Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Raleigh is over-hyped. It's a cool town but the downtown is fairly small and a lot less dense than Richmonds. How they get the attention I'm not sure but Richmond sorely needs better marketing. We have the goods but not enough people know it.

Check out my recent pics from both Richmond and Raleigh at www.picasaweb.google.com/miklospogonyi

Check out my recent pics from both Richmond and Raleigh at www.picasaweb.google.com/miklospogonyi

Thanks for sharing miklos. You have quite a collection there! Now that I have a nice camera I hope to be able to show off Richmond a bit more as well as do more traveling to other cities.

I can't disagree with you more on the interstate overpass though. That's one of my favorite parts of downtown. It gives it a very distinct urban feel and I love hearing the trains and traffic passing overhead. You'll be happy to know that the National is now open and several buildings in the area are being converted (Miller and Rhodes to Hilton Garden Inn) or refurbished (Carpenter Center overhaul with new additions). The once blighted Broad Street is seeing life come back to it. There are still several blocks of "ghetto" in the center but these will slowly be taken over as natural infill takes place between our new collections of galleries and restaurants to the West, refurbished homes and new restaurants in the neighborhood to the North, and entertainment venues/hotels to the East. Hope you visit again when all this work is complete. So where do you hail from?

Hahaha, it's been a MONTH or so! Yes, CommRe. If Norfolk can get a new Wachovia tower, when may Richmond expect a new Class A high rise? And will a well-known Hampton Roads development company and a Richmond law firm be involved? :dontknow:

Always a bad idea to give timeframes...

I'd have to say you are on the right track.

Thanks for sharing miklos. You have quite a collection there! Now that I have a nice camera I hope to be able to show off Richmond a bit more as well as do more traveling to other cities.

I can't disagree with you more on the interstate overpass though. That's one of my favorite parts of downtown. It gives it a very distinct urban feel and I love hearing the trains and traffic passing overhead. You'll be happy to know that the National is now open and several buildings in the area are being converted (Miller and Rhodes to Hilton Garden Inn) or refurbished (Carpenter Center overhaul with new additions). The once blighted Broad Street is seeing life come back to it. There are still several blocks of "ghetto" in the center but these will slowly be taken over as natural infill takes place between our new collections of galleries and restaurants to the West, refurbished homes and new restaurants in the neighborhood to the North, and entertainment venues/hotels to the East. Hope you visit again when all this work is complete. So where do you hail from?

Thanks for your kind words, Whistle-Stop, I live in Philadelphia and my passion is visiting and photographing US cities. As you can perhaps tell, I have a special interest in such topics as trains and train stations, historic preservation, "new urbanist" development, and just generally celebrating and documenting the rebirth of the Amercan city.Richmond is one of my favorite cities and I greatly look forward to my next planned visit this fall. There is so much good happenng there and I agree with you that foremost among them is the revitalization of Broad Street. It's amazing what a magnificent urban space that is. I also love Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, Carytown, Jackson Ward and more. Are you from Richmond?

Thanks for your kind words, Whistle-Stop, I live in Philadelphia and my passion is visiting and photographing US cities. As you can perhaps tell, I have a special interest in such topics as trains and train stations, historic preservation, "new urbanist" development, and just generally celebrating and documenting the rebirth of the Amercan city.Richmond is one of my favorite cities and I greatly look forward to my next planned visit this fall. There is so much good happenng there and I agree with you that foremost among them is the revitalization of Broad Street. It's amazing what a magnificent urban space that is. I also love Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, Carytown, Jackson Ward and more. Are you from Richmond?

I love Philly! The skyline is terrific and there is so much to do and see. My daughter is heading up there tomorrow to visit the haunted prison downtown Philly. Then she is off to Gettysburg to chase more ghosts. Has anyone shown you to the entrances to the collapsed train tunnels?

Edited by D_C

Minor changes sought in city plan

Richmond downtown plan calls for a new skyscraper; Va. Power wants flexibility

The Planning Commission learned at its fourth public hearing on the draft Downtown Master Plan that Dominion Virginia Power wants to rewrite recommendations for the block bounded by Eighth, Ninth, Cary and Canal streets at the northern end of the Manchester Bridge.

Planners see an opportunity for the city to make a bold architectural statement on the gateway property, but Dominion Virginia Power isn't convinced.

Stewart Schwartz, executive director of the Coalition for Smarter Growth, took issue with Dominion Virginia Power's request in part because it comes after residents and others have spent the past year drafting and refining the plan. He credited the utility and other corporations for staying downtown but also said the community's needs must be weighed.

Also last night, NewMarket Corp. expressed concerns about recommendations for its expansive Gamble's Hill property, which will include the headquarters for MeadWestvaco.

The master plan embraces development with a wide range of uses, including corporate offices, research facilities, retail and residential, but it also recommends the protection of river views and vistas from the Virginia War Memorial. Andrew M. Condlin, an attorney for NewMarket, suggested language that the river views and vistas would be considered with future development.

I just noticed I was 6 hours too late on RCW's posting of the article..heh :blush:

Edited by TBurban

This is probably a better place for this discussion for now...

Downtown Parking Improvements proposed

...The state is looking for at least 1,000 new parking spaces in downtown Richmond to support a major expansion of the government's presence there with the pending purchase and renovation of Main Street Centre, also known as the Verizon building, at 600 E. Main St.

The Broad Street Community Development Authority held private discussions yesterday with state and city officials about possible long-term joint parking opportunities, according to a statement released by the authority's board of directors.

The opportunities include construction of a new deck at East Grace and Seventh streets, now a surface parking lot directly facing the new Richmond CenterStage performing-arts center, and the full renovation or replacement of an unfinished parking deck on East Franklin Street.

The five-year-old authority owns both properties but can't afford to build new decks to serve the fast-growing need for parking by new businesses and public institutions downtown. Chief among them is CenterStage, scheduled to open in fall 2009 in the block that formerly housed Thalhimer's department store and the Carpenter Center for the Performing Arts....

I say yuck to parking garages. It is to my understanding that the part of the Downtown vision is hide garages either below or in the center of city blocks. Is that the case?

If a garage is built, hopefully it will have ground floor retail and the capacity of future air rights.

I guess a garage is better than a surface lot.

I say yuck to parking garages. It is to my understanding that the part of the Downtown vision is hide garages either below or in the center of city blocks. Is that the case?

If a garage is built, hopefully it will have ground floor retail and the capacity of future air rights.

I guess a garage is better than a surface lot.

As llong as they keep the current landscaping...

Raleigh is over-hyped. It's a cool town but the downtown is fairly small and a lot less dense than Richmonds. How they get the attention I'm not sure but Richmond sorely needs better marketing. We have the goods but not enough people know it.

ric75,

My sister-in-law lives in Raleigh. Raleigh gets attention because of RTP, Research Triange Park. RTP encompassed the colleges of UNC, NC State and Duke along with the other colleges in the area. The Raleigh-Durham area has many Information Technology companies as well as Pharmaceutical companies. Most importantly, the medical professions are state of the art! Lots of highly specialized physicians live in the Raleigh-Durham area. Many college graduates end up residing in the RDU area because of the many high-end job opportunities available in the area. Raleigh-Durham is definitely having a hugh "growth spurt". RDU Airport caters to the business travelers with many direct flights to cities in the US. American Airlines has a daily non-stop flight to the U.K. Raleigh is a "focus city" for AA since it was a hub for them back in the early to mid 90's.

ric75,

My sister-in-law lives in Raleigh. Raleigh gets attention because of RTP, Research Triange Park. RTP encompassed the colleges of UNC, NC State and Duke along with the other colleges in the area. The Raleigh-Durham area has many Information Technology companies as well as Pharmaceutical companies. Most importantly, the medical professions are state of the art! Lots of highly specialized physicians live in the Raleigh-Durham area. Many college graduates end up residing in the RDU area because of the many high-end job opportunities available in the area. Raleigh-Durham is definitely having a hugh "growth spurt". RDU Airport caters to the business travelers with many direct flights to cities in the US. American Airlines has a daily non-stop flight to the U.K. Raleigh is a "focus city" for AA since it was a hub for them back in the early to mid 90's.

The former Booker T. Washington School in Jackson Ward is to be converted into upscale residential units geared towards senior citizens. This is definitely great news for continuous revival of Jackson Ward.

NBC12 News Link:

http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=8664874

Edited by Shakman

Journi will be pleased to hear this: Mo Roman, the mogul behind BANK & VAULT at 10th and Main and SI, the tapas cafe on Lombardy, is in final negotiations to open his newest Richmond restaurant on the ground floor of Berry Burk at 6th and Grace. It will be called PIE (as in dessert.) Mr. Roman is not noted for speed in his restaurant developments (VAULT may finally open "by Christmas") but according to sources, this is pretty definite.

Also, a national restaurant of significance is in talks with developers about the Grace and 6th Streets ground-floor corner of The Miller & Rhoads Residences.

Construction headquarters (and I'm not sure whether it involves the Performing Arts project or Miller & Rhoads) were moving into the ground level of one of the neat row of shops on Grace between 5th and 6th. According to one of the workers, they got evicted from wherever they were. I was unable to get more info.

Journi will be pleased to hear this: Mo Roman, the mogul behind BANK & VAULT at 10th and Main and SI, the tapas cafe on Lombardy, is in final negotiations to open his newest Richmond restaurant on the ground floor of Berry Burk at 6th and Grace. It will be called PIE (as in dessert.) Mr. Roman is not noted for speed in his restaurant developments (VAULT may finally open "by Christmas") but according to sources, this is pretty definite.

Also, a national restaurant of significance is in talks with developers about the Grace and 6th Streets ground-floor corner of The Miller & Rhoads Residences.

Construction headquarters (and I'm not sure whether it involves the Performing Arts project or Miller & Rhoads) were moving into the ground level of one of the neat row of shops on Grace between 5th and 6th. According to one of the workers, they got evicted from wherever they were. I was unable to get more info.

Burt, I had recently heard that bit of news about Berry Burk... it is a long time coming. Unfortunately I wont live there to enjoy it as a 'walking' treat. Guess I will have to visit from my Church Hill abode. The shop that the construction crews have taken over along grace seems to only be a stockpile location for their equipment. I think they did that to prevent it from getting stolen more so than being evicted from elsewhere. They chain the door- but they also leave a light on at night - the first light on down that stretch in ages - aside from Freemans Mens Wear of course.

I think Ill have more information on that National restuarant for Richmond shortly... I keep running into the developers for Miller and Rhodes and it is only a matter of time before that information spills out...

The former Booker T. Washington School in Jackson Ward is to be converted into upscale residential units geared towards senior citizens. This is definitely great news for continuous revival of Jackson Ward.

NBC12 News Link:

http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=8664874

I went to the ceremonial "ground breaking" last week, heard all the speakers (including Mr. Wilder blaming City Council, as usual, for everything) and took the hard-hat tour.

Burt, I had recently heard that bit of news about Berry Burk...

If you are like me, and you kick-it around downtown at night when it's quiet and you can park anywhere, you will notice that the Berry Burk sign on the roof needs some love. It is flickering and there are lights out and it is making a God-awful buzzing sound that is a little scary.

A little off-topic from the current..but I heard there was a visual in the Times last week of the building proposed in the triangle lot. I know it's nothing final..but would anyone be able to scan a copy ands post it here? Im really curious to see.

More details have been released relative to the now a proposed highrise on the RMA Garage lot. The office portion will rise 15-stories, above 3-floors of parking (18-stories total) and will be the new home for Williams Mullen law firm. Construction could start late this year.

Inrich article:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...07-16-0165.html

Renderings were mentioned in the article. Does anyone know how to find them?

(P.S. I have created a new thread for this project)

TBurban -

I don't think the RTD rendering was an actual proposal. It was just to show how a tower would look on that lot. If you look closely, it ressembles a taller version of the Dominion Tower in Roanoke, VA (IMO).

Edited by Shakman

If you are like me, and you kick-it around downtown at night when it's quiet and you can park anywhere, you will notice that the Berry Burk sign on the roof needs some love. It is flickering and there are lights out and it is making a God-awful buzzing sound that is a little scary.

That sign only works for 4-6 months at a time anyways, it would be about at the end of this time around's run. They only turn it on when it is time to push for new leasee's anyways. Oh well. It looks good for about a month.

Now, I cringe when I walk the dog - wondering when it will explode.

More details have been released relative to the now a proposed highrise on the RMA Garage lot. The office portion will rise 15-stories, above 3-floors of parking (18-stories total) and will be the new home for Williams Mullen law firm. Construction could start late this year.

Inrich article:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...07-16-0165.html

Renderings were mentioned in the article. Does anyone know how to find them?

(P.S. I have created a new thread for this project)

TBurban -

I don't think the RTD rendering was an actual proposal. It was just to show how a tower would look on that lot. If you look closely, it ressembles a taller version of the Dominion Tower in Roanoke, VA (IMO).

Do they always have to ask Pantele what he thinks? Who really gives a flying frick?

I noticed that too with everything else. "What Wilder and Pantele thinks." Why not get an opinion form the Council Member who represents the area.

Oh well, I guess it is one of the perks for being a "high" level City Official.

Who cares what they think. I am really excited about this project. Image seeing Centennial and this rising.

Do they always have to ask Pantele what he thinks? Who really gives a flying frick?

I'd rather hear his comments than Wilder's or Goldman's!

Pantele spoke at the ceremonial "ground breaking" of Booker-T Washington Plaza at 1st and Leigh Streets last week. It is the old school which is being rejuvenated into residential use. It's in Pantele's district.

Edited by burt

Strolling up the alley between Broad, Marshall, 1st and Adams Streets, I discovered an intriguing brick building in the middle of the block. Its address is # 1/2 West Marshall and it's difficult to guess what it ever contained. It's empty, doesn't front on Marshall or Broad, is 2 stories high with a hipped roof and, in my imagination, would make a wonderful playhouse for a company like Henley Street Theatre Company. There is an empty lot from the alley facade of the building to Broad Street. Tarrants is almost directly across the street. A little landscaping of the lot would make a fabulous entryway to the building from Broad.

Incidentally, I understand that Henley Street Theatre is thinking of buying a house across from Marshall Street Cafe and transferring its operations from Pine Camp.

I also noted from the alley that a former empty lot on Broad near Adams is now three floors of steel construction.

I did not get an opportunity to check out progress on RENDEZVOUS the planned nightclub between Tarrants and Bistro 27 on Broad. Does anyone have an update?

Edited by burt