Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Cam you were never the only one. I doubt you'll find anyone that doesn't want more retailers downtown. BUT, National retailers use pro formas and demographics information, etc to choose their locations. You also need someone capable enough to bring them in (ahem, like Douglas Development along Broad Street some day). If you can't tell, downtown doesn't seem like a good spot for most retailers for some reason or another... yet. The clusters forming around VCU are promising. I'm not defending the way things are, but unfortunately there's nothing mythical about it. It has less to do with deep, unresolved, immoral issues and more to do with corporate America.

Inrich article on possible Mayo Island development:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-14-0135.html

Very interesting read. I like the idea from a city homeowner's point of view as it would increase the city's tax base and take some of the strain off of the homeowner in this city. I am not an economist, but I don't know that the demand for another large-scale condominium complex is there. Maybe someone with a better current knowledge of the housing market could ellaborate on that. In My Opinion though, as the county's subdivisions get older, their schools, fire and police departments become over-stressed and gasoline continues to get more expensive, I would think that you will see a bigger migration of people looking to move back into the city center, which would keep the demand high for residences in Richmond.

In My Opinion I would be very suspicious about this plan though, as far as its intentions. It is almost too coincidental that as soon as the proposed Master Plan comes out, showing this property as a public park, a developer appears on the scene with a plan for development, thus, boosting the potential sale price of the land. The city would have an interest in purchasing this island for the public park idea but if there is a viable plan for development, then the sale price could be over-inflated to screw the city taxpayer out of some extra dough.

This proposal also calls for another bridge across the river. Would they use the old rail bridge that runs to River Lofts? Isn't there a live rail bridge that crosses Mayo Island? Would they build a whole new bridge? It would be interesting to see their idea on paper. Wow! 2 new bridges across the James here in town. One for Echo Harbor and one for Mayo Condos.

Don't they know that's the site for our 300 foot statute of Doug Wilder? :P

Oh... I was thinking somewhere along Monument Avenue. :camera:

I would like to see an aquarium as part of the development. I know there is something that resembles one at Maymount Park, but an aquirium at this location could be the beginning of revitalizing the adjacent area of Manchester as well.

Edited by Shakman

In My Opinion I would be very suspicious about this plan though, as far as its intentions. It is almost too coincidental that as soon as the proposed Master Plan comes out, showing this property as a public park, a developer appears on the scene with a plan for development, thus, boosting the potential sale price of the land. The city would have an interest in purchasing this island for the public park idea but if there is a viable plan for development, then the sale price could be over-inflated to screw the city taxpayer out of some extra dough.

This proposal also calls for another bridge across the river. Would they use the old rail bridge that runs to River Lofts? Isn't there a live rail bridge that crosses Mayo Island? Would they build a whole new bridge? It would be interesting to see their idea on paper. Wow! 2 new bridges across the James here in town. One for Echo Harbor and one for Mayo Condos.

This plan, in some form or another and with one developer or another has been in the works for some time now. The owner has looked at doing commercial development here years before the master plan discussions recommended parkland.

Echo Harbour's bridge would not cross the river. It would be interesting to see where a proposed bridge to Mayo for emergency access above the flood plain would be built. If the river were to flood and the flood gates were closed (the purpose for this new bridge), would the bridge have to go overtop of the floodwall?

This plan, in some form or another and with one developer or another has been in the works for some time now. The owner has looked at doing commercial development here years before the master plan discussions recommended parkland.

Echo Harbour's bridge would not cross the river. It would be interesting to see where a proposed bridge to Mayo for emergency access above the flood plain would be built. If the river were to flood and the flood gates were closed (the purpose for this new bridge), would the bridge have to go overtop of the floodwall?

I didn't know that this had been in the works for a good while. Thanks for setting me straight.

As for the bridge, I remember crossing a rail bridge to the west of Mayo Bridge from Virginia Street to the Southside bank many years ago. Is this old rail line still being used? Also, what are the regulations regarding this access bridge? Does it have to accomodate vehicles or could it just be a foot bridge like the one under the Lee Bridge? If the latter is sufficient, then a similar foot bridge could maybe be constructed under I-95.

As for the aquarium, boy, that would be a mess, having to evacuate all of those creatures in the event of a flood. I don't know that we would want any runaway sharks, pirrhanna or barracuda lurking in the James. It was freaky enough back when that Manatee swam up to the 14th street bridge. Anyone remember that?

Edited by D_C

I didn't know that this had been in the works for a good while. Thanks for setting me straight.

As for the bridge, I remember crossing a rail bridge to the west of Mayo Bridge from Virginia Street to the Southside bank many years ago. Is this old rail line still being used? Also, what are the regulations regarding this access bridge? Does it have to accomodate vehicles or could it just be a foot bridge like the one under the Lee Bridge? If the latter is sufficient, then a similar foot bridge could maybe be constructed under I-95.

As for the aquarium, boy, that would be a mess, having to evacuate all of those creatures in the event of a flood. I don't know that we would want any runaway sharks, pirrhanna or barracuda lurking in the James. It was freaky enough back when that Manatee swam up to the 14th street bridge. Anyone remember that?

Oh that's right, the article did say it was a flood zone. Sometimes I let mind to the wondering. :ph34r:

Would you be saying the same thing if you were a coporate CEO making millions? :shades:

Yes.

... for other companies...

jbjust, it's not 300 feet, it's 700 and solid gold... how could you forget?

Edited by Cadeho

The manatee was a welcomed rare sight!

I was going to place my new stamp here, but I'm going to wait and see. I didn't particularly agree with the idea for the island in the master plan. I've always favored a city-identifying monument that could become a national monument placed on the island and dominate the skyline. If a tower were to rise on the island, I wonder, how many other places have towers in the middle of rivers? That would be interesting in itself. Whatever they build, it would be a landmark and with that already in its description, why not compliment that with striking architecture? Try something organic and fluid to play off the river.

The manatee was a welcomed rare sight!

I was going to place my new stamp here, but I'm going to wait and see. I didn't particularly agree with the idea for the island in the master plan. I've always favored a city-identifying monument that could become a national monument placed on the island and dominate the skyline. If a tower were to rise on the island, I wonder, how many other places have towers in the middle of rivers? That would be interesting in itself. Whatever they build, it would be a landmark and with that already in its description, why not compliment that with striking architecture? Try something organic and fluid to play off the river.

How about a new City Jail? It could be like a mini-Alcatraz.

• 2 weeks later...

There was Council Meeting yesterday afternoon relative to the City's marina development and other topics relative riverfront development. The areas discussed were mainly east of Tobacco Row. While attending, City officials indicated that the Fulton Gas Works site has generated interest from large retailers.

The inrich article link below is about the City's marina:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-27-0128.html

I'm beginning not to favor a marina. Although I don't think Tyler knows Rocketts would be private and Richmond's would be public. I'd rather see that riverfront at the Intermediate terminal developed into retail and office with some public boat access. No towers except the one planned at Nicholson and Main. Actually they could build towers all along Main. I have always imagined Main from Peebles to Nicholson lined with shops. Interesting interest in the gas works...

• 1 month later...