Richmond Developments

Cotuit

I'm sure I've mentioned this somewhere, but QUALITY INN at 2nd and Cary Streets is now HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS.

I'm glad you mentioned that Burt because I almost forgot to mention that I saw the new sign up this morning when I ran by. I was also very happy to see the barricades on Main St. where Centennial will (hopefully) be built.

I noticed in last Sunday's TD Building permits column that developer Ron Stallings is building "an attached three story multi-family dwelling with retail space on the 1st floor" at 516 North 2nd Street at a cost of $505,000. There's nothing remarkable about this except that it is in the same block as The Hippodrome Theatre and just down the street from the newly renovated building at the corner of 2nd and Clay. And didn't someone tell us that all the condos in the renovated 2nd & Clay building have sold?

• 3 weeks later...

According to yesterday's RTD Reat Estate section, The 700 Building (700 East Main Street) has been sold to BH Rosenberg LLC. The new owner plans to make "substantial" renovations to this 18-story highrise. Wells Fargo Bank sold it for $8.15 million.

For those of you not familiar with this building, it is the ugly white building at the corner of E. Main and 7th.

I hope renovation plans include a facade makeover. :thumbsup:

Thalhimer News Link: http://www.thalhimer.com/releases.php?artID=700

Edited by Shakman

I know we're all hoping for aesthetic improvements :) ... but the difference between the two is that 7th and Franklin has a pretty high occupancy rate for B space downtown, whereas 700 E Main is below 50% I think... and it could use some work inside as well.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Here's an interesting story NBC12 did today:

Urban Condos fairing well in Richmond

Since the link will be inactive soon, here's some good excerpts:

On the Miller and Rhoads Hilton Garden Inn:

A historic Richmond property is expected to breathe new life into downtown. The former Miller and Rhoads department store is being renovated into a Hilton Garden Inn with an adjoining condominium complex.

Mayor Doug Wilder toured the construction site Tuesday afternoon with his new chief administrative officer. The $100 million development is expected to be complete by next spring, putting more condos into the local real-estate market. But will there be enough buyers?

On the urban condo market in Richmond:

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I went down to the Bottom the day before Thanksgiving aiming to eat at the City Bar or Havana 59 and were surprised to see that the widely-touted lighting under the overpasses were all out and the parking area was extremely dark and scary. Was this a one-night thing or has it been out regularly?

My wife and I went down to the Bottom the day before Thanksgiving aiming to eat at the City Bar or Havana 59 and were surprised to see that the widely-touted lighting under the overpasses were all out and the parking area was extremely dark and scary. Was this a one-night thing or has it been out regularly?

Uh oh! The naked flag pole/dry fountains syndrome??? UGH!!!!

When I was in Richmond in October I went down to the Bottom on two different nights. The first time, the blue lights looked great, but on the seciond visit, they looked dim and faded. I thought it perhaps was my aging eyesight, but now I wonder?

Deutsche Lufthansa AG said it is paying $300 million for a 19 percent stake in Jet Blue, according to a blurb on today's RTD biz page. (I subscribed to the electronic version, thanks to CommRe.)

"The move, which could be a precursor to an eventual takeover if U.S. laws are changed, comes as the euro has risen significantly against the dollar, making U.S. companies seem like bargains for European buyers."

Maybe it's also a precursor to RIC/Frankfort flights. :w00t: Just joking. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Although this story deals with the restaurant business, I am placing it here because of its pertinence to licensing, approvals and other ordeals small businesses must endure in dealing with Richmond bureaucracy. Je Depew who held on to JUMPIN' J'S JAVA on Jefferson Avenue in Church Hill certainly is not without recrimination, but she tried and deserves kudos for her efforts. Maybe the city should take bigger strides to resolve inefficiencies.

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15991

Edited by burt

Sorry if this has been posted before, but does anyone know what is going on with the building "attached" to the Lofts at Canal Walk around 20th and Cary near the bottom? It's right across the street from the VA Holocaust Museum. They have been renovating an old building there for some time now (at least a year) and I'm just curious if there is any info on it...thanks.

Edited by VPDcurt

Sorry if this has been posted before, but does anyone know what is going on with the building "attached" to the Lofts at Canal Walk around 20th and Cary near the bottom? It's right across the street from the VA Holocaust Museum. They have been renovating an old building there for some time now (at least a year) and I'm just curious if there is any info on it...thanks.

Yes, the 7-story former warehouse is the final phase of The Lofts at Canal Walk which should be ready for occupancy in a month or two. It was a Philip Morris cigarette factory (or was it Ligget & Myers?). Anyway, it and the Lucky Strike warehouse on Cary between 26th and Pear Streets are the last two renovations along Tobacco Row. All except the Edgeworth Building and the Holocaust Museum are residential. In fact, with its completion the tan building will be part of an entire block bounded by 20th, Main, 21st and Cary streets called The Lofts at Canal Walk. You can see more about it along with pictures (I think) in the Tobacco Row thread. If photos are not there, they are in Richmond in Pictures threads 1, 2 and 3.

I sure hope it finishes soon. That area has been a disaster ever since construction began there. The road is all messed up and the traffic has been redirected to Main St. every so often. The most annoying part is the lack of foot traffic in that area between the flood wall and the lofts at canal walk. Hopefully this will improve significantly. I'm just wondering where all of the residents are going to park. The Lofts at Canal Walk have a "free" lot for residents - adjacent to Have a Nice Day Cafe - but I don't think that has enough spaces to accomodate many more residents.

I sure hope it finishes soon. That area has been a disaster ever since construction began there. The road is all messed up and the traffic has been redirected to Main St. every so often. The most annoying part is the lack of foot traffic in that area between the flood wall and the lofts at canal walk. Hopefully this will improve significantly. I'm just wondering where all of the residents are going to park. The Lofts at Canal Walk have a "free" lot for residents - adjacent to Have a Nice Day Cafe - but I don't think that has enough spaces to accomodate many more residents.

I may be mistaken, but I believe there is going to be some parking for residents within the tower building. I haven't been there for some months, but are they not providing space on the south side of Cary Street for parking like the other Tobacco Row buildings? Also, seems to me there's a lot of unused space in the Holocaust Museum lot on two levels...one at Cary Street and another below it toward Dock Street between 21st and 22nd.

Although this story deals with the restaurant business, I am placing it here because of its pertinence to licensing, approvals and other ordeals small businesses must endure in dealing with Richmond bureaucracy. Je Depew who held on to JUMPIN' J'S JAVA on Jefferson Avenue in Church Hill certainly is not without recrimination, but she tried and deserves kudos for her efforts. Maybe the city should take bigger strides to resolve inefficiencies.

http://styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=15991

Great article. I missed picking up Style this week because of the holiday, so thanks for posting the link!

burt -- There's some info in there about the red-tape you were asking about in the restaurants thread. The comments are very much on point.

The city doesn