Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Strolling up the alley between Broad, Marshall, 1st and Adams Streets, I discovered an intriguing brick building in the middle of the block. Its address is # 1/2 West Marshall and it's difficult to guess what it ever contained. It's empty, doesn't front on Marshall or Broad, is 2 stories high with a hipped roof and, in my imagination, would make a wonderful playhouse for a company like Henley Street Theatre Company. There is an empty lot from the alley facade of the building to Broad Street. Tarrants is almost directly across the street. A little landscaping of the lot would make a fabulous entryway to the building from Broad.

Incidentally, I understand that Henley Street Theatre is thinking of buying a house across from Marshall Street Cafe and transferring its operations from Pine Camp.

I also noted from the alley that a former empty lot on Broad near Adams is now three floors of steel construction.

I did not get an opportunity to check out progress on RENDEZVOUS the planned nightclub between Tarrants and Bistro 27 on Broad. Does anyone have an update?

Peering through the windows within the past few weeks has shown me a poshly designed space- reminiscent of the high-class DC or NYC venues... should be a real draw for the Richmond-elitists...

Interesting editorial on downtown Richmond today:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/opinion.apx....07-21-0006.html

The 15-story corporate tower proposed for downtown will be a welcome addition to the city's economy and skyline. The Williams Mullen building will rise at 10th and Canal and will claim One James Center and Riverfront Plaza as neighbors. The news makes us muse -- about downtown's past, present, and future.

Main Street once not only conveyed an address but served as a political and social symbol. For many years the city's banks, brokerages, financial houses, and law firms clustered around Main. Nationally "Main Street" signified small-town values; in Richmond and Virginia "Main Street" signified political and economic clout. Main was Richmond's version of Wall Street and Madison Avenue.

Some years ago office buildings began migrating to the riverfront. Although Main retains considerable vitality, Canal rates as a new hub. We doubt crusading populists will denounce Canal Street! with the vigor they once denounced Main Street!, however. Canal lacks the ting of the pitchfork....

Here is another interesting article that everyone on this board is probably aware of anyway. This may serve as an extreme wake-up call for the suburbanites.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1216428663...=googlenews_wsj

Get your property, hold onto it and get ready for the wave of county-dwellers to find their way back home. Once it becomes "trendy" or starts to be pushed by the Wall Street Journal, you can bet that it will snowball.

Here is another interesting article that everyone on this board is probably aware of anyway. This may serve as an extreme wake-up call for the suburbanites.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1216428663...=googlenews_wsj

Get your property, hold onto it and get ready for the wave of county-dwellers to find their way back home. Once it becomes "trendy" or starts to be pushed by the Wall Street Journal, you can bet that it will snowball.

We all saw this coming eventually and gas prices are only going to accelerate this trend. This is great news for the redevelopment of America's downtown. I just hope they don't bring their stressed-out suburban attitudes with them. By and large downtown Richmond is far more laid back than the burbs are. I want to see more people and more retail but I don't want to lose quality of life.

And to somewhat piggyback on DC's article,

Row House Soaps opens Downtown on Main Street

Maybe I should just do a review, having went in this store about 2 weeks or so ago...

Very thorough knowledge of soaps... and you can't miss the place as they leave the door open to let the smell permeate... and it is the best that section of the city has smelled... ever!

Make a pit stop... I recommend the Kitchen Soap to get grease, etc. off of your hands... all while naturally rejuvanating your skin....

• 2 weeks later...

My dad was telling me today we wouldnt go to a professional baseball game ever again if the stadium went back downtown because he doesnt want to pay to park and then pay for 3 tickets and then pay for food and drinks and for other stuff. Its gonna get too costly for people to go to a ballgame if people have to start paying for parking,food/drinks,tickets and etc. I dont know if people will want to spend that much money just to see a ball game. Unless they lower the price to park or give people discounts to park for not being parked that long. To me its just gonna cost too much money for the fans to see a minor league game.

Edited by Downtowner

My dad was telling me today we wouldnt go to a professional baseball game ever again if the stadium went back downtown because he doesnt want to pay to park and then pay for 3 tickets and then pay for food and drinks and for other stuff. Its gonna get too costly for people to go to a ballgame if people have to start paying for parking,food/drinks,tickets and etc. I dont know if people will want to spend that much money just to see a ball game. Unless they lower the price to park or give people discounts to park for not being parked that long. To me its just gonna cost too much money for the fans to see a minor league game.

Fans throughout the U.S. go to Downtown ballparks to watch Minor League games. Imagine the Majors.

Unfortunately a lot of suburban people say they won't go downtown for ANYTHING. But these same people sure are not filling the Diamond despite its ample parking and cheap eats. Richmond is still last in attendance in the IL and they weren't falling over themselves buying tickets last year, either, when the RBraves were League Champs.

Downtown ballparks are doing just fine in cities like Memphis, Louisville, and Greensboro, for example. And one in Richmond would be just as successfull, IMO.

People are going downtown much more frequently to see and hear music acts; comedians; Wrestling, et cetera now that The National, Toads, Capital Ale, The Canal Club,The Landmark and the Coliseum are booking acts people want to see. Also, the Club and restaurant scene is hotter in The Bottom, The Slip, The Fan, Center City, and Carytown than anywhere in the counties.

But I agree with your Dad. Parking should be easily available and cheap.

The story about developments on the Boulevard, while acknowledging a stadium is not in the plans, did not indicate that a downtown ballpark is under considerstion. Maybe Richmond's next team will play in Short Pump or Midlothian.

Burt, please go wash your hands! And while you have the soap, lather up a washcloth and string it through your ears. Wash that thought of any RICHMOND team playing in Short Pump or Midlothian. They would not be Richmond's team if that were the case.

Maybe they have another idea... remember they had floated an idea of relocating the Coliseum out there. I wonder if that's still in the plans? I think it'd be awful to move an arena out of downtown. We need that there. I'd welcome an inner city big box Mecca if they plan it right. if it looks like Richmond and not the suburbs and uses decks I'd love it. Maybe they'll consider building another stadium in Manchester facing the skyline? I know they say that Norfolk Southern won't give up its land but can't the city just take it? If they build a stadium with decks parking won't be that bad... but if they looked at Shockoe Bottom again, parking as far as prices shouldn't be that bad downtown. What games are played during business hours? Parking's free after 6PM and on weekends. Parking is basically free anyway in the bottom on the street. I do wish we didn't have any private pay lots at all. If they looked at a stadium in the Bottom again, would the purple martins (a good name for a team) stand in the way?

Burt, please go wash your hands! And while you have the soap, lather up a washcloth and string it through your ears. Wash that thought of any RICHMOND team playing in Short Pump or Midlothian. They would not be Richmond's team if that were the case.

Maybe they have another idea... remember they had floated an idea of relocating the Coliseum out there. I wonder if that's still in the plans? I think it'd be awful to move an arena out of downtown. We need that there. I'd welcome an inner city big box Mecca if they plan it right. if it looks like Richmond and not the suburbs and uses decks I'd love it. Maybe they'll consider building another stadium in Manchester facing the skyline? I know they say that Norfolk Southern won't give up its land but can't the city just take it? If they build a stadium with decks parking won't be that bad... but if they looked at Shockoe Bottom again, parking as far as prices shouldn't be that bad downtown. What games are played during business hours? Parking's free after 6PM and on weekends. Parking is basically free anyway in the bottom on the street. I do wish we didn't have any private pay lots at all. If they looked at a stadium in the Bottom again, would the purple martins (a good name for a team) stand in the way?

See my comments in Richmond Events thread dated July 27th. :P

Well Burt... I suppose if they build a stadium, the roof can be covered in the pear trees. We can have a very unique stadium with those there. Let's just hope no balls hit any of them. I watched them become a tornado of thousands of birds yesterday evening from Jefferson Hill Park where they come in pretty close up there.

Huh? You already pay $3 to park at the diamond, and pay for tickets, and pay for food/drinks/memorabilia if you want to. If a stadium were to be built downtown, I highly doubt you'd pay for parking by the hour. People don't pay by the hour for other events downtown. There is event parking for events at the Coliseum, National, Toad's, Convention Center, etc, which is never more than $5 (and you can often find $3 parking in the evenings).

...And so what if parking is $5 for a game downtown?! Sure, that would be a lot now because the experience isn't that great at its current location (The Diamond). A downtown stadium, if done correctly, will enhance the baseball experience for fans, making the extra $5 totally worth it!

Edited by eandslee

You wouldnt have to pay for parking if you were riding a light rail line in... maybe 2 dollar round trip?

yeah I just hope its cheap to park down there like it is on the boulevard. If it gets more expensive for just to park your car down in shockoe bottom then I dont know what it will be like to have a downtown stadium I mean dont get me wrong I really want it to work but with the way people think in this town I dont know if it will get the right message out to people. But I really hope it does. I mean not only that but I hope whatever team comes to Richmond gives fans the right message cause the way I see it right now it seems to me that people are still dwelling on the loss of the braves still talking about how it was there childhood team growing up and how we should all go to the last game and congratulate them for all they have done here. I just hope the new team can do the same and stay as long as they can unless a better opportunity comes across.

Edited by Downtowner

Its not the braves that are telling us when we are free it is Minor League Baseball executives and the IL President Randy Mobley. But your exactly right they are taking there sweet time and being stupid about it cause to me they should know by now if it will be ready or not. I know how frustrated Mike Berry is right now cause im sure it really is frustrating when they take there dear sweet time like this.