Union Square

FYI, we got word from Brad that more units have sold (their website isn't updated yet). We're waiting for one more piece of the puzzle before we reserve a unit, but that could be any day now.

Anyone been by lately to check out construction progress?

Haven't been by but there are some nice pics at the Union Square website at the bottom of the owner's update section.

http://www.unionsquaregr.com/ownerupdate.htm

We did get out interior selection guide yesterday! There are a ton of cool options, and the prices are real nice. It's gonna be a tough process trying to put everything together. One question I'd like to through out there... I've heard that granite counters are a must, and I've heard they don't add any value to the unit.... any opinions?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question I'd like to through out there... I've heard that granite counters are a must, and I've heard they don't add any value to the unit.... any opinions?

If you put two condos next to each other that were the same, but one had granite and was a bit more, I'd pay the little bit extra and have granite. SO much nicer. That's this guy's opinion.

Anybody out there buying an 850ish sq ft place? PM me.

One thing to keep in mind is that countertops are generally pretty easy to change out later, and there are some granite/marble dealers in the (ahem) area that sell for pretty cheap. If you put in standard formica with intentions to change it out relatively soon, try to have them install without backsplashes (then you won't have to do drywall repair later) :thumbsup:

Yes, granite is a must. Most of the floor plans have kitchens in the main living area. You will be seeing the counters every waking moment. ONe cheaper option may be to do just the "bar height" in granite and the regular counter in laminate (say, black maybe?). I was there last night. It looks good. Saw some more units with windows. Wow. Steel doors for $300. What a steal (pun intended)

Haven't been by but there are some nice pics at the Union Square website at the bottom of the owner's update section.

http://www.unionsquaregr.com/ownerupdate.htm

We did get out interior selection guide yesterday! There are a ton of cool options, and the prices are real nice. It's gonna be a tough process trying to put everything together. One question I'd like to through out there... I've heard that granite counters are a must, and I've heard they don't add any value to the unit.... any opinions?

Just curious... which floor are you on? Are they sending out the interior selection guide by floor? We were told we would get ours before the holidays and we haven't seen it yet. We are on the 2nd floor.

Just curious... which floor are you on? Are they sending out the interior selection guide by floor? We were told we would get ours before the holidays and we haven't seen it yet. We are on the 2nd floor.

We havent gotten ours yet either (We are 1st floor).

We will be getting concrete countertops :)

If you haven't been by Union Square lately, you should see it. Work is progressing quickly right now with most of the old windows taken out to gut the rooms and be replaced. There is a lot of construction occuring on the new two-story addition to the top. The west side penthouses on the top have all the steel beams in place with exterior work starting, and the east side beams are being put in place right now. They have a crane on site too! :) Now we need some construction update pics...

We are on the 4th floor. They told us that they are sending them out by floor starting at the top, staggering them about 2 weeks (penthouses last). I don't know about anyone else but I get the feeling move-in dates are going to get pushed back, way back, which I know is typical..... but annoying.

Hmmm...I'll check w/ Brad on any known delays. We might be stopping by this weekend to chat w/ him and have a look around. Makes me a little nervous about selling our house too early.

Thus far, no one has mentioned finishes being extra expense. For those of you picking out finishes, are standard "ho-hum" countertops, etc included in the price and just "fancy" stuff costing extra? Just want to be prepared for any bills from left field.

I like that look, is it more or less expensive than granite?

I think concrete may be more expensive than granite, but I think it will stand the test of time (trend-wise) better. If I could have anything, I'd go for honed limestone. Concrete has to be sealed periodically but they tell me it's not a big deal. If you want to see some nice granite countertops, Art of the Table has some beautiful green ones at the store on Wealthy. And you can find whole books on granite countertops and other granite projects in bookstores. It's kind of a Zen thing.

I think concrete may be more expensive than granite, but I think it will stand the test of time (trend-wise) better. If I could have anything, I'd go for honed limestone. Concrete has to be sealed periodically but they tell me it's not a big deal. If you want to see some nice granite countertops, Art of the Table has some beautiful green ones at the store on Wealthy. And you can find whole books on granite countertops and other granite projects in bookstores. It's kind of a Zen thing.

When American Seating was still finishing the "Luxury Condo/Apt", one guy actually had two units connected (one as an office).. EVERYTHING was granite, w/"unfinished" edges. Looked SOOOOO good

Take a look tomorrow's Home & Garden section in the Press. Apparently, granite is no longer "in style".

But apparently honed granite is... or at least becoming so. Why would you want something that you can barely even touch without leaving a stain and really doesn't look much different from concrete? :huh:

But apparently honed granite is... or at least becoming so. Why would you want something that you can barely even touch without leaving a stain and really doesn't look much different from concrete? :huh:

Here is a photo update from today (1/8/06)

unionsq.jpg

Is this that old school by US 131 and I196? Is anyone seriously considering moving here? Just curious. I personally would not want the interestate literally in my back yard . . . .but that is just me . . . .

Hehe.. read the thread, there's bunches of people moving there. :D GREAT price on downtown living in my opinion.. I would move there.

Is this that old school by US 131 and I196? Is anyone seriously considering moving here? Just curious. I personally would not want the interestate literally in my back yard . . . .but that is just me . . . .

Go visit the models, you'd be surprised how little of an issue the interstate actually is. Of course, you'll have the last laugh when some car jumps the rail and sails through my window, but what are the odds of that, really? On another note, do the owners of Union Square condos on this site ever think about getting together?

Paris, don't say that! We just put down our reservation $$$ yesterday for 241. I think we're going to have a great time there, and we'll be supporting downtown (in a really cool place). Personally, I can't wait until these puppies are finished so we can get out of the 'burbs.

Hopefully they can nail down a good restaurant/bar to open in the commercial space. When that happens, I'll buy you a drink after we move in!

Archived