Union Square

Geez, i can't believe there's two people on this board who knows when only a handful of us are supposed to know. I guess i missed the wink wink nudge nudge when it was told to keep it top secret!

It's Rooks' project so he should be the one that announces it. I'd love to let the cat out of the bag but I don't want to do that too him. I'm sure there are good reasons why he hasn't made it public yet. Maybe he wants to make sure all the numbers work before he makes it public unlike many others in town who announce things just to see their names in the press.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me say hi first. I've been a regular lurker for the ahhhh last year and a half and have read almost every single post. I'll stop being such a creep and start posting now! I'm 27 and really love the urban lifestyle and the possibilities Grand Rapids has. I also love what downtown/uptown/midtown/westside Grand Rapids is.

My Girlfriend just bought our condo on the 4th floor at UnionSquare. I think a couple others are on the 4th here...can't wait until we all move in. I've been over there quite a bit recently and am amazed with the progress. We're moving from Heritage Hill area...after we fell in love with the project and the possibilities for the area.

What kind of shops, bars, restaurants, do you think the westside needs now that we're heading there? I would like to see a Martha's-esque store eventually. And not to get all NIMBY...but maybe the area is getting a little too un-filthy for the cinamini II. Maybe we could buy them a plot of land in Hudsonville or Zeeland. They'd love the wackshack!

Let me say hi first. I've been a regular lurker for the ahhhh last year and a half and have read almost every single post. I'll stop being such a creep and start posting now! I'm 27 and really love the urban lifestyle and the possibilities Grand Rapids has. I also love what downtown/uptown/midtown/westside Grand Rapids is.

My Girlfriend just bought our condo on the 4th floor at UnionSquare. I think a couple others are on the 4th here...can't wait until we all move in. I've been over there quite a bit recently and am amazed with the progress. We're moving from Heritage Hill area...after we fell in love with the project and the possibilities for the area.

What kind of shops, bars, restaurants, do you think the westside needs now that we're heading there? I would like to see a Martha's-esque store eventually. And not to get all NIMBY...but maybe the area is getting a little too un-filthy for the cinamini II. Maybe we could buy them a plot of land in Hudsonville or Zeeland. They'd love the wackshack!

Let me be the first to welcome you, glad to see another lurker come out of the shadow and join the happy family called Urban Planet Grand Rapids Metro.

I agree with getting rid of cinimini. That spot, along with the DADDS garage, would make a great location for a retail development. Martha's would be a great start, along with the usual dry cleaners/video stores/coffee shops that would help add amenities and serve the neighborhood better.

Welcome GrandRiverCityKid!

Or, better yet, let's transform the cinamini into an independent film venue! (I've actually never even walked by this place. Judging by the name, it's probably one of those quarter-fed jobbies.)

GRCK...which unit did you guys get? We deliberated over 409B for a looooooong time but decided it wasn't big enough for our bar, theater seating, blah blah blah.

Or, better yet, let's transform the cinamini into an independent film venue! (I've actually never even walked by this place. Judging by the name, it's probably one of those quarter-fed jobbies.)

GRCK...which unit did you guys get? We deliberated over 409B for a looooooong time but decided it wasn't big enough for our bar, theater seating, blah blah blah.

We're in 431---it was a late addition to the floor plans. It's not a large one, 1000 sq ft maybe...a loft over looking a courtyard. I think we're the small guys on the block! We're very excited about it though... we're just starting out.

Welcome GRCK! It's usually good to be one of the small guys on the block (best investment).

Someone here a while back mentioned a rumor that the Cinimini and Dadds might go to make way for a development (fluffy or twoshort?). From the outside, the cinimini does not need to be saved for anything.

Welcome GRCK! It's usually good to be one of the small guys on the block (best investment).

Someone here a while back mentioned a rumor that the Cinimini and Dadds might go to make way for a development (fluffy or twoshort?). From the outside, the cinimini does not need to be saved for anything.

But how about the inside? Is that worth saving, GRDad? ;)

I read that too, but I didn't write it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody heard any rumblings about the kinds of restaurants, bars, retailers that might go up inside or around Union Square? I've checked with Brad a couple times and he says the commercial space inside the condos hasn't been sold/assigned to anyone yet (except the smaller commercial spaces that some residents are using as offices). I'm just really hoping we get a cool, swanky bar/coffee shop/eatery to set up shop inside the building.

Anybody heard any rumblings about the kinds of restaurants, bars, retailers that might go up inside or around Union Square? I've checked with Brad a couple times and he says the commercial space inside the condos hasn't been sold/assigned to anyone yet (except the smaller commercial spaces that some residents are using as offices). I'm just really hoping we get a cool, swanky bar/coffee shop/eatery to set up shop inside the building.

Any rumors or rumblings??? Anything new in the works for the neighborhood??? Throw us a bone...

We're in 431---it was a late addition to the floor plans. It's not a large one, 1000 sq ft maybe...a loft over looking a courtyard. I think we're the small guys on the block!

1000sq ft, thats like, huge at Union Square.

(We have like, 900) but ground floor with a small front yard, and courtyard access.

Archived