Union Square

OK, to get this thread back on track: who among us owners are keeping/buying original school fixtures to decorate their suites? Our condo doesn't really have any original stuff, except for door frames, windows frames, etc. I'm thinking of adding a chalkboard because the price is pretty good and I want some of that school "vibe".

I have some. How big a chalkboard? Where are you thinking of putting it? Could be very school cool.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "old school" stuff is really important to me. We have a built in cabinet that runs the length of one of our walls. We've also opted to have the school doors for every door in our unit and kept an existing fire drill sign near our entrance door. Almost every floor surface of our condo will be refinished hardwood.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a huge open-house weekend when most of the units are finished? I want to see what everyone else did to their condos. :good:

The more I read on this thread and after just reading the 2 page article in the February issue of the Commercial Quarterly, I am so jealous :sick: I don't have a space there . .. the brownstone models on the 1st floor are going to be awesome . .I admit I was a bit skeptical that people would want to live right next to a major interstate innerchange . . . but I guess that doesn't matter. Every time I drive by the building . .I want to stop and peek into the finished model . . .and incorporating items from the school (chalkboards, doors, lights) is brilliant . . . too cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paris, we're actually making the "study" into a poker room, and I thought it would be pretty sweet to stick the chalkboard there on one wall. We're also thinking of doing laminate in the upper level, and carpet on the lower (if we can afford it with all the other upgrades we want). I love the idea of having an open house once everyone's in! Wonder if all the penthouse owners will feel the same way ;-)

Speaking of penthouses, we got a letter today informing us of some major construction up top. All visits onsite have to be arranged and accompanied for a while. FYI.

OK, to get this thread back on track: who among us owners are keeping/buying original school fixtures to decorate their suites? Our condo doesn't really have any original stuff, except for door frames, windows frames, etc. I'm thinking of adding a chalkboard because the price is pretty good and I want some of that school "vibe".

I had them yank the chalk boards out of my place. I'm just going with the old school doors, that's about it.

Paris, we're actually making the "study" into a poker room, and I thought it would be pretty sweet to stick the chalkboard there on one wall. We're also thinking of doing laminate in the upper level, and carpet on the lower (if we can afford it with all the other upgrades we want). I love the idea of having an open house once everyone's in! Wonder if all the penthouse owners will feel the same way ;-)

Speaking of penthouses, we got a letter today informing us of some major construction up top. All visits onsite have to be arranged and accompanied for a while. FYI.

A poker room - fantastic! I myself have been shopping for the perfect dining room table that would also be good for poker. But that's pretty hard, so I think I'm going to have to go with what's best for dining and studying. Can I come play poker at your place? I'll bring snacks! The chalkboard would be very cool in there. You can keep score or write insults throughout the game. You could also use it for Pictionary - get yourself a big bucket of colored chalk and have a ball. I can't remember which unit you bought. I'm on the 4th floor. I still think we should have a meet-up. People can discuss their upgrades and get ideas and input; why wait until we have an open house - there'll be plenty of time for that later. PM me if you're interested, GrandRiverCityKid, charonman, mojitomandy, mike10, tarkin79, mdlgrmi, omnivore, rallymatt, gat, luma, et al.

Hey all, another Unionsquare owner coming out of the woodwork. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything new on the commecial space being filled. I thought this was supposed to be revield around the new years.

ps - I almost drove into the concrete wall on the ramp going from 131 to 96 because I was starring at my condo :wacko:

O and count me in for some poker

don't know what is going in there, but saw the large windows in the old auditorium coming out, wow.

If you mean the south side, they've been boarded up for a long time. I drove by this morning with my camera thinking maybe you meant the boards were out and they were putting in windows. :D

For awhile it seemed like construction was moving kinda slow, and I know in reality it wasn't because there's a lot of inside work being done, but seeing all the work that's happening on the outside including the penthouses on top is really exiciting to watch progress.

When I drove by a couple of days ago (and tried not to drive off the overpass), some of the plywood was off and they were working on this area. Drove by today and it was all blocked off again...oh well. The penthouses look great tho

:rofl::rofl: I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one almost driving off the road trying to catch a peak at the work going on. I told you guys a long time ago in this thread that Chicagoans heading North this Summer are going to go like :w00t: when they see it.

Hey all, another Unionsquare owner coming out of the woodwork. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything new on the commecial space being filled. I thought this was supposed to be revield around the new years.

I was wondering the same thing. I keep asking, but so far I've heard "there have been a number of bids but nothing accepted yet". We've got our fingers crossed for some kind of coffee shop/bistro/bar facility. That would kick butt.

I was wondering the same thing. I keep asking, but so far I've heard "there have been a number of bids but nothing accepted yet". We've got our fingers crossed for some kind of coffee shop/bistro/bar facility. That would kick butt.

A bar in the building you live in does not kick butt in any way shape or form..

-Matt (Who lived above the waterworks for a year)

:rofl::rofl: I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one almost driving off the road trying to catch a peak at the work going on. I told you guys a long time ago in this thread that Chicagoans heading North this Summer are going to go like :w00t: when they see it.

I with you on this one too! I guess we will know who all the UP people are because their cars will be the ones on the news because they drove their cars off the overpass. :shok:

Went in yesterday and started putting together the finishes. Pretty well done, but we've got a week to mull over our decisions. Metal formica on walls, ceilings, floors, countertops...everywhere! (Just kidding.) Laminate in half and granite countertops in kitchen, solid in master bath, metal formica in guest bath. Exciting stuff!

There were really cheap, have the urban loft appeal, and are close to downtown.

Did I mention they were cheap?

Not to mention fricking awesome inside. And I'd prefer "Affordable" compared to the quarter million dollar and up starting point you usually see d/t right now

Archived