River House Condominiums

GRCentro

Oh man... It's CRANE TIME BABY!! woohoo!

GO GR!

BTW...

When spring comes around someone go down to the river and keep an eye out for a crane (as in the bird) and take an awesome picture with both the bird and the machinery and building going up in the background!

Yeah, I know it's an awesome idea :P

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all need to watch a discovery channel special on heavy machinery for release or something. The C word comes up more frequently here than the Dubai forums. Yes GR is looking like Dubai for the 100th time.

I'm only kidding now... don't take offense.

I'm going to start referring to River House as the Burj Grand Rapids.

I'm sure it's just there for assembly. Eventually the tower crane will climb to over 400', and they have "little red" there to help (the crane that has been working there since foundation work began).

Confirmed :D My boss just talked to the operator of the Gelock crane (it's his brother-in-law :) ). His machine is there just to set up the tower crane.

I'll see everyone on the parking ramp in about an hour for a crane watching party.

I can't make it, but I just got back from there and here's a little taste of what you'll see. They have 10 sections of crane installed, the cab, part of the rotating mechanism and boom on site, so I imagine it will be topped off this afternoon or early tomorrow. I can't get back over there today, so get lots o pics Sparky! :yahoo:

397769972_fe84c0c7ca_b.jpg

397847821_33d3b9bd14_b.jpg

397770000_6f924cef76_b.jpg

397847827_f0a64fc095_b.jpg

397847835_68541aaba1_b.jpg

397847840_5a2f709e10_b.jpg

397847849_0fdaaecfbe_b.jpg

Cranes in the fog:

397774281_5caed72d99_b.jpg

From the Pearl exit:

397850330_f71d89461e_b.jpg

I can't make it, but I just got back from there and here's a little taste of what you'll see. They have 10 sections of crane installed, the cab, part of the rotating mechanism and boom on site, so I imagine it will be topped off this afternoon or early tomorrow. I can't get back over there today, so get lots o pics Sparky! :yahoo:

Isn't there a webcam that shows this area?

The top of the tower crane is being assembled now. It looks like it will be a tad shorter than Bridgewater I (for now)

Its kind of strange, when you are driving west on Michigan over the river, the crane looks like its being built in the middle of the street! :blink:

The top of the tower crane is being assembled now. It looks like it will be a tad shorter than Bridgewater I (for now)

Its kind of strange, when you are driving west on Michigan over the river, the crane looks like its being built in the middle of the street! :blink:

:yahoo: I can see it!!!!!!! I should brought my binocs to work to day. I can see it going up from my office 3/4 mile due north:). The tip of the Gelock crane is just about as high as the existing building.

If my calculations are correct based on DwntwnGeo's info:

- first 6 - 7 floors will take a couple of months

- one floor of concrete every 5 days after that

..then by about mid-July or August 1st this thing should be taller than Bridgewater I, with the glass curtain wall trailing behind by 5 or so floors, topping out by the end of the year?

Sound about right?

If my calculations are correct based on DwntwnGeo's info:

- first 6 - 7 floors will take a couple of months

- one floor of concrete every 5 days after that

..then by about mid-July or August 1st this thing should be taller than Bridgewater I, with the glass curtain wall trailing behind by 5 or so floors, topping out by the end of the year?

Sound about right?

I think I remember the Riverhouse office telling me that it would be around 8 days per floor after the first 6-7 are completed.

Nice shots GRDad. I hope to get a few more tonight after work :shades:

wow that's awsome

wish I was there, but damn you all got alot of snow right now!

Yeah Matt, it's called February in Michigan (perhaps you have forgotten). :D In fact, this morning we had a "freezing fog warning". I've never even heard of it, but the fog had crystallized on the trees. Pretty cool. Veloise is right, there's about 4 or 5 inches on the ground in spots but a lot of bare grass starting to show. You're just looking mostly at snowbanks in those shots.

Like in this one, I walked across that snowy area and it was just over the top of my shoes.

397769972_fe84c0c7ca_b.jpg

Archived