River House Condominiums

GRCentro

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:shok: Wow. +130

Basically the bridgewater building with the city building on top of it.

Yes, it's hard to really get a handle on how tall RiverHouse will be when built. 400'+ puts it in a new club of high-rises. It's also hard to believe that the Children's Hospital will be higher (on the skyline). I think that building (HDCH) when it goes up is going to be more exciting to watch then the Marriott was.

Yes, it's hard to really get a handle on how tall RiverHouse will be when built. 400'+ puts it in a new club of high-rises. It's also hard to believe that the Children's Hospital will be higher (on the skyline). I think that building (HDCH) when it goes up is going to be more exciting to watch then the Marriott was.

Does anyone know or have an educated guess how tall HDCH will be is feet? I would guess that it will be 10-15 feet taller than the courthouse.

Does anyone know or have an educated guess how tall HDCH will be is feet? I would guess that it will be 10-15 feet taller than the courthouse.

Nooo, it will tower over that. The courthouse is only 206' tall. The children's hospital structure itself will fall in the 265 - 285' range. Plus the "big steel pen" will reach 318'. Add that to its position on top of the hill and it won't even be a close match :D . And HDCH will be mostly steel, something we haven't seen in Grand Rapids in a long time.

Nooo, it will tower over that. The courthouse is only 206' tall. The children's hospital structure itself will fall in the 265 - 285' range. Plus the "big steel pen" will reach 318'. Add that to its position on top of the hill and it won't even be a close match :D . And HDCH will be mostly steel, something we haven't seen in Grand Rapids in a long time.

"The children's hospital structure itself will fall in the 265 - 285'"

Where did you see that number I have searched high and low to find that. I know the spire will be 318'

"The children's hospital structure itself will fall in the 265 - 285'"

Where did you see that number I have searched high and low to find that. I know the spire will be 318'

Maybe we are getting a little :offtopic:

Some of the specifics of the Children's Hospital are in this thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16989

I can't believe it will be 150 feet taller than JWM!! 400 foot would place in in the World Almanac section of "Other notalbe tall buildings in North America" if any of you are not familar with that list, it does not go list anything under 400 feet. So move over Fort Wayne, we will join the list as well. Althoguh One Summt Square in FW is 442 i believe?

I can't believe it will be 150 feet taller than JWM!! 400 foot would place in in the World Almanac section of "Other notalbe tall buildings in North America" if any of you are not familar with that list, it does not go list anything under 400 feet. So move over Fort Wayne, we will join the list as well. Althoguh One Summt Square in FW is 442 i believe?

Apparently so. Holy criminey, that building is ugly!

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=1summi...ortwayne-in-usa

Oh my, Ft Wayne, here we come.. :unsure:

132889.jpg

It looks totally out of scale. We don't seem to have any buildings that just dominate the skyline like that in Grand Rapids. Maybe the Plaza Towers because it's such a wide building, but it's not as bad as that one in Fort Wayne.

I never understand why people do not like Plaza tower very much. Is it because it looks dirty? I love that thing. IDK

I never understand why people do not like Plaza tower very much. Is it because it looks dirty? I love that thing. IDK

I think it looks just fine. At least with the current skin. It is a little dirty though. I was just pointing out that looking at it from the east or west it's just a really wide building and that's usually not a good thing.

It looks totally out of scale. We don't seem to have any buildings that just dominate the skyline like that in Grand Rapids. Maybe the Plaza Towers because it's such a wide building, but it's not as bad as that one in Fort Wayne.

I think this River House is waaaaaaay out of scale! I also think that, with this being the tallest building in GR, It should have had more of an identity or landmark image on the skyline. It is very uninspiring IMO. We designed with reflective glass back in the seventies when it was new and novel.

I think this River House is waaaaaaay out of scale! I also think that, with this being the tallest building in GR, It should have had more of an identity or landmark image on the skyline. It is very uninspiring IMO. We designed with reflective glass back in the seventies when it was new and novel.

I agree with that, I think it should be a little more archictutrally significant than just mirroring what's there already.

I flip through trade mag's and see great projects going on all over, and wish it wasn't an elliptical boxy black thing - but i'll take the +400!

Riverhouse will be connected to Bridgewater Place which is already a glass building. Would you rather have a glass tower adjoined to a concrete one? IMO a continuation of the same material would make the best transisiton between buildings.

On a side note haveing a all glass exterior is going to provide one very awesome view from each of the residents that live there. I would definitely like a 10 foot tall glass wall for a window verse a 2x4 foot window with cement around it. Now the heating costs may be a different story :D

I agree with that, I think it should be a little more archictutrally significant than just mirroring what's there already.

I flip through trade mag's and see great projects going on all over, and wish it wasn't an elliptical boxy black thing - but i'll take the +400!

You also have to realize that part of this project (Bridgewater Place I & Parking Deck & Bridge Street) was already constructed. There is only so much that one can do with the space and money they are given. Plus the building looks like it will have more of a deep bluish color than black in my opinion.

Riverhouse will be connected to Bridgewater Place which is already a glass building. Would you rather have a glass tower adjoined to a concrete one? IMO a continuation of the same material would make the best transisiton between buildings.

On a side note haveing a all glass exterior is going to provide one very awesome view from each of the residents that live there. I would definitely like a 10 foot tall glass wall for a window verse a 2x4 foot window with cement around it. Now the heating costs may be a different story :D

The thing with reflective glass is that it is reflective to the side with the most light. So at night, when you are in your condo or office, you are looking at yourself when you are trying to look out.

One of the first reflective glass clad buildings around Detroit was the Hyatt Regency in Dearborn. Guests thought that the glass was mirrored on both sides and didn't draw the drapes at night. This was a treat for the local voyeurs. The hotel eventually placed a sign in each room telling guests to close the drapes!

You also have to realize that part of this project (Bridgewater Place I & Parking Deck & Bridge Street) was already constructed. There is only so much that one can do with the space and money they are given. Plus the building looks like it will have more of a deep bluish color than black in my opinion.

Yeah, I do realize that - i'm just getting greedy!

I just read an article on the top concrete projects of last year (from concrete construction magazine), and they were just amazing... that's the only reason i bring it up.

The thing with reflective glass is that it is reflective to the side with the most light. So at night, when you are in your condo or office, you are looking at yourself when you are trying to look out.

But isn't that true with most windows? I am sitting in my living room with the lights on and when I look at my windows all I see is the reflection of my living room? With windows aside, I still believe that a glass Riverhouse is going to look a lot better than a brick or cement Riverhouse attached to the existing Bridgewater I, but everyone has their own opinion. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I do realize that - i'm just getting greedy!

Nothing wrong with that. I think we all wish we could have an unlimited budget for our projects, whether they are big or small. Even I can get greddy too... lol

Archived