River House Condominiums

GRCentro

I think this River House is waaaaaaay out of scale! I also think that, with this being the tallest building in GR, It should have had more of an identity or landmark image on the skyline. It is very uninspiring IMO. We designed with reflective glass back in the seventies when it was new and novel.

Well, I guess if you want the city's tallest to be something other than River House, you better get busy.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But isn't that true with most windows? I am sitting in my living room with the lights on and when I look at my windows all I see is the reflection of my living room? With windows aside, I still believe that a glass Riverhouse is going to look a lot better than a brick or cement Riverhouse attached to the existing Bridgewater I, but everyone has their own opinion. :thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with that. I think we all wish we could have an unlimited budget for our projects, whether they are big or small. Even I can get greddy too... lol

Install some landscape lights outside your living room window. Trees and shrubs are beautiful to see at night!

It also helps you see who is out there.

Maybe the mirrored glass will make the hulk of River House disappear!

I think Riverhouse is great just the way it is. Look at Bridgewater, especially at Sunrise, Sunset, or odd weather. The colours on that glass are parallel to none. Were this an expansion of Amway or something, I could agree. But honestly, Bridgewater itself has got to be one of the most beautiful glass buildings in the country.. it's the best one I've ever seen; and to have a taller continuation of it become the tallest here in GR for a while is a priviledge.

wow I'm impressed that they keep raising the hight, I was a little skepticle that the tallest building would be at the edge of DT but with all the other developments, it should start to fill out, now if only lion and ottawa could get a 600-footer to balance out and make the skyline more symetrical, or find room for a tall neo-gothic tower like comerica, I would be really content

Woh, now I've got to find a picture of this thing. I'm picturing the Chicago Tribune building and such, if this Comerica building compares, then WOW.

edit: definately not what I was thinking. I'll admit something like that would be nice, but wouldn't make me THAT happy. =p Needs more detail, and a few terraces at varying heights to add variety to the elevations.

wow I'm impressed that they keep raising the hight, I was a little skepticle that the tallest building would be at the edge of DT but with all the other developments, it should start to fill out, now if only lion and ottawa could get a 600-footer to balance out and make the skyline more symetrical, or find room for a tall neo-gothic tower like comerica, I would be really content

A 600' in the middle of a bunch of 200'ers? Now that is out of scale.

You skyscraper fans will all be drooling over this building when it's built.

Woh, now I've got to find a picture of this thing. I'm picturing the Chicago Tribune building and such, if this Comerica building compares, then WOW.

edit: definately not what I was thinking. I'll admit something like that would be nice, but wouldn't make me THAT happy. =p Needs more detail, and a few terraces at varying heights to add variety to the elevations.

Here you go.

224468499_71345321a6_b.jpg

In celebration of being upgraded to the status of "hamlet," I give you this:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now; your gambols, your songs? your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

And this:

359679930_7b2116acf0_b.jpg

In celebration of being upgraded to the status of "hamlet," I give you this:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now; your gambols, your songs? your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?

And this:

Haha! Congrats Hamlet!

Start drooling, everyone:

"On February 5, the first section of a 468-foot-tall tower crane, the tallest crane ever to grace Grand Rapids’ skyline, will arrive at River House Condominiums, 377 Bridge Street NW. By week’s end, the first 224-feet of it will to emerge from the gigantic hole that’s been dug alongside Bridgewater Place, in preparation of “going vertical” with the 34-story high rise."

"The crane, a Pecco SK 355, is capable of lifting 11,000 pounds at one time. It will be attached to its concrete pad and assembled in 20-foot sections (22 sections total at full height), along with a jib, a cab, and a counter jib. The addition of the boom with 200 feet of horizontal “hook reach” will finalize the first phase of crane assembly. "

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmen...rivhse0118.aspx

In River House's ad this weekend, there was a photo of the construction site, with the basement floor poured. Has anyone been by the site lately?

Yes, I was by the site early last week and they had started pouring the basement floor in the NW corner continuing East along the Nothern wall. Some of the lastest pictures posted showed this. The poured area was covered with a blue tarp until the cement had dried/cured.

Yes, I was by the site early last week and they had started pouring the basement floor in the NW corner continuing East along the Nothern wall. Some of the lastest pictures posted showed this. The poured area was covered with a blue tarp until the cement had dried/cured.

Thanks Geo. I didn't notice that in the last couple of images.

Archived