Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/22/2021 at 1:38 PM, BFG said:

All the more reason for the city to move on the next era for MacArthur. We’re gonna see a lot of tourists coming through downtown in the next few years. 

It would be wise to turn the mall into a centerpiece for downtown. Possibly playing off MacArthur Square or a new square in the center of the site, something like Pioneer Courthouse Square in Portland which is considered the living room of Portland.  With something like this, then pedestrian focused buildings with commercial along the first floors with office, hotels, and residential above. It would easily make it a major draw for people visiting Norfolk.

pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif20100414-pioneer-cs-001Forster_lg.jpg

Edited by urbanlife
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm going on a Carnival cruise out of Charleston on the ship that is moving to Norfolk (Sunshine).  I've followed some facebook groups to gather information and one thing i can say is that these cruises attract a lot of people from out of town.  I suspect several hundred hotel rooms will be in demand the day before a cruise and in 2025 Norfolk will have weekly sailings in the Summer.  Seems like we could see the need for another downtown area hotel or 2 very soon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mike4s said:

I'm going on a Carnival cruise out of Charleston on the ship that is moving to Norfolk (Sunshine).  I've followed some facebook groups to gather information and one thing i can say is that these cruises attract a lot of people from out of town.  I suspect several hundred hotel rooms will be in demand the day before a cruise and in 2025 Norfolk will have weekly sailings in the Summer.  Seems like we could see the need for another downtown area hotel or 2 very soon.

I would love 2 more hotel towers with retail. Any chances someone might try to stir up a deal with the feds and get that patch of grass back to develop into towers?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Princess Cruises is canceling it's 3 stops in Yorktown this year and instead will be stopping in Norfolk. 

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/york-county/princess-cruises-cancels-on-yorktown-now-headed-towards-norfolk/

Not sure if this is going to stick around in coming years but hopefully it does. Having another cruise line with a ship out of Norfolk would be nice. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know many of you have heard about the bridge collapse in Baltimore by now. This actually cuts off the route to the Baltimore cruise terminal. Although this is horrible for the city of Baltimore could this mean that cruises move to Norfolk now?

Screenshot_20240326_135453_Chrome.jpg

I currently live just a 10min drive from the Key Bridge and it's a frightening scene. However, hopefully the cruises stopping temporarily in Norfolk will show that we can handle more and lead to a further expansion of cruises permanently stopping there. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 7:08 PM, Urbanlooker said:

I currently live just a 10min drive from the Key Bridge and it's a frightening scene. However, hopefully the cruises stopping temporarily in Norfolk will show that we can handle more and lead to a further expansion of cruises permanently stopping there. 

CSX has a coal terminal there that will begin rerouting all the coal to Newport News terminal now

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

The Half Moon Terminal will only be available for overflow cruises from Baltimore until May. After that it will be undergoing expansion to prepare for year round operations which begin in 2025.

I wouldn't be too stuck on the May date cutting off Carnival from using Norfolk. As Carnival has stated that Norfolk has allowed them to temporarily homeport the Legend here for as long as is necessary. Yes, May is when the Half Moon is scheduled to shut but I'm sure, given the circumstances, the city is either looking at ways to work around it when the ship docks or delaying the work.  Honestly, I'm not sure why they didn't plan to either work around the ships or temporarily have them render passengers in from the beginning. 

Speaking of the work being done, did y'all know that included in it is adding a second dock for ships? I just found this out yesterday from my friend who works in planning. Maybe I saw it and it just didn't compute but that's definitely going to help in getting another ship to homeport in Norfolk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Urbanlooker said:

I wouldn't be too stuck on the May date cutting off Carnival from using Norfolk. As Carnival has stated that Norfolk has allowed them to temporarily homeport the Legend here for as long as is necessary. Yes, May is when the Half Moon is scheduled to shut but I'm sure, given the circumstances, the city is either looking at ways to work around it when the ship docks or delaying the work.  Honestly, I'm not sure why they didn't plan to either work around the ships or temporarily have them render passengers in from the beginning. 

Speaking of the work being done, did y'all know that included in it is adding a second dock for ships? I just found this out yesterday from my friend who works in planning. Maybe I saw it and it just didn't compute but that's definitely going to help in getting another ship to homeport in Norfolk.

I wonder where they found the room for a second dock?

2 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I wonder where they found the room for a second dock?

I’m not sure if lamberts pt docks are being used right now but they could accommodate them there or set a temp set up at PMT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...