Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

Don't fret, they still have yet to put up the green railing around the walkways, bridges, and balconies. :)

...speaking of-I went on BAE's site today. I didn't realize that there were going to be a 20 boat marina between the termical and nauticus and the that the lower bridge is retractable to allow for boat access. Pretty cool.

Did you know that already, or am I just slow? :dontknow:

Metalman

Edited by metalman

Don't get me wrong. I am happy to have it, and the concept is very cool. It's just that big concrete base, with the blue panels, it gives an appearance of being unfinished. (Sort of like the appearance of "running out of brick" over at Harbor Park) I hold off intil they are finished. But it's definately a nice facility.

Don't fret, they still have yet to put up the green railing around the walkways, bridges, and balconies. :)

...speaking of-I went on BAE's site today. I didn't realize that there were going to be a 20 boat marina between the termical and nauticus and the that the lower bridge is retractable to allow for boat access. Pretty cool.

Did you know that already, or am I just slow? :dontknow:

Metalman

If you look at this rendering, I think it shows what you're talking about.

terminal-3.jpg

Here's a somewhat oldish picture, but it really shows you what it looks like from a distance. This picture and information are from the Half Moone website.

1th.jpg

Schedule of events:

Thursday, April 5; 6-8 p.m.

VIP Preview Dinner (invited guests only)

Friday, April 6, 10 a.m.-noon

Media Preview for local media

Saturday, April 7; 8:30 a.m.

Mayor

Here's a somewhat oldish picture, but it really shows you what it looks like from a distance. This picture and information are from the Half Moone website.

1th.jpg

I like how the cruise terminal meshes with Nauticus. I agree with everyone else though that something needs to be done to "soften up" the concrete wall facing the Elizabeth River and Town Point park.

I assume that you are talking about Harbor Heights. There is nothing being built beside it, both cranes belond to Harbor Heights.

I think he is referring to the land right accross the canal there to the right, the square...that is a war memorial...I've been there before, If I remember correctly I think there are statues/sculptures of letters written to soldiers during the war...I don't remember which war etc.

I think he is referring to the land right accross the canal there to the right, the square...that is a war memorial...I've been there before, If I remember correctly I think there are statues/sculptures of letters written to soldiers during the war...I don't remember which war etc.

All wars involving the US. If you haven't been there and taken a half hour or so to read them you are missing out on a very meaningful and thought provoking expereince.

The new cruise terminal looks GREAT in person! They really are almost finished, and you can walk all around the outside now. It really completes the space next to Nauticus.

435179317_8e0555bd5b_o.jpg

435179395_46e4578750_o.jpg

435180234_acb6b23fc2_o.jpg

435180454_b99cfb1c19_o.jpg

435180592_a272a2f569_o.jpg

The boat slips and retractable footbridge - very cool!

435180372_cb83c8838a_o.jpg

435180296_fa14f8e49b_o.jpg

Edited by gosscj

Wow, it's really blue! I think there will be some accent lighting on the large grey cement portion, so maybe it won't stand out so bad.

I think his second and third shots are a little over saturated color-wise. But you're right, there is accent lighting on the pre-fab walls, which if they light up at night and reveal that beautiful blue glass is going to really look fabulous.

I see a new iconic structure for the Norfolk waterfront emerging. This may replace Waterside as the focal point for the Downtown waterfront.

Not a moment too soon either. Waterside is getting a bit dated and, while it is still a vital spot downtown, it's good that we can now emphasize newer developments. With 150 E Main, Trader, 388 Boush, Harbor Heights, and soon with Wachovia Center, Hilton, and Granby Tower, we're really seeing a shift to the other half of downtown - it almost seems as though the old business center (BoA, Norfolk Southern, that big clump of older towers) seems peripheral to all these new developments.

Not a moment too soon either. Waterside is getting a bit dated and, while it is still a vital spot downtown, it's good that we can now emphasize newer developments. With 150 E Main, Trader, 388 Boush, Harbor Heights, and soon with Wachovia Center, Hilton, and Granby Tower, we're really seeing a shift to the other half of downtown - it almost seems as though the old business center (BoA, Norfolk Southern, that big clump of older towers) seems peripheral to all these new developments.

I'm expecting a major waterside renovation within the next few years.