Norfolk Cruise Terminal

willy

Royal Carribean will return to Norfolk in 2008 :thumbsup:

Royal Caribbean International will return to Norfolk in 2008 with its 1,950-passenger Grandeur of the Seas, according to local travel agents.

Lyan Sierra-Caro, spokeswoman for the Miami-based cruise line, confirmed it would come back next year, but said it would announce details Friday morning. When it sails from Norfolk on April 28, Royal Caribbean's 1,602-passenger Empress of the Seas will be the first ship sailing from the city's new $36 million downtown cruise terminal, departing on 13 six-, seven- and eight-night Bermuda cruises.

I love it. But I hate that idiotic local attitude that everything nice is a just a gamble and that we shouldn't spend any money on anything that doesn't directly go to the poorer neighborhoods. That kind of thinking will ensure that poor neighborhoods will stay that way.

I love it. But I hate that idiotic local attitude that everything nice is a just a gamble and that we shouldn't spend any money on anything that doesn't directly go to the poorer neighborhoods. That kind of thinking will ensure that poor neighborhoods will stay that way.

I'm sure channel 3 asked 50 people, found 1 person to complain, and put that person on camera. Same old story. I'll tell you what the gamble is: Sitting around on our butts and investing nothing to make this area better. Now that's a gamble.

Just got back from the grand opening reception today. Very sharp. I think this adds a tremendous amount to the waterfront. My one criticism is that they do not plan to have ANY common areas for regular people to gather. I was hoping that they'd have a restaurant, bar, or coffee shop for locals to gather and enjoy the vistas. Unfortunately, at this point, it seems it is pretty much just a meeting place and cruise terminal. One could argue that they don't want to put anything in b/c they don't want to draw business from Granby Street. I think that is a fine argument, but adding additional restaurants usually results in bringing more business in, rather than splitting the traffic.

I talked with one of the staff and they said they are going to redo Nauticus so that the building doesn't look "ugly and gray." He also said they are in the planning stages of having a restaurant, possibly a Wolfgang Puck (sp?), on the water between Nauticus and the cruise terminal. This is something, but it won't be completed for another 3 years.

Overall, I think it is really impressive, but for 36 million in tax payer dollars I think they should have provided more space for the Norfolk resident to comfortably enjoy the facility.

So let me take a break from the "fun" of the Va. Beach forum ( :rolleyes: ) to add some photos from my trip to the cruise terminal today. Being the the sucker for free food that I am, I just couldn't resist. :lol: As a bonus I included some shots of the skyline from the Battleship Wisconsin. Hope you enjoy.

449637854_8aa6a231c8_b.jpg

449637976_9a7444dbfb_b.jpg

449638086_fa887b7b4c_b.jpg

449646185_26c2bb8667_b.jpg

449638288_4d1e3d1399_b.jpg

449638480_383bf3821b_b.jpg

More to come

449649943_1f2e62fc90_b.jpg

449641916_f9d9567385_b.jpg

449642116_8d62c1b759_b.jpg

449642172_0d32843495_b.jpg

449650367_efb1132176_b.jpg

449650557_d6e40e26ba_b.jpg

449642568_8f4407ec0b_b.jpg

449642702_0fef626db4_b.jpg

Ok, that's it folks. Phew! I thought I'd never be done. :wacko:

Have they not finished the balcony? Looks like there was some tiling to be done.

I'm not sure. Can you quote the picture you're refferring to? There is some minor work left to be done but for the most part the terminal is finished.

Ok, I see what you're talking about. Yeah, they're not quite finished with that yet.