Other Metro Area Projects

accatt2204

This website has been terribly, terribly boring the past few days.

Doesn't anyone have anything interesting or thought-provoking or, dare I say, actually consequential to say?

Aren't there any new rides planned at Disney?

Any new hotels opening on I-Drive?

Any more 8 story buildings planned?

Come on guys...you've got to really jazz this site up.

And then there were two: Sears has announced its large, 1970's era store at Altamonte Mall will close. This leaves just the Florida Mall and Oviedo stores.

By all accounts, Altamonte is still a successful mall, so this leaves a great opportunity to fill a big retail space.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-sears-closing-altamonte-mall-20180629-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel

So years ago I was in STC and the managers were conversing about Altamonte closing because there is a potential buyer for it.  I guess its happened.

I don't know what about Oviedo made them being the last Orlando store behind Florida Mall.  Florida Mall surviving make sense.  I suspect it'll die when the whole chain goes under.   I have a 35 year old car that got shocks and struts in 2000 at Sears with free lifetime parts and labor.  They replaced them again in 2005, and once again at the end of 2017.  I could have held out on the ride comfort  little longer, but I didn't trust that they'd be around another year.  Just sad.

In other news in Altamonte, Publix is buying the remaining Albertson's/Safeway in the area.   There goes another grocer.  

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 4:18 PM, spenser1058 said:

And then there were two: Sears has announced its large, 1970's era store at Altamonte Mall will close. This leaves just the Florida Mall and Oviedo stores.

By all accounts, Altamonte is still a successful mall, so this leaves a great opportunity to fill a big retail space.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-sears-closing-altamonte-mall-20180629-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel

Sears most valuable asset used to be that they actually owned most of their stores and the land they sat on. A few years ago they created Seritage [Sears Heritage] and basically gave the new REIT company most of their real estate assets [that's an over-simplification but...] .

Seritage has determined that even though many of their Sears locations are still profitable, in many cases they can make more money from the property by redeveloping them rather than continuing to lease them to Sears. Fashion Square was one of the region's top performing Sears stores but Seritage determined they could make more by redeveloping the land for other uses. The same is true, more or less, for Altamonte.

As I understand it, the Altamonte Auto Center is - was - particularly profitable.

I suspect that the Oviedo Sears remains [for now] because they can't find anyone willing to go into that all-but-dead mall hidden away in the rushes of Lake Jessup. Which means, basically, that there is one Sears store left in a metro area of nearly 3M people which, for anyone over ~40, is pretty striking.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 2

Not sure if right thread...Millennia...

Does anybody know what they are building along Vineland Rd just south of Audi?  They cleared almost all the land stretching from there down to where that new building is going up.  Seems similar to what they're doing on Palm Parkway just south of those apartments south of CFLA Pkwy.

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

Does anybody know what they are building along Vineland Rd just south of Audi?  They cleared almost all the land stretching from there down to where that new building is going up.  Seems similar to what they're doing on Palm Parkway just south of those apartments south of CFLA Pkwy.

Rooms To Go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I think it's a City Furniture.  Could be wrong. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:46 AM, jgardnerucf said:

Rooms To Go.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, I am Reality said:

I think it's a City Furniture.  Could be wrong. 

Is the furniture store the only thing going in?  Because it looks like all the land is being developed between Audi and that 3-4 story office building u/c.

"Mama B's" building is in the middle of an addition and a facelift. They are adding on to the building to make it flush with the streetwall down Orange with the hotel (hopefully with another entrance) as well as sprucing it up with some split-face masonry accents and architectural variety instead of the dreadful stucco box. Not much better, but hey, the bar was pretty low. Still would have been nice to have the hotel all the way to the corner, or a comparable height multi-story building put in there to at least cover the garage, but it is better than what was there before or a vacant lot. 

20180707_095930_1530982152949.jpg

20180707_095958_1530982153187.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^^

looking good.  But that's downtown, right?

Meanwhile, I noticed a large parking deck? u/c at the NE corner of Kirkman Road & TNPK.  It looks like it's for a residential apartment building. Probably at the end of Lawing Lane accessible from Conroy to the north.

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

^^

looking good.  But that's downtown, right?

Meanwhile, I noticed a large parking deck? u/c at the NE corner of Kirkman Road & TNPK.  It looks like it's for a residential apartment building. Probably at the end of Lawing Lane accessible from Conroy to the north.

The building next to Audi on Vineland?

Every now and then, the Orange County Commission stands up for citizens instead of development and sprawl. 

They did that this week in little ol' Tangerine, right on the Orange/Lake border. Good work by Commissioner Bonilla and Mayor Jacobs on leading the charge to do the right thing:

Orange County spares 'very special place' Tangerine from bad growth
http://bit.ly/2ukKwMW

From the Sentinel

Edited by spenser1058