Orlando Attractions Area News & Developments

sunshine

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Universal calls it quits on FOX Studios to concentrate on Sky and Theme Park Insider ruminates on what that means:

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201807/6196/

Interesting read.  I think Universal needs to really push to the limit the Super Mario World angle.  They could have characters galore at their parks just based on Mario, who is so beloved by millions.  Mario, Bowser, Peach, Mushroom, Yoshi, Warrio, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, I mean, this is incredible IP.  You can have an ET-like ride based on Mario World 64.  You can have a racing-themed ride based on Mario Kart.  You can have a more creepy ride like Kong based on Metroid.  The key is Mario and Peach b/c she's a princess and she can be Universal's first princess for kids.

I'm personally not a fan of Marvel as far as the latest iteration in the movies presents the characters.  But I do like how IOA did Hulk, Spiderman, Dr. Doom, etc.  They could use another ride in there based on Marvel, though.

Batman is DC, right?  Which studio has rights to Batman?  Can you imagine a Spiderman-like ride at IOA based on the campy '60's Batman show, racing through Gotham and encountering the likes of Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Cat Woman (I can imagine that in any context), etc.?  They digitized Peter Cushing for Rogue One, they can digitize those actors I'm sure fairly easily.

On and on....  

I think Disney is wanting that other Netflix-like streaming revenue source per the article more than the new IP for parks.  Banshee may be a great ride, but the main thing it does is that it resurrects an otherwise forgotten movie in Avatar, but beyond that, who really cares about the Avatar IP?  I would equate AK Avatar similar to IOA's King Kong, b/c Kong is a great ride but it's also based on a forgettable movie (IMO).

Toy Story Land is a good addition.  So is Star Wars if they do it right.  If there's no Creature Cantina, then, forget it.

What about Alien?  Who has those rights?  The MGM Great Movie Ride showcased a smidge of Alien.

• Like 1

I'm a DC guy myself (or was in my childhood - my junk reading now is mostly m/m fiction on KU) so the MCU hasn't meant much to me. For the longest time, Six Flags had the rights to Warner characters which gave them Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny) and DC (JLA) but that may not still be in force. 

The TPI article mentions Disney will continue profiting from Uni licensing the Simpsons - I was wondering about that. When your biggest competitor is sending you a check regularly, that has to feel good.

Disney has been the #1 film studio for a while now, thanks in no small part to Bob Iger's acquisition skills. This should only cement that status. And, for all the hype online, the internet fanboys may hate Disney Parks as too juvenile (or princessy, if you will) but the fact is no one else is close (check out the list of leading parks if you're skeptical.) Being #1 in two different industries is a pretty good place to be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Batman is DC, right?  Which studio has rights to Batman?  Can you imagine a Spiderman-like ride at IOA based on the campy '60's Batman show, racing through Gotham and encountering the likes of Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Cat Woman (I can imagine that in any context), etc.?  They digitized Peter Cushing for Rogue One, they can digitize those actors I'm sure fairly easily.

What about Alien?  Who has those rights?  The MGM Great Movie Ride showcased a smidge of Alien.

They are Warner Bros films and the IP rights for theme parks belong to Six Flags currently.

Alien is Fox, so Disney soon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

More on Universal's fourth park from UP'er Ken Storey, including the depressing thought that Trek may be out before it was ever in *sigh*:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/07/23/universal-orlandos-rumored-new-theme-park-might-now-have-a-name

Via Orlando Weekly

I don't get it. Fantastic Beasts World will replace the rumored Star Trek Land...  they never address whether Uni has the rights to ST, or whether they are trying to acquire them if they haven't already.  That seems like that would be the biggest news, IMO.

But the largest of all Super Nintendo Worlds- now that's gonna be something great.  Maybe Star Trek is on the back burner b/c Discovery isn't all that and we're too far removed from DS9, Voyager, and TNG for it to be at the forefront.  Dunno...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I don't get it. Fantastic Beasts World will replace the rumored Star Trek Land...  they never address whether Uni has the rights to ST, or whether they are trying to acquire them if they haven't already.  That seems like that would be the biggest news, IMO.

But the largest of all Super Nintendo Worlds- now that's gonna be something great.  Maybe Star Trek is on the back burner b/c Discovery isn't all that and we're too far removed from DS9, Voyager, and TNG for it to be at the forefront.  Dunno...

I think the news is there is no news. They've probably tried or Star Trek rights, and never reached an agreement and might still be trying, or might be taking a break, and since Universal is wel into designing the park, they're going to have an alternate plan in place until they get said rights. Universal also just trademarked Universal's Epic Universe (and various forms) for theme park use, so thats another name for the park, or the entire south campus, or for a campaign for the entire resort (Epic is also printed on many crates and decorations in Studios

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting my article! Yesterday after the article was published new trademarks were discovered by Universal for Epic Worlds. My guess is Epic if not Potter, Fantastic if Potter is included. 

As far as Star Trek is concerned, I agree that the biggest issue is getting the rights.  Here's my write about Star Trek  from the end of May. Ironically, the other big rumored IP for the new park is Lord of the Rings which those rights are infamously difficult to get. 

Honestly, right now it seems like Universal is in a holding pattern with various IPs rumored from nearly anywhere they'll fit. Fast and Furious was a flop and it seems like that's causing a lot of shifts in plans with the hope of getting an e-ticket (in the most traditional sense) fast tracked for USF. 

There's tons of speculation and guesswork going on. Here is a rundown of where we seem to be: 

What we know but Universal hasn't announced- new land replacing Kids Zone, Volcano Bay Phase 2, non-Potter updates coming to IOA, new theme park.

What we don't know- timelines and IPs for each of those.

We also know a Super Nintendo World is coming to Orlando but the location hasn't been confirmed by Universal. 

IPs that seem likely to be at Universal within the next 5-7 years- Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Jason Bourne (barf), Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Secret Life of Pets, Hello Kitty, Jurassic World. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, klstorey said:

Thanks for posting my article! Yesterday after the article was published new trademarks were discovered by Universal for Epic Worlds. My guess is Epic if not Potter, Fantastic if Potter is included. 

As far as Star Trek is concerned, I agree that the biggest issue is getting the rights.  Here's my write about Star Trek  from the end of May. Ironically, the other big rumored IP for the new park is Lord of the Rings which those rights are infamously difficult to get. 

Honestly, right now it seems like Universal is in a holding pattern with various IPs rumored from nearly anywhere they'll fit. Fast and Furious was a flop and it seems like that's causing a lot of shifts in plans with the hope of getting an e-ticket (in the most traditional sense) fast tracked for USF. 

There's tons of speculation and guesswork going on. Here is a rundown of where we seem to be: 

What we know but Universal hasn't announced- new land replacing Kids Zone, Volcano Bay Phase 2, non-Potter updates coming to IOA, new theme park.

What we don't know- timelines and IPs for each of those.

We also know a Super Nintendo World is coming to Orlando but the location hasn't been confirmed by Universal. 

IPs that seem likely to be at Universal within the next 5-7 years- Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Jason Bourne (barf), Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Secret Life of Pets, Hello Kitty, Jurassic World. 

Volcano Bay Phase 2?

9 hours ago, bqknight said:

There's a small piece of land that they were using as staging they announced to be Phase 2 of Volcano Bay (I thought anyway). It's very small, though. 

...I think they have it for more cabanas mainly...

• Like 1

In a sign we're continuing to improve our core competence in backoffice design facilities for theme parks, Michigan-based Roush is opening a 12K sf facility here. 

This obviously is an industry Orlando should control just about every facet of. Here's one more block to a solid foundation.

Michigan theme park ride seat, animatronics builder Roush to open Orlando office
http://bit.ly/2AjDDBg

From the Sentinel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Comcast CEO Brian Roberts acknowledges 4th USF park on the way and that battle for FOX got too pricey:

https://www.thewrap.com/universal-plans-new-orlando-florida-theme-park-comcast-q2-disney-fox/amp/

From The Wrap

it's fascinating.  they analyzed  what their goal was domestically versus internationally, and what their shareholder return  might be for it to work based on the increasing numbers.  for them to say "we're looking at" a 4th gate, her translation is:  "4th gate coming, and it's gonna be huge."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

it's fascinating.  they analyzed  what their goal was domestically versus internationally, and what their shareholder return  might be for it to work based on the increasing numbers.  for them to say "we're looking at" a 4th gate, her translation is:  "4th gate coming, and it's gonna be huge."

I think she's reading between the lines. For the CEO to mention it at all means it's likely a go. That's like another park in town having a resort actually under construction but still not acknowledging a tower everyone can see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I think she's reading between the lines. For the CEO to mention it at all means it's likely a go. That's like another park in town having a resort actually under construction but still not acknowledging a tower everyone can see.

Yeah, its quite interesting how the theme parks (and especially Universal) have decided to not announce any of their projects until we can literally see it taking shape, and the level of secrecy they've managed to keep is impressive for projects like these. A big turnaround from the old system where things were announced way in advance and then frequently were delayed or possibly just didn't happen.

• Like 1