NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/11776393.htm

After reading the synopsis again, i'm actually encouraged that could win. We are spending the most money, more than 30% more than the second most, and all the money is accounted for, which is rare among the bids (it seems).

When they claim they are looking for value, the only thing that we aren't obvious winners for is the visitor number. I'm hoping that with some of the decision makers being intimate with charlotte's nascar business will know intuitively that the real number would be higher (or that KC and ATL are being too liberal).

With $138m being spent on top of "free" land, this could be a major value for nascar. seems to me, as we've known all along, it is ours but for the visitor numbers.

With $138m being spent on top of "free" land, this could be a major value for nascar.    seems to me, as we've known all along, it is ours but for the visitor numbers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm really having difficulty seeing how this is a good thing. I understand NASCAR is a very popular sport, but is a sports hall of fame the image any of these emerging cities really want to have? I swear I'm not being a snob. I just can't see how a hall of fame dedicated to any sport is great for a city that wants to be world class. Someone please explain this to me.

I'm really having difficulty seeing how this is a good thing. I understand NASCAR is a very popular sport, but is a sports hall of fame the image any of these emerging cities really want to have? I swear I'm not being a snob. I just can't see how a hall of fame dedicated to any sport is great for a city that wants to be world class. Someone please explain this to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think in Charlotte's case and the other competing cities, it's about the economic impact rather than being a world class city. Though Daytona and Charlotte, it's about hertiage too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It'$ all about the Benjamin$ :)

It'$ all about the Benjamin$  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just got back from the unveiling of the HOF....I believe we ARE going to get this thing. Hands down. The ceremony is going on in the Wachovia Atriums I type...

Getting the HOF is important for the following reasons:

-There is talk of rotating the Nextel All Star race to other cities.

-Getting the HOF would likely lead to the All Star race remaining in Charlotte.

-If the all star race remains in Charlotte it generates money for local businesses and helps give Charlotte more publicity and tourism dollars (hotels, etc...)

-The HOF would also generate increased acitivity and tourism dollars spent downtown, increasing the vibrancy of downtown.

-90% of all NASCAR teams are based in the Charlotte region.

-NASCAR is responsible for 24,000 NC jobs

-NASCAR has an annual economic impact of $5.1 billion.

Any shift away from the concentration of NASCAR assets, events, and businesses in the Charlotte region is BAD for the economy. So that is why the HOF is important whether you like NASCAR or not.

I was on my way to Childress Klein's office and detoured to catch the tail end of the presentation. For the most part I think the design is well thought out. My only grumble is that it seems sorta colorless (like much of 2nd Ward)......a co-worker thinks it will be clad in Zinc, but we shall see. I hope the circular piece is not concrete.

Regardless, it does have a humongous Jumbo-Tron....

I'm not sure that Charlotte wins hands down on this one, but it is an attractive design, and I think Charlotte has the strongest financial package, and the ability to quickly turn dirt if they do win the award.

i also think having anything that is one-of-a-kind is good for charlotte. i know for many, nascar/stock car racing is a hillbilly activity... because, of course, it was the bootlegger appalachian scotch-irish that started it. But it really has come of age is is much more respected now.

My dad was in manchester, england, a few months ago, and when they found out he lived in north carolina, they wanted to hear about what races he'd seen and drivers he'd met. (and thought he was crazy to have not been). They loved watching nascar on tv. This thing really is global. I would not be surprised if european racing fans wouldn't make a trip out coming to charlotte, seeing the HOF, and the team shops, and maybe catch a race.

The obvious reason for spending money, as that it is a net gain economically, but the nascar is our tourist foundation in this city, and we have to embrace it, and take that to higher places... while also diversifying our image.

On the designs. I thought they were fairly cool. I'm not sure if that is a massive plaza, or what, in one of them, though. With that load of people, Brevard could really be an awesome pedestrian street, with the Convention Center, Westin, HOF, Arena, Transport Center, and the old street fronts around Grace AME Church. If that becomes a name brand street, there are some serious parcels around there for great big projects eventually.

benjamins is right.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you beacuse all the other cities that have Hall of Fames I don't consider "World Class" Ex. Cleveland,Cooperstown,Springfield,Canton,etc..

Even though I am not personally a fan of the sport, I still support Charlotte having the HOF here. Even though I want Charlotte to shed the image of "Hillbilly-Nascar-Racin-Budwiserdrinkin-People" it is still part of our history and that will never change. But the sport is being more embraced, a great example:When I worked at Charlotte Doglas International, A japanese tourist was asking me for directions, and he had on a Dale Ernhardt hat on. I found that really surprising.

For me it's more of a pride thing. After seeing the renderings I support it even more. I think the architecture of Charlotte's HOF is very iconic, and in turn may bring people into Charlotte just to see what the actual building looks like in person. I myself drove thru Cleavland and found myself intrigued by their Rock N Roll HOF, even though I never actually went in. I personally am a fan of great architecture, and I feel that great architecture infuences other projects in the area. That is my personal reason for wanting to bring the HOF here.

Now it makes sense what they have done.....I didn't quite understand it when I briefly saw it earlier today.

It's somewhat similar to the BMW museum in Munich, in that you spiral with the cars up an incline, except here you can actually touch/interact with the cars......

It also uses glass, and has some translucency that I at first missed.....but most importantly.....look at the size of that Jumbo-Tron.

News 14 has two new renderings in their gallery on their article for the hall of fame that really highlight more of the architectural details. In my opinion, the architecture is stunning, not overall impressive/abstract, but I think our building is phenomenal compared to the other simplistic renderings from Richmond and Daytona.

I eat my earlier words about the designers of this facility. It is really great looking and will be, hopefully, a very nice addition to the downtown area.

BTW Dubone, likewise my sister in Tokyo gets questions about the races when they find out she has a brother in Charlotte.

i really like this thing, too... although i must say some angles remind me of a cruise ship, which i don't think is the intended image....

i hope we get it.

I hadn't realized before these images that close to the whole 2 block section between Stonewall and 2nd will be the HOF (plus what looks like a huge plaza, which will be very cool (not literally) and urban. It really seems like Speed Street-type activities would be along Brevard and this plaza.

Amaxing design.

IM Pei's team really hit this one out of the ball park. I think it is one of their best work they have done....probably because city officials didn't but in and try to give their architectural guidance like they did on the Arena.

I think it has a much more refined, sophisticated look than the other bids (which NASCAR needs).

Anyone seen Richmond's? It looks horrible!

Hope it gets built.

Let's not forget the city will build a 50,000 ballroom next to this HOF, which is another bonus to our bid.

Archived