NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

And, that is lie about everythning about their city?  The weather, the crime, and the transportation?

:w00t:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, they did lie about the weather. The real scandal involved Coke. At the time, Coca-Cola was the Olympics biggest sponsor. Apparently, Coke told the IOC that they were considering pulling sponsorship of the games. That gentle pressure pushed Atlanta over the top. With the NASCAR HOF, Atlanta has already lined up a number of NASCAR sponsors to support Atlanta's bid. If they did something similar, I wouldn't be surprised.

I found out when Atlanta is doing their tour. It's supposed to happen in August. I can't find any info on Charlotte, but I assume it will be around the same time, maybe July.

today's editorial on where the Frances will put the HOF seems fairly realistic...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/11819132.htm

it does really seem like the Frances would not let Charlotte take over everything in the sport. It almost seems like if we got the HOF, that it would be a matter of time before something else were taken away, like the all-star race.

I have heard a couple times that if Charlotte gets the HOF, KC would likely get the all-star race since they only host one race a year currently. Economically it would pretty much be a wash with the HOF's projected impact of $100 million and the all-star race being $94 million last year.

that is interesting... especially if we were going to lose the race anyway, then perhaps the HOF would give us a better economic boost because the investments and multipliers will be downtown rather than in the countryside. I don't mean larger numbers, as you say it is a wash, but perhaps the $100m that goes with HOF will be in hotels, restaurants, etc., that are downtown, instead of concord mills/speedway area.

it does seem, though, that we should be expecting less nascar money over time, as many of them are zero-sum (such as race movements) as nascar expands.

Something that I haven't thougt about before....I'm guessing the $100 million projection is based on the 400,000 attendance which is the worst case scenario. I'm not up on how economic projections work, but if the attendance is say 50% higher or 600,000, does that translate to a 50% increase in the economic impact? If so the HOF could turn out to be a much bigger asset than the all-star race.

Tom Sorenson is wrong in his article. He says:

But if you were looking for the perfect site for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, would you pick Canton, Ohio? If you were looking for the ideal location for the National Baseball Hall of Fame, would you pick Cooperstown, N.Y.? If you were looking for the one true place for the Basketball Hall of Fame, would you pick Springfield, Mass.?

But all but 1 of the sites he names is the actual birthplace of the industry.

Birthplace of Basketball: Springfield, MA

NBA Hall of Fame: Sprinfield, MA

Birthplace of Baseball: Cooperstown, NY

MLB Hall of Fame: Cooperstown, NY

Birthplace of Rock and Roll: too many to count, let's just say the Ohio Valley/Mississippi Valley (and besides, Jazz is from New Orleans, Blues is from Memphis, Country is from Nashville, so that rules them out)

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Cleveland, OH

Birthplace of NFL: Pittsburgh, PA

NFL Hall of Fame: Canton, OH

Birthplace of NASCAR: Charlotte, NC

NASCAR Hall of Fame: ____________________

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/11824892.htm

This is a little nerve-wracking. :)

We need the HOF here to offset impact of an eventual loss of a race, and to help solidify our place as the center of racing... but the family/group that is awarding the HOF doesn't really want Charlotte to dominate or be the center of racing... and now, even if we get the HOF, it would have 40% less economic impact than original anticipated?

I'm wondering if this is just the economic impact to go with the conservative attendance number... and the ~$100m being for a more likely higher attendance.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/11824892.htm

This is a little nerve-wracking. :) 

We need the HOF here to offset impact of an eventual loss of a race, and to help solidify our place as the center of racing... but the family/group that is awarding the HOF doesn't really want Charlotte to dominate or be the center of racing... and now, even if we get the HOF, it would have 40% less economic impact than original anticipated?

I'm wondering if this is just the economic impact to go with the conservative attendance number... and the ~$100m being for a more likely higher attendance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what they're not mentioning is that the economic impact would be well-distributed throughout the year instead of all in one race week

that might encourage more fixed improvements than the two races we have now

i would still think that better than the all-star race

Here's what I would do. Put the HOF in Charlotte to consolidate the Southeast and ensure that it remains loyal. Like any good expanding enterprise, you want to maintain your fortress and not lose ground while growing. Also, there are the obvious perks of history, size of Charlotte, ease of commute to and from Charlotte and the money put behind the proposal to back this up.

Then, I would shift the Allstar Race to KC. This type of compromise would promote their efforts at heading West without hyperextending themselves. They could always bring the race back into the Southeast if the popularity dies down and their efforts sputter. It would be a lot harder to move the HOF itself.

Charlotte and the SE will be so happy to get the HOF, they won't complain about losing the Allstar Race. KC will be happy because at least it gets the Allstar Race. Daytona won't complain, they've already got HQ and didn't put up a competitive bid moneywise.

Atlanta, well, I haven't figured that one out yet.

e7

One thing that I'm not sure taken into account is that this is a critical mass object...meaning that someone who is coming through Charlotte on the road to somewhere would be liklier to spend the night here and see the HOF, as well as a few other things.

Tom Sorenson is wrong in his article. He says:

But all but 1 of the sites he names is the actual birthplace of the industry.

Birthplace of Basketball: Springfield, MA

NBA Hall of Fame: Sprinfield, MA

Birthplace of Baseball: Cooperstown, NY

MLB Hall of Fame: Cooperstown, NY

Birthplace of Rock and Roll: too many to count, let's just say the Ohio Valley/Mississippi Valley (and besides, Jazz is from New Orleans, Blues is from Memphis, Country is from Nashville, so that rules them out)

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Cleveland, OH

Birthplace of NFL: Pittsburgh, PA

NFL Hall of Fame: Canton, OH

Birthplace of NASCAR: Charlotte, NC

NASCAR Hall of Fame: ____________________

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that's the case, then Wilkesboro need to get the HOF. After all, running moonshine is how the sport got its start in Appalachia. I wonder if the HOF will have a still to remind us of the illegal beginnings of NASCAR?

If that's the case, then Wilkesboro need to get the HOF.  After all, running moonshine is how the sport got its start in Appalachia.  I wonder if the HOF will have a still to remind us of the illegal beginnings of NASCAR?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i hope so... i think that is pretty cool :).

what is that they say... when establishing a settlement, english would build a church, germans would build a mill, and scotch-irish would build a still. i think it would be very interesting to this areas colonial roots in racing and drinking to the scotch-irish presbyterians. lol... don't clap in church, though.

i hope so... i think that is pretty cool :)

what is that they say... when establishing a settlement, english would build a church, germans would build a mill, and scotch-irish would build a still.  i think it would be very interesting to this areas colonial roots in racing and drinking to the scotch-irish presbyterians.    lol... don't clap in church, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the reasons I love being an Episcopalian. Whenever two or more are gathered in His name, a bottle of liquor will be present.

...AutoWeek Magazine seems to think Kansas City is a lock to get this. I'm not sure who their insider is, but their reasoning seems rather simplistic. It does mention the reason Charlotte & Atlanta wouldn't get it is Bruton Smith.

Article here: http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102494

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Essentially:

1. Daytona won't get it because NASCAR doesn't want to take attendance away from Daytona USA, a racing attraction owned by the France family

2. They don't want the HOF in any city that has a track owned by Bruton Smith (CLT and ALT)

3. Richmond isn't even being considered

4. KC is home to Sprint, who will soon be the new series sponsor

That article is not even current. Sprint and Nextel are mergering, of course, and as a Sprint customer, I like to keep up to date on the merger. Anyways, the new Sprint-Nextel headquarters will be in Virginia not in suburban Kansas City and the merging company does not even have a new name yet.

Some of the infomation in the article isn't up to date. The merger of Sprint and Nextel are mergers of equals, their new board will consist half of Nextel and half of Sprint. Before the merger Sprint was number 3 and Nextel wasn't far behind. Whatever happens to the Nextel Cup Series, the old Nextel executives will have alot of say regarding to the sponsorship.

Everything I have read says that Sprint-Nextel will be headquartered in suburban KC, but I haven't been following it that closely.

Anyway that article's breakdown is overly simplistic. It does not take into account any economic factors involved in the proposals. Since KC and Atlanta haven't released any design renderings, who knows how they will stack up against Charlotte. I don't see how nascar could run a successful business if it made decisions based on spite. I think this competition is still wide open.

Sprint and Nextel released their SEC filings last week and the details was in there regarding the headquarters, but the merger won't be final until 3rd quarter is over. However when it merged doesn't mean Sprint and Nextel users will be able to each other towers yet.

Everything I have read says that Sprint-Nextel will be headquartered in suburban KC, but I haven't been following it that closely.

Anyway that article's breakdown is overly simplistic. It does not take into account any economic factors involved in the proposals. Since KC and Atlanta haven't released any design renderings, who knows how they will stack up against Charlotte. I don't see how nascar could run a successful business if it made decisions based on spite. I think this competition is still wide open.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the article says they have a source inside NASCAR...so, we don't know how reliable that source is.

I have some concerns because I have heard several reports over the past few months that have said KC was going to get this thing all along, that they were told they would get a HOF and the All-Star Race when they built the speedway...there just seem to be a lot of independent reports coming out that KC has this thing (and this whole 5 city thing was just a game NASCAR was playing).

And, if you know the dynamics and history of NASCAR, they would be that spiteful.

I hope CLT gets it, but NASCAR's past history is that they don't care about the history of the sport...they just want lots of money. I just don't like to be overly optimistic.

Well, the article says they have a source inside NASCAR...so, we don't know how reliable that source is.

I have some concerns because I have heard several reports over the past few months that have said KC was going to get this thing all along, that they were told they would get a HOF and the All-Star Race when they built the speedway...there just seem to be a lot of independent reports coming out that KC has this thing (and this whole 5 city thing was just a game NASCAR was playing).

And, if you know the dynamics and history of NASCAR, they would be that spiteful.

I hope CLT gets it, but NASCAR's past history is that they don't care about the history of the sport...they just want lots of money.

First, I'd like to say that I could care less about NASCAR or where they put the hall of fame. But I would be very suprised if the hall of fame wasn't in Atlanta for the following reasons:

1. Atlanta has more corporate HQ's sponsoring NASCAR cars than any other city...these HQs are also going to bat for the hall of fame to be here

2. Atlanta is the #1 television market for NASCAR - less my viewership of course

3. The proposed site for it is Ted Turner's property downtown next to where the World of Coke Museum and the new Georgia Aquarium will be

4. It is the largest city on the list and is the most centrally located (via highways and airports) which will increase attendance

Really it is all about the moolah - attendance and corporate presence. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

First, I'd like to say that I could care less about NASCAR or where they put the hall of fame.  But I would be very suprised if the hall of fame wasn't in Atlanta for the following reasons:

1.  Atlanta has more corporate HQ's sponsoring NASCAR cars than any other city...these HQs are also going to bat for the hall of fame to be here

2.  Atlanta  is the #1 television market for NASCAR - less my viewership of course

3.  The proposed site for it is Ted Turner's property downtown next to where the World of Coke Museum and the new Georgia Aquarium will be

4.  It is the largest city on the list and is the most centrally located (via highways and airports) which will increase attendance

Really it is all about the moolah - attendance and corporate presence.  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this I would agree with....This is at least logical.

Of course, I am not a fan either, I could make a case for CLT too as I am sure you know I could, but I am getting off of the soap bax here. I think most posters would agree that outside of ATL and CLT that is it.

If Daytona were still running they would be a STRONG contender though.

10-4 over and out ryances...

Archived