NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

I love this design! one question---what colors are going to be used? It'd be really nice if the swoopy, metal part outside was a slight bronzey color. I don twant to see huge red/blue elements, while keeping it silvery will make it look a little samey i think.

bronze sounds cool, but would be more of a departure from that band representing the silvery track. I agree, though, that colors would be important to differentiate it a bit. I think the band is supposed to be silvery metal (someone mentioned zinc... just please NO concrete curves), other parts of the building look like browny/yellowy brick or stone, and tons of glass.

the colors would then show up in all the cars(which seem to also be visible to the outside on the north), the sponsorship flags, the nascar branding tower, and of course the mega-tv.

As far as the ballroom, i actually think the whole reason the money has been baked into the nascar money is because the ballroom will be inside this building, which seems more true after seeing that this takes most of the 2 block section up.

It could be the the square facility seen on roof here:

clt017re.jpg

(this is also the rendering i think looks like a docked ship)

...i'm not even so sure that the plaza will be as large as it looks in this rendering, either. clt034ps.jpg

Using the hampton inn/hilton garden inn complex as a reference point, All the people look like they are on 2nd street itself, which curves south before meeting caldwell.

I like very much.  Two questions, though: 

1) What happens on that huge plaza when there's not an event going on?

2) Will Panos Hotels actually do something with those elevator shafts next  door?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Panos is already doing something with the outside of the shafts. They are getting included in the paint scheme of the rest, and will get details like a clock, and something for the top. However, i'd be very surprised if they didn't build the final phase if nascar builds. The elevator shafts are there already, so no cranes are needed (the original intention for building the shafts anyway), and i believe they can even use wood to build, as it is really just a short suburban motel placed to sit ontop of the deck.

as far as the plaza. The more i look at that, the more i'm convinced that a majority of what looks like a plaza is really just a closed off 2nd street. It will have some area between the street and the HOF, as the street curves around there.

It may just be a conceptual aspect of the rendering, but it almost looks like granite or cobbled materials. I think it would be very euro if they used those granite or brick or cobbling materials on 2nd st and Brevard st and then not have any curbs separating the streets from the open space they'd just have the typical planters or poles to keep cars in the right place. Then, around events, it really becomes a plaza when they shut down car traffic.

I will be highly agitated if they plan to permanently close 2nd, though an at grade paver plaza would be fine.......I'm trying to figure out for what reason the plaza would be used?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For the annual Hall of Fame Induction ceremony and any other large event that occurs during good weather. NASCAR also has an annual awards banquet.

wow. the whining. i can see this columnist pacing his loft apt., enraged with anger...."who does charlotte think she is?"

sweaty and disheveled he dials the last number he dialed. the number which belongs to a girl whom he feels is inferior to himself. shes not a beauty queen, but a really nice girl, who after a couple of weeks her kindness has been dulled by clarity. dennis rogers paces back and forth waiting for her to pick up the phone.....only to get the message of a disconnected number. rejectted and fuming he runs and dives onto his bed, smothering his sobs and biting his pillow....."i'll get you charlotte, i swear."

lol.

this is just an editorial :).

i'm actually surprised there haven't been stronger editorials in charlotte's papers about the cost, etc. (other than tomtom's recent article stressing there is more to charlotte than racing...duh).

i'm actually surprised there haven't been stronger editorials in charlotte's papers about the cost, etc.  (other than tomtom's recent article stressing there is more to charlotte than racing...duh).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is pretty amazing how it seems everyone came together on this project after all the opposition to funding for the arts package, arena, light rail transit, and even imaginon.

The whole entrance of Kansas City in this race leaves me scratching my head. Who goes to Kansas City? Sure, there are Nascar Fans on the west coast, but give me a break, Sports fans all have to come to Canton, Ohio for the Football Hall of Fame, Springfield, Massachusetts for the Basketball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, New York for the Baseball Hall of fame, and Toronto, Ontario for the Hockey Hall of Fame. Do people still go? Of course they do. I could see arguments for Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta and Daytona, but KC makes no sense and their argument is weak at best.

lol. 

this is just an editorial :).

i'm actually surprised there haven't been stronger editorials in charlotte's papers about the cost, etc.  (other than tomtom's recent article stressing there is more to charlotte than racing...duh).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is Charlotte secure enough in its identity to say, "We support NASCAR. So what are you lookin' at !?" ? :)

The whole entrance of Kansas City in this race leaves me scratching my head. Who goes to Kansas City? Sure, there are Nascar Fans on the west coast, but give me a break, Sports fans all have to come to Canton, Ohio for the Football Hall of Fame, Springfield, Massachusetts for the Basketball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, New York for the Baseball Hall of fame, and Toronto, Ontario for the Hockey Hall of Fame. Do people still go? Of course they do. I could see arguments for Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta and Daytona, but KC makes no sense and their argument is weak at best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't get the KC thing either. By the way, wasn't it not too long ago (perhaps 5 years) that the NCAA headquarters abandoned Kansas City for greener pastures in Indianapolis?

I don't get the KC thing either.  By the way, wasn't it not too long ago (perhaps 5 years) that the NCAA headquarters abandoned Kansas City for greener pastures in Indianapolis?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why smelly cat, I believe you are right. :huh: I am not going to fret the whole KC thing. It is ATL that has me a bit more concerned. Even with ATL in the mix I feel that CLT will come away the victor.

BTW, do you own the Smelly Cat in Noda ??? (not to get off topic of course)...

why smelly cat, I believe you are right.  :huh: I am not going to fret the whole KC thing. It is ATL that has me a bit more concerned. Even with ATL in the mix I feel that CLT will come away the victor.

BTW, do you own the Smelly Cat in Noda ??? (not to get off topic of course)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, I don't. I'm just a fan of the place. And most of NoDa for that matter :)

It is ATL that has me a bit more concerned. Even with ATL in the mix I feel that CLT will come away the victor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know what Atlanta is up to. But considering how secretive they've been, it can't be good. Perhaps they'll pull the old '96 Olympics trick again? So far, Atlanta has not released anything substantive about their bid. No rendering. No concrete info on the cost. Everything about their bid is purely speculation. So it's either very good. Or it's very bad and they need to hide it. :P

I read Dennis Rogers' column. He does make some good points. However, I think he fancies himself as somewhat of a curmudgeon, so I took it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for explaining why Charlotte wants the HOF. I appreciate it. I do have one more question: When the tour of the bid cities starts, in what order will they go? Alphabetical, random or what?

ETA: Tomorrow's AJC has an article describing the economic impact the HOF could make.Economic impact on Atlanta pegged at $1 billion over decade The AJC got a copy of a study done by Deloitte Consulting that lays out what the HOF would mean in GA. According to the study, Atlanta (Or any city that gets the HOF?) could expect 1 million visitors the first year with a 5% drop after that decreasing attendance to 987,000. So, now we know where Atlanta got those numbers. It's entirely possibly Charlotte could pull similar numbers. It's interesting reading if anyone cares.

Thanks for explaining why Charlotte wants the HOF. I appreciate it. I do have one more question: When the tour of the bid cities starts, in what order will they go? Alphabetical, random or what?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I understand, the nascar offices will take 60 days to go over the bids. After that they will decide how many of the cities they want to tour, my guess is that it will be all five, but it could end up being three or four. The schedule probably will not be set until the finalist are determined, most likely in a random order.

I don't know what Atlanta is up to. But considering how secretive they've been, it can't be good. Perhaps they'll pull the old '96 Olympics trick again? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, that is lie about everythning about their city? The weather, the crime, and the transportation?

:w00t:

From what I understand, the nascar offices will take 60 days to go over the bids. After that they will decide how many of the cities they want to tour, my guess is that it will be all five, but it could end up being three or four. The schedule probably will not be set until the finalist are determined, most likely in a random order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Charlotte Observer says the bids are going this week to Raleigh...to a sports-consulting group called OneSport that will essentially take the bids and remove all the fluff and spin out of them. The group will then give a summary of each bid with the pros and cons, I assume before sending back to NASCAR.

Archived