NASCAR Hall of Fame

cityboi

Yeah, I think their numbers are way down. Probably at least 1/2-2/3 of those 400,000 that are downtown this week would visit the HOF, then add that to the rest of the year visitors, then add that to the UAW-GM 500 race in the fall and we've easily got 1 million+ visitors. My friend is downtown right now and she said the place is packed.

Article from USA Today about the nascar hall of fame. It mostly focuses on the growth of the sport over the past decade and the importance of racing on the Charlotte area economy. Theres also a link to a nice interacive map showing the cities competeing and info about their bids.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nasca...car-cover_x.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparantly the USA Today reporter met with McCrory and commented that they had no idea that Charlotte was such a big city. <_<

Only KC lists 1 million visitors now. I thought there were 2 or 3 cities that were touting those numbers.

Don't you just LOVE how news writers research their stories:

"Daytona Beach is drawing on its history as the birthplace of the sport as well as the fact that it's home to NASCAR headquarters"

Or is Daytona trying to steal Charlotte's claim of being the birthplace.

It is interesting to watch the cities compete for NASCAR. I think there are only three real contenders from what I have heard -- Charlotte, Atlanta, and Kansas City. The only way I can see Kansas City get it is if NASCAR really is obsessed with pushing it nationally and wants a central location. In my opinion, of these three cities, Charlotte should get the HOF if you look at its historical and cultural ties to the sport. But in the real world, pragmatic numbers typically count for more. That is why I would probably bet on Atlanta if I were a betting person (BTW, I am not). While I agree that Charlotte's attendance numbers may be low, the reality seems to be that Atlanta would likely be able to attract more people to the museum. I would suspect that most visitors to the HOF not from the host city and its surrounding region would not be traveling to the city just to see the HOF. Granted there are die-hard fans that would, but I suspect they would be outnumberd by others who happen to be in the city for other reasons. And that is Atlanta's attendance strength. There is just a much larger pool of people coming to Atlanta for other reasons that could be siphoned off into the museum. Atlanta has the third busiest convention center in the nation just a short walk from the proposed HOF site. And there are all the other things (major league sports, world's busiest airport, etc.) that attrach people to Atlanta. Charlotte cannot equal those numbers. And of course, there are the numbers that typically matter most - $$$$$$$$$. Atlanta is a center of major NASCAR sponsors and will put forth a financially competitive bid. I really could not care less since I am not a NASCAR fan and would almost certainly never visit the museum in whatever city gets it. I agree that Charlotte should get it, but I suspect that Atlanta will get it. Atlanta has pulled many a rabbit out of the hat so to speak (e.g., the Olympics). NASCAR has not proved very loyal to the communities that gave birth to it and built it up over the years. To see this, just take a look at all the small towns in the South that were iconic names in the sport and are now loosing their races. NASCAR has become all about numbers and money.

Why does everyone feel Richmond is not a contender?

btw, USA Today a tabloid? You must have read that in a tabloid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I may be underestimating Richmond, but my guess is that due to its size, corporate community, and location, it would not be able to match the numbers ($$$ and attendance) that Charlotte or Atlanta could pull off.

Don't you just LOVE how news writers research their stories:

"Daytona Beach is drawing on its history as the birthplace of the sport as well as the fact that it's home to NASCAR headquarters"

Or is Daytona trying to steal Charlotte's claim of being the birthplace.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, Daytona is actually making that claim. I'm not a follower of NASCAR, but it appears to stem from one place being the birthplace of NASCAR and the other being the birthplace of stock car racing. I don't know which is which or how true that is.

Charlotte may be able to pull it off with such public support behind it. OTOH, NASCAR has been actively promoting the sport in metro Atlanta. It seems Atlanta has something that NASCAR wants (and why they were so eager to accept a bid from Atlanta) -- a huge black population. NASCAR wants to change that part of their image badly. Atlanta also has the tourist traffic. Charlotte needs the NHOF to increase its visibility, but Atlanta already has that, so they can just offer raw numbers. Atlanta just wants the money. Charlotte wants the money and needs the exposure. IMO, I think it's really going to come down to Charlotte and Atlanta. KC would most likely open another obscure sports museum that few people attend. It wouldn't raise much visibility of the sport since no one really ever goes to KC! :P

I may be underestimating Richmond, but my guess is that due to its size, corporate community, and location, it would not be able to match the numbers ($$$ and attendance) that Charlotte or Atlanta could pull off.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Size? how big is cooperstown? Richmond does have a metro of over 1.1million. Corporate community? Try Genworth Financial, Circuit City, Dominion, Philip Morris, CarMax, Wachovia Securities, Performance Food Group, Capital One's major presence etc..etc...all told about 12 Fortune 1000 companies, 6 of those in the top 500. It may not be Atlanta or Charlotte, but there is a large, united, corporate community. The location? 50% of the nation's population is within a day's drive. And it's not like Virginia has no racing tradition. Right now, RIC is the underdog. If it loses, people will say well it just didnt have a chance with the likes of Charlotte and Atlanta. But wouldnt it hurt bad if Richmond did win?

it really looks good for us to have such solid financing. If we don't get the HOF, maybe we can make our own anyway :).

if nascar bypasses charlotte for the HOF, does anyone think it has potential for the powerful carolinas racing stakeholders to form their own competing racing world? It just seems with all the stars, teams, and track owners, that they could potentially survive without the france/florida group. I am not sure, but it seems like an interesting possibility or threat.

it really looks good for us to have such solid financing.  If we don't get the HOF, maybe we can make our own anyway :)

if nascar bypasses charlotte for the HOF, does anyone think it has potential for the powerful carolinas racing stakeholders to form their own competing racing world?  It just seems with all the stars, teams, and track owners, that they could potentially survive without the france/florida group.  I am not sure, but it seems like an interesting possibility or threat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cannot see a "competing" HOF as such, but I can see one focused more specifically on racing the Carolinas. I keep thinking that the Carolinas are not so near and dear to NASCAR anymore given the sport's desire to go national. The closing of these small town races is part of that.

Archived