The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

becuz columbia is just a big whop sided suburb......where everyone loves to drive in traffic instead of using transit systems(the few that we actually have) and love to waste gas and energy; with a few sprinkles of tall buildings in the center of the suburb people like to call downtown...i dont know why? :huh:

This basically applies to just about every Southern city--even your beloved Charlotte. ;)

If you go to Sandhills, you can see the area behind the village that has been cleared for the stadium. I'm truly disappointed, because I thought that area would be built into more stores, restaurants, or homes.

Hopefully the county will vote it down. Since I'm an official Richland County resident and live close by, I will see if I can contact the council about it. I really want the stadium to be DT. I hate to say it, but if they build the stadium and locate a ball team there, it will not be successful.

If you go to Sandhills, you can see the area behind the village that has been cleared for the stadium. I'm truly disappointed, because I thought that area would be built into more stores, restaurants, or homes.

Hopefully the county will vote it down. Since I'm an official Richland County resident and live close by, I will see if I can contact the council about it. I really want the stadium to be DT. I hate to say it, but if they build the stadium and locate a ball team there, it will not be successful.

Yeah, you really need to do that.

Why would someone build a staduim in the burbs? If the plan goes through, out of towners will have a tough time finding the stadium. Nevertheless, the stadium will look out of place.

It won't be...Downtown is a central location for everybody to go to the stadium....Richland Northeast is TOO FAR to travel...I really doubt anybody would want to go that far out in traffic for the games.

Please do that. It seems as though Kahn is really riding on his success of the Village so far to get the stadium built.

I don't entirely agree with the stadium out in the burbs, but I think the developers are banking on the success of the village. Meaning that if they can get people to come out to the village on summer nights to shop then those people will come see the game, and vice versa. Also being that baseball is considered a family event, families would tend to feel safer out in suburbia rather than DT amongst the drunk college kids/ and young urban adults in the Vista. I would love to see the stadium DT but I don't think that building it out at the village it would be unsuccessful.

Please do that. It seems as though Kahn is really riding on his success of the Village so far to get the stadium built.

If Kahn wants his Village to be successful, he needs to quit building the area in a "piece-meal" fashion. The JCPenney is built and a Belk is planned, but there are still open dirt areas where more building is supposed to occur with pipes and foundation markers sticking out everywhere. Right now, some people are shopping there, but there's not that much to it. If the village is slow in completion, shoppers will eventually ignore it; it will get a bad reputation as a half-finished project. If he finishes the project, it will become more of a destination shopping area.

I will contact my county rep and tell them about the stadium situation. You all have made excellent points, especially considering how "out-of-the-way" the new stadium would be for most of the Cola metro area.

So is Cola getting 2 new baseball stadium? In today's business section it says "USC officials are close to finalizing a deal with the Guignard family to build a $15 million to $20 million baseball stadium on a site "along the Congaree River. Is this USC's way of keeping there stadium to their self? I don't think we need 2 stadiums.Thats means more taxes on the people of Richland Co.I think it should be a joint venue. Why put a college baseball stadium downtown and put the minor league stadium in the burbs <_<<_< ????? Something smells fishy....

So is Cola getting 2 new baseball stadium? In today's business section it says "USC officials are close to finalizing a deal with the Guignard family to build a $15 million to $20 million baseball stadium on a site "along the Congaree River. Is this USC's way of keeping there stadium to their self? I don't think we need 2 stadiums.Thats means more taxes on the people of Richland Co.I think it should be a joint venue. Why put a college baseball stadium downtown and put the minor league stadium in the burbs <_<<_< ????? Something smells fishy....

If I'm not mistaken, neither facility is being built with tax dollars and I seriously doubt that a stadium in the NE will get built.

Not to mention that we already have a stadium that isn't being used. I mean, if we aren't going to share then why not rennovate the existing facility

If I'm not mistaken, neither facility is being built with tax dollars and I seriously doubt that a stadium in the NE will get built.

I don't know, waccamatt, my wife and I have been shopping Sandhills quite frequently, and they have this huge tract of land cleared and no plans to add on to the shopping center there. According to one of the business owners I talked to, the stadium will be built there, and beside it, there will be condos or apartments.

I haven't heard about any changes with the plans. I hope they scrap the stadium and just build more to Sandhills.

I don't know, waccamatt, my wife and I have been shopping Sandhills quite frequently, and they have this huge tract of land cleared and no plans to add on to the shopping center there. According to one of the business owners I talked to, the stadium will be built there, and beside it, there will be condos or apartments.

I haven't heard about any changes with the plans. I hope they scrap the stadium and just build more to Sandhills.

I don't think the stadium will be built without county funds and I doubt the county wants a baseball stadium built there.

I had to go out to the Village at Sandhill tonight. Traffic on Two Notch was ridiculous. I am so glad I live and work in-town. I saw the funniest thing at Sandhill tonight. It was too bad I didn't have my camera with me. A car with a "Save the Sandhills" bumper sticker (the village protest stickers) was there parked and its owners shopping. They really stuck to their guns!

I agree...living in NE Cola was probably the best decision for my wife and me. I hope that the Village will become more of a premier shopping and dining destination...just last night my wife agreed that the stadium should not be built there. Since she's off from teaching, she said that she might try to contact our county rep! :wub: We're going to try to put pressure on the county to vote no on the stadium, then maybe Kahn might have to work something out with the new USC baseball stadium!

Archived