The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it would be nice....but as we said before Columbia is a very suburban city as far as retail is concerned, and it would take a miracle for tenants like sharper image and other specialty shops to consider 5 points/downtown instead of Harbison or The Village...It's unfortunate but that's just how it is....but then again 5 points does have more independantly owned businesses so maybe that is a good thing that chains dont go in that area so the others wont close i guess

I had a thought about this Sandhill project. As many of you may know, I have not been a fan of this development lately. However- it occurs to me that if this thing is set up similar to other new urbanist projects, there is potential for infill in the parking lots and the condensation of parking into structures, and possibly the integration of more residential components into the design. I don't know if that is the case, but if it is, then it has some potential to regain my favor. I realize that my approval means absolutely nothing, but the notion that this project is not as bad as I thought it was is intriguing to me. Does any one know if that is the case?

I still don't like the idea of a baseball stadium out there though.

Well, the trend does seem to be to make suburban projects like this more "urban" in nature, which is, I think, the right thing to do. I mean, let's face it--the suburbs are here to stay. So why not go this route? I'm not sure what the future plans are for the project, but if this what they plan to do, then I'm all for it.

Here in Lexington, (KY) there is a similar development called Hamburg Pavilion fully equiped with all of the suburban shopping/dinning accesories such as Garden Ridge, Saks off 5th Ave., P. F. Changs, Q'doba, etc. Condos/townhomes have been built there as well. I havent been to the village so I don't know how it looks but hamburg is pretty sad. There are a ton of condos that have not been sold, and they have been complete for about a year now. I just couldn't imagine electively living near a shopping center/stripmall. I don't care what people call it, or what the spin on it is "outlet ctr./ a strip mall is still a strip mall. Anyway hopefully the village intends to do more because the bubble is gonna burst here in Lexington.

http://www.kahndevelopment.com/village/stores.php

Coming Soons: Ashley Furniture, Brighton Collectibles, Lane Bryant, Select Comfort, Sharper Image, Bluepoint Fish Club, Red Bowl Asian Bistro, & Wild Wing Cafe.......Interesting........ -_-

I can see a Gap coming in there....but would be nicer to see it in the Vista instead wouldnt it? And we definately need a Barnes & Noble or Borders Books at the Village! Come on im tired of driving to Richland Mall's barnes & noble!

They have a great selection of books. The one that I frequent here in Rock Hill was built in Manchester Village, which is something like the Village at Sandhill and has a brick facade attached to a smaller little Joe Mugg's (I think that's the name of the coffee shop). I think it looks good.

Archived