The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said that I hated Belk, as a matter of fact I love Belk. All I'm trying to say is that Columbia needs variety. VAS is a new shopping complex that is supposed to be a place that Columbians and visitors alike can go to enjoy something new and different. If that's not what the developers were looking to bring to the area when it was built, what's the purpose? Why should I drive to NE Columbia to go to JCPenny and Belk, when I can go to Belk at Dutch Square, Columbiana or Richland? Come on people, give me a reason to drive to NE!

Well, I'm sure Kahn tried to lure new stores, in which he did succeed with several, including Sharper Image, Wild Wings, HHGregg, Nestle Tollhouse, and a few others, but nothing really "big dealish" for people who live in other parts of Columbia to want to drive there......and from what I remember, a few restaurants and retailers who originally planned to open at the Village ended up not going because of the fact that it took so long for the Village to open, and/or Kahn wanted something "different"....for example Red Lobster & Olive Garden ended up moving from Decker to Two Notch, Circuit City was going to VAS but ended up at Two Notch, and a few others.....VAS just filled a huge retail void in the Clemson Rd. area and at least that was accomplished....I must say there has been a huge retail demographic shift in Northeast Columbia in the past 5-10 years, given that alot of stores that were once in and around Columbia Place have moved out in the Clemson Road & N. Two Notch areas......even Bombay Company in Richland mall closed and moved to the Village, I didnt expect the Village to take business away from Richland mall, I just dont know what it is with that mall....i think its cursed.....

Well, I'm sure Kahn tried to lure new stores, in which he did succeed with several, including Sharper Image, Wild Wings, HHGregg, Nestle Tollhouse, and a few others, but nothing really "big dealish" for people who live in other parts of Columbia to want to drive there......and from what I remember, a few restaurants and retailers who originally planned to open at the Village ended up not going because of the fact that it took so long for the Village to open, and/or Kahn wanted something "different"....for example Red Lobster & Olive Garden ended up moving from Decker to Two Notch, Circuit City was going to VAS but ended up at Two Notch, and a few others.....VAS just filled a huge retail void in the Clemson Rd. area and at least that was accomplished....I must say there has been a huge retail demographic shift in Northeast Columbia in the past 5-10 years, given that alot of stores that were once in and around Columbia Place have moved out in the Clemson Road & N. Two Notch areas......even Bombay Company in Richland mall closed and moved to the Village, I didnt expect the Village to take business away from Richland mall, I just dont know what it is with that mall....i think its cursed.....

I just hope turning Richland Mall into Midtown at Forest Acres is a huge success.

The State has a big new story on the need for a county review of the proposed Sandhill baseball stadium. I am not a fan of this plan by any stretch, but I must say that the rendering (PDF), looks pretty stinkin' cool. :) I love how it's surrounded by the multi-use buildings... very urban. Too bad it's in the suburbs!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let those of you who don't know there are some new store announcements:

Ashley Furniture

The Athlete's Foot

Aveda

Belk(Spring 2007)

Books-A-Million(Fall 2006)

Brighton Collectibles

Christopher & Banks(Spring 2006)

Lane Bryant

Lids

Reeds Jewelers

Rooms To Go(already opened)

Select Comfort(already opened)

Stride Rite(already opened)

No ballpark for Northeast Richland.

Source

Wow, I have witnessed and participated in community action, and it worked! This is a relief, but I don't think Kahn or Heller should give up. They need to concentrate on building a new stadium and bringing a team to DT Cola, if they're serious about bringing pro baseball back to this city. If I were Kahn, I'd be placing a call to the city's mayor today.

What is interesting is the council's argument for turning down the stadium at the Village. Instead of focusing on the fact that the Village just wasn't a good location for the stadium, they mention the money to fund it. IMO, money wasn't the real issue. The Village businesses and additional residences would have been taxed to fund the stadium, as well as the food vendors and other venues provided by the baseball team. The county would not have had to provide exceptional sources of funding...Kahn made it clear that the project would pay for itself.

The more pressing issue is the location, and the article and council both failed to remark about it. Any professional sports venue which markets to an entire metro area should be located more centrally to the metro area to privide convenience for most citizens and ensure adequately-sized crowds to attend games. This is the reason I opposed it and notified council about it.

Archived