The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

Again, these are all chain stores. Open your eyes a little bit and check out some locally owned stores. Charleston has alot of those retailers because of tourists, not because of locals. I don't know anything about women's stores, but Columbia has Savoy and Weathers, two mens stores where you can buy just about anything that you want. I saw a pair of Donald Pliner shoes at Mark Shale in Atlanta. Instead of buying them there I checked the Pliner website to see if the had a retail outlet in Columbia. Bam, I found out that Savoy on Lady Street carried them and alot of other top brands. Williams-Sonoma is a great kitchen store, but so is Cucina in the Vista. Why the fascination with chain stores? Open your eyes, people, your money is leaving our state in large heaps. Do you have no pride?

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, these are all chain stores. Open your eyes a little bit and check out some locally owned stores. Charleston has alot of those retailers because of tourists, not because of locals. I don't know anything about women's stores, but Columbia has Savoy and Weathers, two mens stores where you can buy just about anything that you want. I saw a pair of Donald Pliner shoes at Mark Shale in Atlanta. Instead of buying them there I checked the Pliner website to see if the had a retail outlet in Columbia. Bam, I found out that Savoy on Lady Street carried them and alot of other top brands. Williams-Sonoma is a great kitchen store, but so is Cucina in the Vista. Why the fascination with chain stores? Open your eyes, people, your money is leaving our state in large heaps. Do you have no pride?

I'm just trying to prove a point that 803metlife pointed out earlier about how columbia is always the last metro city in SC to get a nationally known store that doesn't even need high income demographics. I didn't say anything about locally owned businesses.....

What you have to understand is that it is last for a reason. Greenville is part of a metro that is nearly twice the size of Columbia's. Charleston gets ALOT of tourists who are reasy to spend some money. (Just don't tell them that they have the same stores at home). Most of their stores are on King St, where the tourists go. It really makes sense if you think about it.

Columbia has the states only "Super BILO", and BILO is based in Mauldin. I don't know, I never had a problem shopping for clothes when I lived in Columbia. I just went to TJ Maxx, Marhalls, or Burlington if I wanted to get "name brand stuff. I never pay full price for things like that if I can help it. Actually my store now is Target' but then again I'm a cheap skate?

Burlington? TJMaxx? Somebody shoot me........i must be the youngest person in here lol no offense guys

I'm 19 and I like getting my Ecko and South pole shirts from there...I go to Dutch Square or Columbia Mall to get my pants...Burlington sells all my urban wear for cheaper than me going to Belk and Dillards

• 4 weeks later...

Kinda off subject, besides the Home Depot that they're building at the village, they tore down that army place thing close to the Wal-Mart on Two Notch and they're building a Lowe's........and I have found out that neither of them are moving from the other Two Notch locations.....

Kinda off subject, besides the Home Depot that they're building at the village, they tore down that army place thing close to the Wal-Mart on Two Notch and they're building a Lowe's........and I have found out that neither of them are moving from the other Two Notch locations.....

It is interesting that they are not closing the old locations, but NE Columbia has a very large population base and the stores closer in also service many people that live in-town.

I guess it's because the fact that there are enough people to accomdoate both locations......but we'll see....maybe the newer ones might hurt the older locations......just like when the Sandhills cinema opened....Polo ended up closing....but that also had to do with General Cinemas buying Eastern Federal.....

Re: Columbia not getting stores first- you got Macy's, Parisian and Bonwit Teller before other cities got them.

Greenville got some really good ones when Greenville Mall re-opened in '95 (Harold's, Williams-Sonoma, etc.), but the mall went under; the stores are now scattered around Greenville at various places. Haywood has definitely improved recently, with Pottery Barn, etc.

Columbia needs a high fashion store. Like when columbia first got arden b. it attracted so many people (females). We don't necessary have to have a Burberry store , but just something to appericate and let us know that the city is progression. Instead of the same , Walmart, Jc Penny, T.j. Maxx, Marshall on every side of the city. To be honest with everyone, that's what gave me the passion to start real estate. I was tired of complaining what columbia doesn't have, and I wanted to put myself in a position where i can make a difference. So if all goes well, what ever we don't have hopefully i'll be the first to bring it here.

Awesome metlife you have the right attitude! It will be people like you who get out and do things instead of waiting for them to happen that will take Columbia to the next level! It's that same type of forsight that transformed Charlotte, Austin, & Raleigh into national players in there respective areas. I mean let's be honest there is nothing these places have that similar size cities dont its just that they had enough "balls" to make things happen!

Awesome metlife you have the right attitude! It will be people like you who get out and do things instead of waiting for them to happen that will take Columbia to the next level! It's that same type of forsight that transformed Charlotte, Austin, & Raleigh into national players in there respective areas. I mean let's be honest there is nothing these places have that similar size cities dont its just that they had enough "balls" to make things happen!

I agree :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

God JCPenney sux......i went in there just to get some socks the other day, they didnt' even have variety for that! lol.......and it seems like they're trying to copy Kohl's concept.....i felt like i was in Kohl's for real.....they just need to go bankrupt and join it's friends Service Merchandise and Montgomery Ward in hell so something else can open there....something more upscale please!

Seems like Kahn is still intent on bringing a ballpark to NE Richland:

County asked to finance stadium

This guy is an idiot. What a horrible place to put such a grand idea. The road network in that area cannot handle the traffic impact that would be made by such a huge development. Not to mention that it is bad enough as it is.

This guy is an idiot. What a horrible place to put such a grand idea. The road network in that area cannot handle the traffic impact that would be made by such a huge development. Not to mention that it is bad enough as it is.

Your right the roads does need some major improving, but i think Khan is trying to get somewhere!! I think the stadium would give the area a great urban blend. But I think it would also look better on the West Cola side, with a perfect view of Columbia's skyline!! Wouldn't that be awesome

God JCPenney sux......i went in there just to get some socks the other day, they didnt' even have variety for that! lol.......and it seems like they're trying to copy Kohl's concept.....i felt like i was in Kohl's for real.....they just need to go bankrupt and join it's friends Service Merchandise and Montgomery Ward in hell so something else can open there....something more upscale please!

Why does everything need to be upscale?

Archived