POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

Any guesses whether the W Hotel design will be roughly the same look as the proposed 110 design or if they will go for something different? It seemed to be a very popular design with its "modern," "heroic" and "contextual" design (to use terms from the architects website on the project) at least judging from the responses I've heard.

"Satisfying the developer

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good catch on this one. The lots on either side of Westminster don't exactly line up - the buildings are staggered. It was shown pretty well in all the original 110 renders. I don't think this building, whatever it ends up being, would be hidden at all. I'm with Garris to a certain extent in that I'd like to see something a little taller ideally (it hurts a little inside that Hartford of all places has a new tallest building, and we don't), but I have no problem whatsoever with Providence's tallest building continuing to be its signature art deco jewel.

As for the Arcade...I think it'll be business as usual for a while. The sale of the 110 project doesn't have much bearing on it, as it wasn't really part of the project, aside from the proposed connection that ended up being taken out of the plan anyway. As dead as the Arcade is businesswise, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. It's just too much of a fixture, too well constructed, and too important to architects and preservation groups in Providence and elsewhere for anyone to really touch it.

As for dramatic housing market improvement...we're forecast to hit the bottom of the slump in RI this coming winter/spring, and then make a comeback after that. Whether it can be termed "dramatic" is anyone's guess, but does anyone really know how these things will play out anyway?

• 2 months later...

I'd be happy with the 20 something story W Hotel at this point. Poor condo sales and the continuing additional units already planned and under construction in the city have killed the 500 ft proposal and without a major corporate move into Providence (given the weakening economy and RI's tax structure) I don't see it happening. Believe me, I wanted this the way it was proposed too...

I'd rather have this as a hotel, the BCBS building go up freeing up more affordable office space in the city and then E@B to add to the density at this stage of the game.

My husband went to the Arcade two weeks ago (for the first time IN HIS LIFE after living in PVD for 16 years). He went to the game store and said that he was very impressed with the owner's helpfulness, selction, etc. However, his feeling was that the game store is pretty much the only thing going on at the Arcade (...trying desperately not to write "only game in town")...(sorry)

• 2 weeks later...

This building would have made a bold statement for the Renaissance City. A new tallest structure for the new century. But an all residential building would have been a little strange. Instead they should combine it with a new corporate headquarters like an APC or Textron with the W Hotel.

Or Hasbro. Why does Hasbro hide on Newport Ave? I know there is the Hasbro Children's Hospital across the highway but what about a bold corporate world headquarters in downtown that everyone who passes thru the city can see? Oh yea that is where Hasbro is. They make nice, lead free toy's. They could still keep the Newport Ave. site for R&D.

And with a hotel in the building, all of the visitors from around the world, would not have to go far. Especially in Jan.

It could also house the offices of the new Providence Waterfires National League Baseball Team.

I dont understand why hotel projects such as this and the triangular parcel are on hold or are having $$ problems... --I THINK-- I THINK... note: I THINK --> That the Dunk/CC is doing really well this year with booking events already... and I'm guessing the increase in hotel rooms has been a big reason... but thats what I think.. I've failed to find written proof online but I swear I remember hearing about the steady rise this year in bookings compared to last year

so whats the deal??

In both cases to me it seems more to do with the internal issues of the principal companies than due to market conditions. If 110W had been completed when they had first intended, the condo market was still hot at that time. With both that and the Carpianato's Intercontinental, they've been in the works during the same time as other hotel projects (Westin II, Renaissance) that did come to fruition and the market has absorbed the supply. Since then, more have been announced and are moving forward as well (Hampton, aLoft, Sierra, et al). Although it's a little saturated in the upscale segment, the demand overall is still there.

I really think The Arcade needs an anchor to draw people all year, all day, and all week. It's really just been a lunch spot for so long and I don't even think it is open on the weekend. The Arcade needs an anchor and Westminster needs an anchor.

I agree with your point. But, I also agree with Granoff's when looking at the big picture. Securing a large, major tenant will increase pedestrian traffic in and out of the mall, thus making the mall a success, allowing the other smaller retailers to take shape and be even more successful as well. It's hard to imagine how it would be set up inside for a major tenant, given the layout. But, there is a lot of space in there on three floors. It would be significantly non-traditional and unique. I can totally see a Staples in there with signage on Westminster & Weybosset. But, that's not enough to make me go in everyday. Let's just hope it takes place soon! Enough waiting already.

Evan Granoff of Granoff Associates, which manages The Arcade, said that the company is pursuing a mid- to large-size retailer to take over a "significant" portion of the mall. "Once we find a major tenant, [the big national store] will act as an anchor, and then we will fill in the remaining space with smaller retailers," he said. "We don't want to start giving out leases until we know what kind of space we have."

For the three years since Granoff purchased the Arcade he has said the same thing about waiting for an "anchor". In the mean time many entrepreneurs have tried to rent space, all being told that no leases are being given. This is a travesty. Not only has it turned the Arcade into a wasteland but it has taken away the opportunity for businesses to take root in Providence. On top of that countless businesses have quietly had to close having no new tenants to lend support.

Three years of being strangled. How much longer is it going to take to except that waiting for an anchor is not a good idea on any level. We have the oldest indoor mall in the United States, a nation landmark, right in the heart of downtown.

Let the owner operated small businesses move in and flourish in an environment made for them. In a time when chains are everywhere Granoff in his quest for profit is missing a chance to let the Arcade grow and once again show it's historical, cultural personality.

Archived