POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, it sounds like we are still going to get a 22-story very high end branded hotel out of this deal. It sucks about the loss of height and the empty lot, etc., but we all know whats going on with the housing/condo market and I'm sure all of us had our doubts about filling all these new condos with Waterplace, CapCove, Westin II, and seemingly countless mill conversions coming on-line in the next couple years. The W is still an exciting project that needs to happen. Do you how many other MAJOR cities don't even have a W and we might get one???

we've had a pretty high % of major projects being announced to become completed. There are always set-backs and cancellations, but who knows what will happen in the future...

well, it sounds like we are still going to get a 22-story very high end branded hotel out of this deal. It sucks about the loss of height and the empty lot, etc., but we all know whats going on with the housing/condo market and I'm sure all of us had our doubts about filling all these new condos with Waterplace, CapCove, Westin II, and seemingly countless mill conversions coming on-line in the next couple years. The W is still an exciting project that needs to happen. Do you how many other MAJOR cities don't even have a W and we might get one???

we've had a pretty high % of major projects being announced to become completed. There are always set-backs and cancellations, but who knows what will happen in the future...

Well, while I'm impressed with everyone's maturity (no "I told you so!" yet :) ) and at the "think positive" attitude regarding this, I'll be one to say that I'm really bummed... After seeing Hartford get its new tower and Philadelphia's its new impressive tallest (the Comcast Tower), I was really looking forward to 110...

From a skyline perspective, I'm not sure this will make much of a difference except from the South. As was pointed out, the floor heights will be shorter than office heights. A building about as tall as 50 KP will for the most part not be visible behind it from the North and won't be very visible behind Textron from the East. From the South, the new hotel would just replace 50 KP's place in the overall contour of the skyline...

I'm thrilled something will be going there and I'm pleased at the impact it'll have on the streetscape, but it'll take me a bit to get over the loss of the tower...

- Garris

PS: Unmentioned in all this is where this leaves the Arcade in the new plans...

the only thing it'll do from the north is show up around the angled sides of 50 KP. i do wish it were a few stories taller to stick up ever so slightly, though perhaps if they do a W on top in teh style of the biltmore sign, it'd make enough of an impact from all angles.

I'm not so sure this will be hidden by 50 KP from the north. An aerial view so you can see what I'm getting at:

30506764oo3.jpg

As seen from the area around Waterplace Park and PPM, the hotel shouldn't be directly behind 50 KP, but immediately to its right, between it and Superman. Think of the early renderings of One Ten, in which almost all of the tower was visible because of the present space in the skyline. From the north it is the Turks Head Building, rather than the site of the new hotel, that is mostly hidden by 50KP.

Good point about the Arcade, Garris.

As for dramatic housing market improvement...we're forecast to hit the bottom of the slump in RI this coming winter/spring, and then make a comeback after that. Whether it can be termed "dramatic" is anyone's guess, but does anyone really know how these things will play out anyway?

Can I get a source check on this? A couple pages back in this thread I tried to ask Baines why he thought the market was going to "return by spring 2008" but didn't get a reply. I can be a little pessimistic about the housing market, but I always try to find information that will prove me wrong.

Can I get a source check on this? A couple pages back in this thread I tried to ask Baines why he thought the market was going to "return by spring 2008" but didn't get a reply. I can be a little pessimistic about the housing market, but I always try to find information that will prove me wrong.

Any guesses whether the W Hotel design will be roughly the same look as the proposed 110 design or if they will go for something different? It seemed to be a very popular design with its "modern," "heroic" and "contextual" design (to use terms from the architects website on the project) at least judging from the responses I've heard.

"Satisfying the developer

Archived