POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

I wonder whatever happened to those historic murals that were saved and put into storage. I guess they'll probably end up in the same landfill as the Weybosset facade.

While they're paving the 110 site, they might as well also convert the Arcade into 3 levels of indoor parking, afterall they were looking for a single tenant... and just think of all the parking there would be on that block (dont forget the prop. mechanical garage too), no one would need to walk around downtown again. :rolleyes:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder whatever happened to those historic murals that were saved and put into storage. I guess they'll probably end up in the same landfill as the Weybosset facade.

While they're paving the 110 site, they might as well also convert the Arcade into 3 levels of indoor parking, afterall they were looking for a single tenant... and just think of all the parking there would be on that block (dont forget the prop. mechanical garage too), no one would need to walk around downtown again. :rolleyes:

I think the Arcade is a safety hazard now that the building next to it is gone and there is nothing to hold up that side of the building, call the building inspector I think an emergency demolition is necessary! Besides I think I saw some vagrants milling about and we don't want them to get hurt.

I have read this thread quite a bit since I found these boards about a year ago and am a little sad to see this project canceled.

It is my opinion that in order for a city to reach a point of sustainability there needs to be a lively downtown condo market. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that once a city has a vibrant downtown community of condo dwellers, it is less effected by the nations econemy. Cities like NY, Boston, and Toronto seem to be in a sate of constant development. This is because they are fully fleshed out downtowns. (yes I concede size is a factor) Cities like Providence, Hartford, Buffalo are not quite to the point where they are safe.

If Providence had completed all of those planned condos it might be at the point I am talking about. I call it a critical mass. Hartford is likely 2-5 condo towers away as well.

The trick is filling in the parking lots as well (more so in Hartford than Providence)

Eventually Providence will get a few more large residential projects built. Once this happens and condo living is established as "normal" in the downtown there will always be a market for something new. Something different. Something special.

Providence is lucky all ready to be in the position it is in. You have managed to save a great deal of your downtown charm, and attract bold new developments. As long as you do not fall into the trap of false promises and demolish historic buildings for projects that never happen everything will be fine.

It seems the waterfront and the area reclaimed by the I-Way are the new frontier for Providence.

I hope the market conditions change so you can get this thing built as planned, and not a watered down version.

So sadly funny!

With A 7 million dollar renovation plan for the Arcade I hope that the 13 tenants who are mostly our local owner operated entrepreneurs

( Def. "a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.") are not tossed aside as the construction is emphasized. While not allowing acceptance of new tenants during the 3 year search for an "anchor tenant" these remaining tenants have endured as the survival of the fittest. It would be a travesty if these businesses were deemed dispensable in the wake of progress. My hope is that we do not ignored them.

It depends on whether they got in on the tax credits before the guillotine came down. If they're using them, then someone has to approve the design of the interior. If they're not, and just using their own money, I'm pretty sure they have free reign over the inside of the place, which of course is never good. Does anyone know?

Either way, it presents sort of an interesting case in that the interior is totally visible from the exterior.

• 1 month later...

I'm both terrified and looking forward to the discussion this will reap:

I'm told, by sources I consider reliable, that 110 may progress in the next 12 months (preferably sooner) as a shorter building including condos, hotel, and ground floor retail (no name attached to the hotel at this point). The developer is waiting for a tax stabilization deal. I assume the sooner that goes through, the sooner ground breaks. The Weybosset remnant should be incorporated into the new building.

Discuss:

I'm told, by sources I consider reliable, that 110 may progress in the next 12 months (preferably sooner) as a shorter building including condos, hotel, and ground floor retail (no name attached to the hotel at this point). The developer is waiting for a tax stabilization deal. I assume the sooner that goes through, the sooner ground breaks. The Weybosset remnant should be incorporated into the new building.

Discuss:

I'm told, by sources I consider reliable, that 110 may progress in the next 12 months (preferably sooner) as a shorter building including condos, hotel, and ground floor retail (no name attached to the hotel at this point). The developer is waiting for a tax stabilization deal. I assume the sooner that goes through, the sooner ground breaks.

Discuss:

Hey guys I'm posting from the ER! (heart attack at 22)

anyways.. love the AIDS joke! very appropriate and necessary.

now seriously. I really loved the renders for this project :( so it'll be sad to kiss that goodbye, but I'll take any quality project that will increase the downcity population and fill an open lot. This was one of the many many many projects that were announced within about 3 months of me first finding this site so I shouldn't have expected every one to actually happen :P

Discuss:

tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock...

I'm still hoping for a W.

I'm also hoping for this to be in the 200-250 ft range.

Of course I'm also hoping to win the powerball jackpot and for light rail on the old Washington secondary line, if ya catch my drift...

Archived