POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this project is so important. Think of the boost this will give to Westminster street along with a renovated/busy arcade and the other hotel going up across the street. Its only going to help downcity reach that critical mass and what better during a sucky economy than a strong capital city that can hold its own?

These things always erk me... correct me if im wrong, but the tax break technically costs the state nothing right? If they dont approve, it, they wont build it, and the state doesnt loose money. So either way theres no money comming from the budget for this. Granted it should be reserved for only large scale projects that will have an economic benefit, which this project would. If anything this project would MAKE money for the state, not cost money. Though in general observations most dont see that form of logic.

They should have a minimum qualifyable project, such as over $50 million and non-resedential (meaning itd either support jobs or tourism), thus creating a return on the state's "investment".

These things always erk me... correct me if im wrong, but the tax break technically costs the state nothing right? If they dont approve, it, they wont build it, and the state doesnt loose money. So either way theres no money comming from the budget for this. Granted it should be reserved for only large scale projects that will have an economic benefit, which this project would. If anything this project would MAKE money for the state, not cost money. Though in general observations most dont see that form of logic.

They should have a minimum qualifyable project, such as over $50 million and non-resedential (meaning itd either support jobs or tourism), thus creating a return on the state's "investment".

Yes, true, there's not money coming out of the budget, but the PR on it would be bad, frankly. Just as we know that building new bridges when people are homeless is like comparing apples to volkswagons, the fact is that people will make connections between a 1.something million "tax break" for a luxury hotel, and children in RI losing their health insurance because of the state's budget crisis.

And all that aside, if a 1 million dollar tax break is what makes or breaks this project, I would seriously wonder about whether the project would be built. Frankly a sales tax break on furnishings and construction material is not that big of a deal. If they can't do the project without it, I would be skeptical whether it can be done at all. And if they can do it without the tax break, then why aren't they?

Well, if this project wasen't officially dead before it probably is now. :cry:

Hotel tax-break legislation draws ire of House leadership.

A last-minute plan to grant a tax break for a proposed downtown hotel project seemed to have fallen apart yesterday afternoon after legislators realized that the developer was seeking a tax break larger than what had been previously approved.

" A SCALED-BACK plan to allow tax breaks for a stalled Providence hotel project moved to an unexpected passage last night.

A day earlier, the legislation seemed on the brink of collapse after House leadership realized that the developer of the One Ten Westminster Street project was seeking a larger tax break than had been previously approved.

The $102-million, 187-room hotel, which lawmakers have said is a boutique W Hotel is expected to create 274 full-time jobs worth $562,239 to the state over the next three years.

A year ago, the state

What would make this more paletable, i suspect, would be a clause that the developer has to hire local first, in both the construction and the staffing of the hotel. If 50+ people get permanent jobs as a result, the taxes start to get paid back via income tax. Since it is a state thing though, i doubt there was anything written in about that, huh?

What would make this more paletable, i suspect, would be a clause that the developer has to hire local first, in both the construction and the staffing of the hotel. If 50+ people get permanent jobs as a result, the taxes start to get paid back via income tax. Since it is a state thing though, i doubt there was anything written in about that, huh?

I am sure I will probably be skewered for this but I have to ask. I will also preface this by saying I appreciate your conviction and commitment to making PVD great but is NOVA so perfect that you find no reason to post and advocate change there as well?

I spent 3 years in Old Town Alexandria in the early 90's and I can point out numerous issues in the DC / NOVA metro area that need fixing.

I am sure I will probably be skewered for this but I have to ask. I will also preface this by saying I appreciate your conviction and commitment to making PVD great but is NOVA so perfect that you find no reason to post and advocate change there as well?

I spent 3 years in Old Town Alexandria in the early 90's and I can point out numerous issues in the DC / NOVA metro area that need fixing.

i don't know either of you, but i do know jen and i know she's done (or at least tried to in this crazy messed up place) a whole lot more for the city of providence than the majority of people on this board. is it really that bad that she still cares a lot about a city into which she put so much time and effort?

as for living somewhere for 3 years in the early 90's, that's ages ago. i'm sure many of those issues have been addressed and new issues have arisen. regardless, that doesn't mean that jen loses her right to post in this forum. she knows quite a bit about how things go in this city and state and her insight can prove to be very helpful.

i don't know either of you, but i do know jen and i know she's done (or at least tried to in this crazy messed up place) a whole lot more for the city of providence than the majority of people on this board. is it really that bad that she still cares a lot about a city into which she put so much time and effort?

as for living somewhere for 3 years in the early 90's, that's ages ago. i'm sure many of those issues have been addressed and new issues have arisen. regardless, that doesn't mean that jen loses her right to post in this forum. she knows quite a bit about how things go in this city and state and her insight can prove to be very helpful.

For my part what I love is when a person showing a proclivity to uninformed armchair activism comes onto this board and insults the people who are or have actually been out there doing something.

Regarding this issue, I am a little disappointed. Hopefully the GA understand that RIEDC are an advocacy group and that their numbers might be just a little bit slightly inflated. I agree with their mission but I think we threw the baby out with the bathwater on Fidelity, letting them destroy 1200 acres of open land and add even more car only commuting to our state, and that was an RIEDC brainchild. And to answer the question, yes, if the only way to attract businesses here is to present our rears and let them do as they please, then I would rather the business not come. But that's a much larger point. On this one I don't trust the development numbers. Tax credits are great but let's make sure we are actually growing the economy here, not throwing short term band-aids at it. With the amount of hotel rooms coming on line recently I just don't think this is a pure win.

Especially since Garabedian will look at it as something to cite when he decides not to built the Marriot and instead make a big surface lot after he gets the Orange St. abandonment.

Im trying to move back up north somewhere (Anyone know someobody between DC and Boston looking for someone specializing in transportation planning??) Turns out im not cut out for the south, but if im still here, ill give you a tour of our poorly planned city!

Archived