POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the whole idea of lots of little stores was working I'm sure that's what they would be doing. Unfortunately, it's not and hasn't been for quite some. There are 3 floors and lots of space in that place. The Arcade has such great display windows on both Westminster and Weybosset and look at them, they have looked hideous as long as I can remember. Not only will a large anchor pick up the pace it could allow it to be open later in the evening and on weekends, plus it will draw more people into the mall to shop at the smaller stores. This not only gives this place more energy, but it actually helps those smaller businesses to succeed. I'm sure there are plenty of "non-tacky" larger chains. If this is such a great place for real estate offices, accountants, cafes, clothing and gift shops, why isn't it full to the max? Even before the one month leases were given out The Arcade was in the same boat.

If we're going to call The Arcade "the first enclosed shopping mall" we need to look at what makes any other mall successful. An anchor store. This idea will save it and let it prosper like it should be.

What a horrible idea. The arcade is simply not designed for large corporate stores. Thats not to say that you cant have a chain or two, but there is no need for the building to have an anchor. If anything it would dilute the overall appeal of the space. It isn't incredibly large to begin with and a single anchor wont have nearly as much appeal as a good selection of smaller cafe's, clothing, and gift shops. When I was a teenager (15-20 years ago)I would end up there from time to time and it was always busy with office dwellers from downtown getting a bite to eat, picking up some odds and ends, or just reading a newspaper on a bench. It's also a great spot for small offices like real estate agents or accountants. I hate that granoff is killing a property that they obviously don't understand.

If the whole idea of lots of little stores was working I'm sure that's what they would be doing. Unfortunately, it's not and hasn't been for quite some. There are 3 floors and lots of space in that place. The Arcade has such great display windows on both Westminster and Weybosset and look at them, they have looked hideous as long as I can remember. Not only will a large anchor pick up the pace it could allow it to be open later in the evening and on weekends, plus it will draw more people into the mall to shop at the smaller stores. This not only gives this place more energy, but it actually helps those smaller businesses to succeed. I'm sure there are plenty of "non-tacky" larger chains. If this is such a great place for real estate offices, accountants, cafes, clothing and gift shops, why isn't it full to the max? Even before the one month leases were given out The Arcade was in the same boat.

If we're going to call The Arcade "the first enclosed shopping mall" we need to look at what makes any other mall successful. An anchor store. This idea will save it and let it prosper like it should be.

I agree and have always thought there seems to be absolutely no marketing whatsoever. The appearance is lackluster. The Arcade needs a website to promote itself, at least to speak of its history.

The reason that the smaller shops weren't working was related directly to the management of the building and not to the concept. When was the last time there was any marketing of the Arcade as a whole? What is the public awareness of it? What did Granoff (or previous owners) due to make the space feel alive? The answer is very very little.

20 years ago there where ads for the Arcade on local radio stations. I remember WBRU doing appearences and promotions to bring college kids in. Nowadays I bet the average Brown or Risd student is barely aware that it even exists. I dont think there was any thought being given to pulling in a good tenant mix, and I think there was a lot of behavior to deliberately try and get stores to go out of business (like locking the doors at 5pm on waterfire nights). The concept of a wide variety of small shops, cafe's, and offices didnt work becuase nobody cared, not because it isnt a workable solution.

• 4 weeks later...

A very good friend of mine (in the mayor's office) just informed me that groundbreaking construction is to begin on April 1st for a W Hotel only, but no public announcement has been made.

Could this be an April Fool's Day joke?

My sources tell me there is nothing on the mayor's calendar for April 1st in regards to this project.

And yes, there would not be a ground-breaking as such until official plans are re-approved, assuming they are not going to build a 500 foot W as previously proposed.

I can't guarantee it. It's just what was told to me. I'd like to believe it..but.

boy, I just a hard time believing that, sorry.

Might as well be an announcement that Providence will host the 2020 olympics on April 1st...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I just dont get it.. but why are these projects being affected?? Wouldn't the developer still be able to afford to do all of the projects without tax credits?? Wasn't that program just a "bonus", and wont the developer still make the same amount of money off of the project once finished?

Maybe this isn't the best example.. but thats like when people transfer prescriptions from one pharmacy to another.. sometimes transfer check are involved that are around a $30 dollar value, but you can only get 1 transfer check. When a customer transfers their second prscription and finds out that they cant get another free $30 dollar check.. they say "oh... well I'm going to have to keep this prescription with my other pharmacy"

its like a kick in the face saying.. "oh i was only in it for the $$ incentive and I see no value being here on normal terms"

I guess I just dont get it.. but why are these projects being affected?? Wouldn't the developer still be able to afford to do all of the projects without tax credits?? Wasn't that program just a "bonus", and wont the developer still make the same amount of money off of the project once finished?

Maybe this isn't the best example.. but thats like when people transfer prescriptions from one pharmacy to another.. sometimes transfer check are involved that are around a $30 dollar value, but you can only get 1 transfer check. When a customer transfers their second prscription and finds out that they cant get another free $30 dollar check.. they say "oh... well I'm going to have to keep this prescription with my other pharmacy"

its like a kick in the face saying.. "oh i was only in it for the $$ incentive and I see no value being here on normal terms"

Archived