Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

Yeah, go to the Columbia section and look for the thread called "Richland Mall Redevelopment" and you will see all we know about it. It is a part of the Midtown project, which will transform the mall into an urban village. Its a very cool plan.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And which mall in Easley are you talking about....the one with Belk and Penney's?  Or is there another one which I (apparently) never did notice driving down 123?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it would be the former Foothills Mall. It was an enclosed mall with no major department stores - only Walmart with a mall entrance and Community Cash on the opposite end. There were some local stores in it, but nothing spectacular. Community Cash closed in the late 1980s for all bad reasons. Walmart relocated to its present location on South Pendleton Street in 1992, but they kept their lease for a few more years and had a discount Bud's store there. I think it was 1996-7 when the mall was demolished to make room for the present-day Lowe's, whose previous location is now the present-day Ingle's on 123.

Across the street at Town & Country, J. C. Penney now occupies the space previously used by Belk, which moved into the old Rose's space.

True, but Greenville doesn't have that many high-end clothing stores (Harold's sells men's clothing, too), and that Harold's was really an asset for Greenville Mall; maybe they'll replace it with a karate studio, like the owners did with some other high-end stores there? Talbot's and White House/Black Market are also leaving; the only things left will be an Eddie Bauer, Oshman's and the Finish Line. Sad, sad!

True, but Greenville doesn't have that many high-end clothing stores (Harold's sells men's clothing, too), and that Harold's was really an asset for Greenville Mall; maybe they'll replace it with a karate studio, like the owners did with some other high-end stores there?  Talbot's and White House/Black Market are also leaving; the only things left will be an Eddie Bauer, Oshman's and the Finish Line.  Sad, sad!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are leaving Greenville Mall, but at least not leaving the market. The Shops at Greenridge will be a very successful center.....the village area is turning out very nice. Greenville Mall should have reinvented itself in a "town center" style prior to Greenridge. Greenridge got the jump on them. One thing for sure, the Greenville Mall property is highly valuable and in a prime location. Something great will happen with this property!

Good points about Greenville Mall. I'd really like to talk to the former owners and see why they failed to redevelop it while it still had national tenants and department stores there; it could have been such a nice redevelopment. Now it'd be a lot harder to recruit high-end stores since they have all left or are leaving.

I thought I had heard that Eddie Baur was leaving as well?

Also, any budy remember that store that used to be in the mall, forget what it was called but they sold Deisal Jeans years before they were cool. They got kicked out of the mall for running radio ads that said since the mall was built on a anciant indian burial ground that the mall was haunted by spirits and they were having a sale to appease them.

Anybody remeber that?

What is left at Greenville Mall now? Oshman's, the home store (can't remember the name), an art gallery/frame shop, a pool store, and the Asian-themed jewelry store.

Is Mr. Knickerbocker's still there? What about the Greenville Baseball Card store? Both of those have been longtime Greenville Mall tenants.

I agree with others that the mall will either recover in time or be purchased and torn down in order to build something else. It is a shame, because although the mall is small it is nice. The location is prime, and I think Woodruff Road will continue to develop - especially toward Roper Mountain Road with the Verdae Development on the horizon.

All 3 of those stores were owned by a friend of mine. (Same owner, thus the similarity of product). They went out of business, becuase the styles were too "New York." The mall was actually doing so poorly back then, that they were letting some stores operate there free of rent. Greenville didn't have a market for that fashion then, and I don't believe we're there yet.

btw - if you're looking for deisel jeans, check out SWORN denim on Main Street.

I don't think we are there yet either in terms of ultra high-end, upscale fashion stores. I doubt we are even ready for something like Nordstrom yet, although I think that will come within the next 10 years.

In fact, I believe Charlotte is just now starting to get upscale designer stores, so we are probably not even close to that level yet. Hopefully we will have Versace and Armani stores one day, though. :)

All 3 of those stores were owned by a friend of mine.  (Same owner, thus the similarity of product).  They went out of business, becuase the styles were too "New York."  The mall was actually doing so poorly back then, that they were letting some stores operate there free of rent.  Greenville didn't have a market for that fashion then, and I don't believe we're there yet.

btw - if you're looking for deisel jeans, check out SWORN denim on Main Street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting- I always wondered about Greenville Mall's early days. Too bad about what happened, as those stores seemed really nice. Did your friend just open other businesses? I hope he/she did OK.

So Greenville Mall was a flop from the start, I take it? I talked to some people at Parisian HQ who implied the same thing. What a shame; I really liked that mall, especially in the late 1990s. Too bad not enough people did; I guess it was too high-end for the market.

Indigo Road, 3 Degrees North or Old Man McKittrick's?  Those were all pretty high-end places-- the last two didn't seem to last more than a few months when the mall re-opened in 1995 (that last one's name is pitiful).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not remember the name, it was 3 Degrees North.

Is Mr. Knickerbocker's still there?  What about the Greenville Baseball Card store?  Both of those have been longtime Greenville Mall tenants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr. Knickerbocker's is still there, and remains one of Greenville's best secrets for any merchandise related to Clemson. The baseball card shop went out of business maybe a year ot two ago. There are still some cards and posters on the window, but whoever did not have the time to pack them up.

csedwards, did someone from Harold's say that they were leaving the mall???  The last time I asked they told me that they were in a lease until 2008?  Also, the Crosland website doesn't show them yet.  I hope they do go to Greenridge.  At least they will not be leaving the market.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes; I was shopping at Harold's on Saturday and the people who work there told me. There'll be a cluster of clothing stores there, and Harold's will be there.

I'm glad that the good stores that Greenville Mall brought to town are at least staying in town rather than shutting down completely. I just wish that Parisian would come back!

Yes; I was shopping at Harold's on Saturday and the people who work there told me.  There'll be a cluster of clothing stores there, and Harold's will be there. 

I'm glad that the good stores that Greenville Mall brought to town are at least staying in town rather than shutting down completely.  I just wish that Parisian would come back!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the Parisian? I've heard it mentioned many times. I've never heard of it.

Parisian is a horribly sparse and over-priced department store owned by Saks.  We had a few of them in Orlando when I lived there.

http://www.parisian.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks RT,

A quick jaunt on their wesite yields the fact that Saturday I bought 5 nice golf shirts at Marshall's for less than 1 of theirs. In fact I'm wearing one right now.

Hmmm..... B)

Parisian is a Southern version of Lord & Taylor; both chains have very similar merchandise and brands. It's like a nice Dillard's. I didn't ever find Parisian to be outrageously overpriced or even as ritzy as Nordstrom. Take a Dillard's and get rid of the inexpensive stuff there and you'll end up with a Parisian.

I loved the one at Greenville Mall; I remember being offered drinks while shopping for suits and getting thank-you letters after buying things there. I miss it. I hated that Proffitt's that replaced it.

There are 2 small Parisians in Columbia and a good one, like the old Greenville Mall one, in Charleston.

Seriously,

There is a time and place for good customer service. When buying a suit, you need someone who is attentive. The drinks and thank you cards are an added nice touch.

I used to get that treatment at Jos. A. Bank. (not the drink part) A friend suggested them and I was actually surprised by their customer service. I always thought of them as a "suit outlet" kind of place.

Archived