Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

Aww, Woolco was awesome. :) I remember that store from back in the day. It was one of my favorites.

Did Woolco have standard designs and preferred co-tenants (perhaps chains that Woolco had relationships with) for its malls? Bell Tower looks remarkably similar to Tryon Mall in Charlotte; both had Woolcos and grocery stores as anchors.

Getting back to Greenville Mall- thinking through this thread, I'd say it'll be torn down after all. It's failed twice as an enclosed mall; it kept its anchors but shed its in-line tenants in the late 1980s and early 1990s and then died again. Two strikes and it's out.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if another stable management company had bought the mall from Urban Retail it could have survived. Seems like the REAL decline started after Urban sold it. I think the changing of hands it's gone through over the past 4 or 5 years has hurt it greatly, too. In case anybody's wondering here's what's currently in the mall.

Soothing Toych Massage Therapy

Golden Nails

Styles and Cuts

Regis Hairstylers

April Cornell

Eddie Bauer

Harold's

LA Fashions

MOJO

Nina's

Oriental Jewelry

White House/Black Market

Bath Fitters

Finch Art Gallery

Decorative Mouldings

Palmetto Home and Garden

All About Pool

Greenville Fencing Academy

Mr Knickerbocker

Sports Authority

Finish Line

Tim Bridges Karate

For the Soul, Books & More

Mediastation

Hollywood 20 Cinema

Greenville Symphony Orchestra

Gumball Gourmet

Jessica's Sweet Tooth

Club X Restaurant

Cookies by Design

Oriental Express

Pita Wrap

No, they closed in 2003 or 2004 sometime I believe. They must have packed in a hurry. There are still cards in display cabinets and in the window displays.

BTW, when did Mallory Square change names? It looks like it changed names then closed. It must have been pretty recent because it was Mallory Square in April and it had some new name and was closed as of October.

That tenant list is really sad. Wonder how much rent those stores pay? If the mall was offering free rent to the likes of Eddie Bauer but then charges even low rent to those new stores, etc., perhaps it is more profitable now than before.

If anyone has a lot of time, go to http://www.sec.gov and search for company filings for Deutsche Bank securitizations for the past two years. There might be some info re: Greenville Mall's financials in a prospectus supplement somewhere.

Weren't they giving low/free rent to Eddie B to get them to stay there? The next time I go there I'm going to ask if there's any more news on the two new anchors....Has that been abandoned since the mall has changed hands a few times since July or are they just keeping it quiet? I surely thought we would have heard something by now. I'm dying to know.....But if the new company wants to demolish the mall I can't see anybody opening up there.

Did Woolco have standard designs and preferred co-tenants (perhaps chains that Woolco had relationships with) for its malls? Bell Tower looks remarkably similar to Tryon Mall in Charlotte; both had Woolcos and grocery stores as anchors.

woolco.jpg

Just about every Woolco I've seen was a variation of a standard 115,000 sf box with a central entrance and a garden center/auto center at one end. They were remarkaly consistent, with most of their stores being built from scratch between 1962-1981.

Woolco was part of the old F.W. Woolworth chain, which was still pretty hot at the time, so they had their choice of co-anchors usually. I'm not sure about Tryon Mall or Bell Tower Mall specifically, but it was a safe bet you'd find a Woolco next to the dominant grocery store in town, usually in a small enclosed mall of some sort.

Weren't they giving low/free rent to Eddie B to get them to stay there? The next time I go there I'm going to ask if there's any more news on the two new anchors....Has that been abandoned since the mall has changed hands a few times since July or are they just keeping it quiet? I surely thought we would have heard something by now. I'm dying to know.....But if the new company wants to demolish the mall I can't see anybody opening up there.

When Eddie Bauer filed Chapter 11/13 or whatever reorganization is, they had to close a lot of their stores. The funny thing is Greenville Mall was one of their more profitable stores :rofl: Everything they took in was profit except payroll of course. I don't think they've ever had to pay rent. Now that the company is better financially they think it would benefit them to move to Haywood. I think they are supposed to be over there by April...

I don't think Eddie Bauer will be competitive at Haywood, but perhaps that is based on the fact that there never seem to be many people in the store at their current location. And perhaps that is because there aren't many people who visit that mall. :lol:

Eddie Bauer's latest store prototype is pretty slick. I think they'll do alright at Haywood.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine knows someone that works at GM and they say Burlington Coat Factory is looking at moving to Greenville Mall. Given that the lease is almost up at the current location I can see it happening. Typical dead mall anchor! I'd rather them stay on Laurens Rd though, like I said in another thread the traffic getting in and out of the mall/plaza is a joke! I don't see where they would move to, because Dillard's and Wards are both pretty big buildings if I can recall. That would co-exist well with Bass Pro Shops if they had moved there (which I doubt even more.)

Any opinions??

A friend of mine knows someone that works at GM and they say Burlington Coat Factory is looking at moving to Greenville Mall. Given that the lease is almost up at the current location I can see it happening. Typical dead mall anchor! I'd rather them stay on Laurens Rd though, like I said in another thread the traffic getting in and out of the mall/plaza is a joke! I don't see where they would move to, because Dillard's and Wards are both pretty big buildings if I can recall. That would co-exist well with Bass Pro Shops if they had moved there (which I doubt even more.)

Any opinions??

no! no! no!

Having that great mall die out was bad enough- having it die out and be resurrected with stores like that is even worse! Maybe Burlington Coat Factory could go to the former Belk's at McAlister Square; that dead mall was at least more of a BFC-type place in its dying days.

A friend of mine knows someone that works at GM and they say Burlington Coat Factory is looking at moving to Greenville Mall. Given that the lease is almost up at the current location I can see it happening.

Could BCF be looking at The Plaza at Greenville Mall instead? I think there is some room next to CompUSA available.

That would co-exist well with Bass Pro Shops if they had moved there (which I doubt even more.)

It is all but official that Bass Pro Shop is coming to Greenville Mall. I had stopped by their store in Concord Mills this weekend to look at some clothes. A manager confirmed plans for a Greenville area store, but are witholding making a formal announcement once the sale of Greenville Mall has been finalized for weeks.

It is all but official that Bass Pro Shop is coming to Greenville Mall. I had stopped by their store in Concord Mills this weekend to look at some clothes. A manager confirmed plans for a Greenville area store, but are witholding making a formal announcement once the sale of Greenville Mall has been finalized for weeks.

WOW. That's some pretty hefty news there, BoDragon! Thanks for the skinny!

Do you guys think Bass Pro Shops would be a catalyst that could revive the mall? Or would another good anchor or two be needed for that?

Go to deadmalls.com and there is an interesting article re: Savannah (GA) Mall, which seemed to have been like the Greenville Mall of its area, even with mostly the same anchors and same death. Now it's been revived with a bunch of mid-market and big-box anchors. Maybe that will be Greenville Mall's fate or hope, depending on how you see it.

Archived