Greenville Mall

motonenterprises

A week or so ago I saw a few cars parked at the front entrance of the Dillard's and the lights were on inside. I was assuming that someone was maybe looking at that building because I've seen people parked in front of there a few times since maybe July....Any word on the two new anchors that we heard about a few months back? I love going to the Greenville Mall because it's a nice, quiet place to walk around and get your thoughts together.

On a side note, when did All About Pool open? What did it replace? I moved back to the area in 2004 and I don't remember it ever being there before. I moved away in 2001.

This is an interesting thread and I've enjoyed reading what everybody has to say about GM.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, when did All About Pool open? What did it replace? I moved back to the area in 2004 and I don't remember it ever being there before. I moved away in 2001.

If it's the dark-wood storefront near the former JBWhite/Dillard's, it replaced Three Degrees North, a clothing store that closed, and then I think that there was an EF Merrell furniture store there.

If it's the stucco storefront with a triangular (?) top, it replaced Post Script, a mom and pop card and gift shop that had been there since 1978.

Sad thing is that people talk about downtown's renaissance, but I noticed some stores there similar to the pool place-- one is a bar equipment store near the Peace Center. So what's sad for a mall is considered good for downtown.

I would absolutely love for Greenville to have a Costco, but there is no way that Sam's, BJ's, and Costco could all remain in their present locations (or in business). That would be crazy for three wholesalers to be so close together on the same road.

I actually hope it's not true, although I would love to have a Costco.

I would absolutely love for Greenville to have a Costco, but there is no way that Sam's, BJ's, and Costco could all remain in their present locations (or in business). That would be crazy for three wholesalers to be so close together on the same road.

I actually hope it's not true, although I would love to have a Costco.

don't remember if it was this thread or another one where costco was being discussed - but someone needs to look at the Wade Hampton/Cherrydale area for a wholesaler. I'd be willing to be that they would go quite well. They would probably draw Greer, Taylors, TR in depending upon location. And I know lots of people (myself included) who would prefer to avoid the Woodruff Rd area if possible.

Just wondering, does anyone have a complete list of stores that opened with Greenville Mall in 1995? Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to visit the mall until 1997.

So nobody knows any more about the two new anchors we heard about in July?

Only differences from '97:

Harold's, EF Merrell/Drexel Heritage, Storehouse Furniture, Eddie Bauer, April Cornell, Shoe Sensation and Sharon Luggage didn't open until a year or so (maybe less) after the mall opened.

Parisian was a lot nicer when it first opened; the merchandise got downgraded somewhat later on.

2 clothing stores- Old Man McKittrick's (where the Audobon Shop (sic) later was) and Three Degrees North (where that pool place now is)- opened when the mall opened but later closed. The sit-down restaurants next to the food court and across from Harold's that were there when the mall opened closed. There was also an arcade in the food court- Pocket Change? Also, there was a bookstore near Harold's- the Intimate Bookshop. It also had stores in Charlotte at SouthPark and a few other places.

The movie theater and strip mall weren't built until 1997 or later.

I obviously spent way too much time at Greenville Mall. It was such a nice mall, though- much nicer than McAlister and Haywood. It's a shame that McAlister went under, too; it was convenient and was attractive, although it thrived for ages until it finally shut down.

Although most times they're not as close together as what's proposed, warehouse clubs do pretty well next door to one another, kind of like Home Depot and Lowes being next door to one-another. There's very little canibalization, and actrually it drives more business to all of the stores because of the critical mass.

One factor that saves them is that all three warehouse clubs are membership-based. Most people are mmebers of one or two, but not three. That helps carve out niches for each retailer.

Parisian

J B White

Montgomery Ward

Oshman's Supersports

Indigo Road

Old Man McKitrick's

3 Degrees North

Giorgio

Susan Lee

Bourban Street Candy Company

Crabtree & Evelyn

GNC Livewell

Mr. Knickerbocker's

Gregory's Formalwear

Rey's Jeweler's

Finish Line

Regis Salon

Cafe Espresso @ Parisian

Talbot's

Sharon Luggage

April Cornell

Purple Magnolia

Greenville Baseball Card Shop

Sunglass Hut

Post Script

Wiliams-Sonoma

Mole Hole

Storehouse Furniture

Camelot Music

Eddie Bauer (later)

E F Merrel/Drexel Heritage

Fresco Seafood Market

Harold's

White House/Black Market

large book store (can't remember the name)

nail salon

Penn's Art Gallery

Hairmasters

I think that is most of them...could have left out a few...

Parisian

J B White

Montgomery Ward

Oshman's Supersports

Indigo Road

Old Man McKitrick's

3 Degrees North

Giorgio

Susan Lee

Bourban Street Candy Company

Crabtree & Evelyn

GNC Livewell

Mr. Knickerbocker's

Gregory's Formalwear

Rey's Jeweler's

Finish Line

Regis Salon

Cafe Espresso @ Parisian

Talbot's

Sharon Luggage

April Cornell

Purple Magnolia

Greenville Baseball Card Shop

Sunglass Hut

Post Script

Wiliams-Sonoma

Mole Hole

Storehouse Furniture

Camelot Music

Eddie Bauer (later)

E F Merrel/Drexel Heritage

Fresco Seafood Market

Harold's

White House/Black Market

large book store (can't remember the name)

nail salon

Penn's Art Gallery

Hairmasters

I think that is most of them...could have left out a few...

That's a really good memory.

Does anyone recall what was in Bell Tower Mall? Don't mean to keep bringing it up, but my only memories of that mall are when it was in a death spiral- I'd be curious to know more about its heyday (which was probably really only a day!). Thanks.

Thanks everybody. That brought back some memories....If I were the Greenville Mall management, I would make it similar to the Cincinnati Mills mall, formerly Forest Fair Mall in Cincinnati, OH. Have mostly outlet and specialty stores with maybe some regular stores. Wasn't that what we were told may be done earlier this month? I sure would hate to see that mall torn down.

Thanks everybody. That brought back some memories....If I were the Greenville Mall management, I would make it similar to the Cincinnati Mills mall, formerly Forest Fair Mall in Cincinnati, OH. Have mostly outlet and specialty stores with maybe some regular stores. Wasn't that what we were told may be done earlier this month? I sure would hate to see that mall torn down.

Concord Mills near Charlotte is owned by the same company. That mall is always packed and has some pretty good outlets and regular stores. That would work well, hopefully, and maybe it's that sad center's only option.

That's a really good memory.

Does anyone recall what was in Bell Tower Mall? Don't mean to keep bringing it up, but my only memories of that mall are when it was in a death spiral- I'd be curious to know more about its heyday (which was probably really only a day!). Thanks.

The Bell Tower Mall on University Ridge opened around 1969-70 and was anchored by a department store called Woolco. It also had a cinema. Woolco was a take-off on K-Mart but was nothing too special. I don't think Bell Tower really had a chance because there was not enough room for other commercial developments to sprout up around it.

The Bell Tower Mall on University Ridge opened around 1969-70 and was anchored by a department store called Woolco. It also had a cinema. Woolco was a take-off on K-Mart but was nothing too special. I don't think Bell Tower really had a chance because there was not enough room for other commercial developments to sprout up around it.

Thanks. Any memories about the in-line tenants? I remember walking through it in the early 80s and all there was was a laundromat, a Baskin-Robbins, a BJ Music and Woolco, with the mall entrance closed. PITIFUL!

Concord Mills near Charlotte is owned by the same company. That mall is always packed and has some pretty good outlets and regular stores. That would work well, hopefully, and maybe it's that sad center's only option.

Maybe the new company will take lessons from all of the Mills properties and make it in to an outlet/specialty mall. As you said, that's about the only option left for that property in general.

On a side note, has anybody eaten at the Pita Wrap? It's pretty good. They probably did some arm-pulling to get them to open there.

No way they would put outlet stores at the current Greenville Mall site. Outlet malls like Concord, Commerce, and Gaffney are purposely away from cities. Otherwise, there would be too much competition. Just think if there were a Gap outlet a few miles away from their main location at Haywood Mall. That philosophy wouldn't work, and would totally screw up Greenville's retail market.

I would prefer to see the Greenville Mall torn town and replaced with residential units. I don't think we need anymore retail on that stretch of Woodruff right now, unless it's something unique to the market that the metro can support.

No way they would put outlet stores at the current Greenville Mall site. Outlet malls like Concord, Commerce, and Gaffney are purposely away from cities. Otherwise, there would be too much competition. Just think if there were a Gap outlet a few miles away from their main location at Haywood Mall. That philosophy wouldn't work, and would totally screw up Greenville's retail market.

I would prefer to see the Greenville Mall torn town and replaced with residential units. I don't think we need anymore retail on that stretch of Woodruff right now, unless it's something unique to the market that the metro can support.

Agreed but Mills Corp. malls have some big-box tenants, some outlets and some regular stores. Greenville Mall has maybe 1/2 the square footage of Concord Mills; maybe it could have 1/2 of its stores (e.g., Off 5th, TJ Maxx and More, Bass Pro Shops, etc.)?http://www.concordmills.com/static/node356...id=adrxal42U_Dd is the link to the property.

The Mills Corp. has apparently resurrected (or is in the process of resurrecting) some other malls that died, such as Columbus City Center. Deadmalls.com also has a story about Savannah Mall, which had most of the same anchors as Greenville Mall and that also died at the hands of a mid-market mall. It seems to have been resurrected with big-box tenants and in-line stores. Maybe Greenville Mall could live again that way.

I know that in business you are supposed to look at a property's future return potential, not how much has been invested in a money-losing property, but Greenville Mall is so nice I hate to see it be torn down.

I'd give anything for it to become something like Concord Mills....That'd be so neat.

I think that it would work...Have mainly outlets and unique specialty shops. There are enough stores that don't really overlap with Haywood to fill it up. When I think of my beloved Greenville Mall being torn down for some "lifestyle center" it makes me SICK! :sick:

And if you read the history for Cincinnati Mills/Forest Fair Mall, it's had many of the problems Greenville Mall had.

Archived