Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post Super Bowl momentum for DT

This reminded me of the "Where Florida Begins" marketing effort. The campaign was designed and produced but the city wouldn't execute it because it didn't want to spend the money.

If Jax is going to spend millions to host the SB, why not spend a little more to maximize the benefit. The SB really gave the entire city a preview of what DT COULD be all the time. It is a shame to not build on that momentum as much as possible. Hopefully, the private sector will come forward as the editorial suggests.

Kudos to Tony for doing making it successful even without a sufficient budget.

After watching the news last night we have been carrying a sense of dread and general dispair around with us all day. What is wrong with our government and why haven't they helped these people who are in need of so much? We were riding around the Stadium Distric today taking pictures of the proposed St. Johns Point site and the newly painted dumpsters at Alltell when we came across a brilliant humanitarian effort by the citizens of Jacksonville. Here are some photos we took:

http://urbanjacksonville.blogspot.com/2005...cksonville.html

Post Super Bowl momentum for DT

This reminded me of the "Where Florida Begins" marketing effort.  The campaign was designed and produced but the city wouldn't execute it because it didn't want to spend the money. 

If Jax is going to spend millions to host the SB, why not spend a little more to maximize the benefit.  The SB really gave the entire city a preview of what DT COULD be all the time.  It is a shame to not build on that momentum as much as possible.  Hopefully, the private sector will come forward as the editorial suggests.

Kudos to Tony for doing making it successful even without a sufficient budget.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a couple problems with todays editorial in the Florida Times Union. You'll see my response in the letters to the editor. Basically, people need to come downtown and have their own experiences. Most experiences will be less crowded than Super Bowl, but no less enjoyable. They'll be less expensive, and far less logistically challenged.

We can't throw street parties if there is no long term benefit to the block. We just had the worlds best lesson in that.

We need to get blocked roads and port-o-potties off our mind and support what we have; which is the Mighty St. Johns, great little urban oasises (?), great architecture, and a deep cultural pool of creative people.

And I would prefer that anyone who writes about Take Me to the River actually has some experience with Take Me to the River. Its every Saturday, so if you know you're going opine on it, lets at least take it in.

Although all these new palm trees dont provide much shade, they can be planted as full grown trees and their roots will not destroy the sidewalk. I'm guessing those are some factors the city thought about? Or does Peyton have a friend that owns a palm tree farm?

Mortgage firm targets downtown

Macuarie Mortgages USA is considering moving their national headquarters to downtown depending on if they are granted a $300k incentive package. If approved, Macquarie would relocate to Jax, from Memphis, and hire 50 employees at an average annual wage of $48,500. Other cities bidding for the company include Richmond, Charlotte, Tampa & Orlando.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43645

Lake: I was just about to post the same article. :)

I think this is great news considering it will raise Jacksonville's per capita income and will take up empty space downtown. The CEO said it was a done deal - it sounded like he wants to move to Jacksonville for the quality of life as much as for the business. I also like how we are creating a critical mass of mortgage companies and servicers in Jacksonville. If we cant have the banks, this is the next best thing.

Found this info on website for a DT condo in Charlotte. The source is a May 2005 article in the Charlotte Observer. Thought it would be good comparative for Jax. I was a little surprised that Nashville and Tampa aren't higher. Anyone know what the curent figures for Jax are?

Charlotte has about 9,700 uptown residents. How do other cities compare? Take a look:

• Seattle: 35,000 downtown residents, expected to reach 50,000 by 2014.

• St. Louis: 9,600 downtowners; 800 housing units under construction.

• Baltimore: 8,100 downtowners, expected to hit 10,000 by 2007.

• Pittsburgh: 3,200 living downtown; 600 or more housing units under construction.

• Raleigh: 2,500 living downtown; 500 or more housing units are planned or under construction.

• Nashville: 2,400 downtowners; 600 or more housing units being built.

• Tampa: 400 downtowners; 5,000 or more housing units planned or under construction.

^Its hard to compare CBDs this way, without knowing the boundaries that each city claims as their downtown area. For example, I believe Charlotte's Uptown, is considered everything inside the freeway loop, while Tampa's leaves out the Channel District and University of Tampa's campus on the west bank of the Hillsborough River.

^what is considered the CBD? Is Brooklyn and the Cathedral Districts included?

Btw, it looks like Bay Street will finally get another nightclub. To bad Eclate couldn't make it.

Renovations for TSI, 333 E. Bay St. between Liberty and Main streets, 3,578 square feet, $20,000; contractor is DBR & Associates Inc.; agent is Mike Bassford, president; owner is Liberty-Bay Inc.; architect is Junck & Walker Architects; includes improved bar area and pool tables.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19779590.shtml

Archived