Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

Boomtown Theater moving to Hemming Plaza, Improv Jacksonville headed to Landing

According to its owner, Boomtown Theater will be relocating from Springfield to Improv's spot on Hemming Plaza. Improv, in return, will relocate to the Landing.

stephen dare said...

well boomtown proper isnt returning to main in any present discussion. thats subject to change naturally....just looking for a realistic deal.

john and I ARE working on the 8th street spaces that we actually own.

a really hip hookah lounge and french bakery/patisserrie is what were presently discussing.....

thanks for the compliments lakelander!

on the matter of us and improv jacksonville>

we bought them out last week and they are taking the purchase money and moving to the landing, where they will set up shop there.

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=13...718180279462789

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of relocating all the city offices to the Hemming Plaza area. But it makes me wonder, with all the government buildings fronting Hemming, will entertainment places like Boomtown fit? Especially at night time, when most of the buildings in that area are closed... Regardless, it's a successful area, just not that much retail oriented.

That's why I'm hoping Haverty's gets some retail going. Along with the Park Place building, the Mian Library, Ed Ball, and JMOMA, some Havertys retail would help build a successful, concentrated urban area.

Thanks for the heads-up. That offers a lot of neat views I've never been able to see before. One of the arena parking garages looks almost done. I wonder if they'll open it up for Jags games this season?

It's a shame that something as interactive as that, couldn't have been higher up, like the news4jax weathercam. Then maybe there wouldn't be a big pole blocking the view of the CBD!

I really like their pre-set view of the main street bridge, with the Berkman townhomes framed underneath.

I took some pictures of downtown jacksonville today and I'm trying to post them up here on Urbanplanet.org but I'm not really sure how. I had it saved on my MS from the camera and then copied over to my desktop as an image file. I don't see a link on the topic/reply sections to post up a pic or whatsoever. How do I go about posting my pictures of downtown jacksonville that I took? Somebody please help me b/c I don't see how to do so? Thanks.

No more City money for Southbank

In a move that shouldn't be suprising to anyone, the days of getting city money to build residential projects on the Southbank are officially over. Also, the article mentions there are 2,050 residential units under construction or planned in the Southbank and current development rights will only allow 210 more.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43713

2050 and only 210 more allowed? Now that can't be right?

RiverWalk is at least 1,000

Jea site is at least 1,000

There are still 6 other towers U/C or planned for another 1,000+. I'm estimating nearly 4,000 all combined. They will definetly need the state exemptions for more development rights.

2050 and only 210 more allowed? Now that can't be right?

Yes, something is off. Here's my un-official Southbank count

Recently Completed - 12 units

1. Home Street Lofts - 12 units

Under Construction - 670 units

2. The Strand - 234 units

3. The Peninsula - 295 units

4. San Marco Place - 141 units

Proposed - 3,050 units

5. San Marco Riverwalk - 1,500 units

6. Riverpointe (total) - 550 units

7. Southside Generation Station - (at least 1,000 units)

8. Kings Avenue Station - (S. of I-95/considered San Marco)

That adds up to a grand total of 3,732 residential units or nearly 7,500 residents.

I just wanted to post a question regarding the construction of The Peninsula. I know that the groundbreaking for it is on October 27th. What does the term "groundbreaking" actually mean? I know that they've already started the foundation construction on this building, so what does this "groundbreaking" term mean? Does the term mean that's when they're putting up the high-rise crane for its construction? Is this when there's actually a wall being built for the actual building and not just the foundation? Could someone please explain what does this term actually means? Thanks.

It's the the "ceremonial" start of construction where you see the big wigs with their golden shovel moving the "first" pile of dirt. It really means very little in regards to the actual commencement of construction as you've seen. Typically a lot of work goes into preparing the site before the suits come to take some pretty pictures of eachother with the golden shovel. The next event is the ribbon cutting after the building is finished!! Its all for the press.

Archived