Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, how do you guys post pictures in the forum?

I tried doing it through a "new reply," but where it says to "insert image", a pop-up shows asking "URL"... where's the option where you can just insert a file image from your desktop or whatever instead of a URL or is there some other way to do it?

I took some pictures of the southbank area today near the construction of The Strand, The Peninsula, and SMP of which I would like to post on the website just to show the construction progress in addition to some scenes of the NB's skyline.

I too suggest www.photobucket.com to host your images for you but if you prefer to use them directly from your computer, you can add them as an attachment. When you do a reply (not just a quick reply), scroll below the text box and you should have a "File Attachments" option. Add your images there if you prefer not to use a photobucket account.

Copper Cellar Grille & Brewery to replace Southend Brewery

Southend, which is co-owned by Kerry Williams and Garrett Luebker, closed in July for what was supposed to be two months worth of renovations. The reopening may be later than expected, but the restaurant will open with a new look and name. The Jacksonville Landing restaurant will now be known as Copper Cellar Grille & Brewery and focus on a higher-end clientele and wine aficionados.

A soft opening will coincide with the annual Florida-Georgia college football game on Oct. 29.

Full article

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43806

Laura Trio construction starts

3a.png

Wednesday, Realco Recycling began interior demolition of the Bisbee Building. The Police and Fire Pension Fund owns the buildings, which include the Marble Bank and Florida Life buildings. The Fund plans to renovate the historic structures into a mixed-use complex with offices and retail space.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43807

It's good to see cranes at this site, although these buildings are a long way from being safe from the wrecking ball.

I assume that the vacant lot (SE corner of Adams & Laura) that the crane is on, is part of the Pension Fund's holdings. The Signet plan was to put a pocket park there. I wonder if that is what the Pension Fund will propose, or would they build on the site after the FL Life building is completed.

The Fund already owned the vacant lot on the corner, of Adams & Laura, as well as the surface lot, between the Bisbee Building and the parking garage on Forsyth. With the purchase of the Center Theater parcel, they now have a perfect square parcel, stretching from Laura Street to the Lerner Shops building.

Personally, I think a pocket park or a little plaza space would be good for the corner, but I don't think it needs to take up the whole parcel, like the one near Florida Theater does. I would love to see a building go on the site, with a setback, that would allow space for outdoor dining, but I'd be fine with a good sized parking garage (with street retail, of course) that could serve the needs of the Trio, as well as the Barnett & Greenleaf Buildings.

According to the Urban Jacksonville Blog site they're doing site remediation. I'm not sure if its connected with the condo project or not.

It's good to see cranes at this site, although these buildings are a long way from being safe from the wrecking ball.

I'm just happy to see that the work being done, will help stop or at least slow the rapid pace of decay that they've had to endure over the last couple of years.

Personally, downtown def. needs more parking, especially if they want to attract more patrons for any purpose. However, that site is in the MIDDLE of downtown and it would be awesome if there were another ten or so floor building with ground floor retail. That would create a very urban little spot with a lot of stuff going on. The new law that parking garages in downtown HAVE to have a certain amount of space for retail in them is ridiculous though because what developer of garages is going to want to go through the process of either wasting space or trying to find tenants for their parking garage. A garage is a garage. Notice how other garages that try to have commercial space as well cannot seem to find tenants at all. The site at Laura and Adams needs to either be garage or building, but not both unless the garage is underground (that'd be VERY nice).

I disagree. I'd rather see the corner become a pocket park instead of a garage. Whatever goes on that corner needs to be a building or a combination of both. Under NO circumstances should a parking garage with no street retail, be allowed at the corner of Adams & Laura, both of which are major downtown retail oriented streets.

We have to keep in mind that this site is a very different animal than the recently built Carling, Library and Sports District parking garages. All of those are built on secondary streets. It has more in common with the garage on Forysth that has a Kinko's and various restaurants at street level.

Lake: I think a pocket park would be of little use there. Hardly anyone uses the existing pocket parks now and a WELL DESIGNED garage which does not look like a garage and has ground floor retail would bring in more people in my opinion, which is what downtown really needs. I agree that parking is a somewhat exagerrated problem downtown, but the tenants of the Trio will need parking and this would provide it (along with additional retail space for the Adams St corridor. A pocket park there, on the other hand, would just be dead space like a vacant lot in my opinion.

My vision of a pocket park is a little different from the city's. Mine is more of a courtyard or enlarged sidewalk that allows for special social activities and outdoor dining to take place. The courtyard area in front of the Riverside Starbucks and Ocean Square's planned courtyard are along the same line. Here's some examples.

quincymarket3iv.jpg

houstonstreet7vp.jpg

Well two more historic buildings are going down, at the corner of Adams and Broad. I guess they want to expand their surface parking lot.

Demolition of one- and two-story building near vacant lot, 135 Broad St. between Houston and West Adams streets, two stories totaling 7,875 square feet, $55,000; contractor is Burkhalter Wrecking Inc.; agent is James Holt, vice president of development and finance of The Clarkson Co.; owner is Broad Street Investors Ltd.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._20032031.shtml

Archived