Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

I was just wondering if anyone knew any information regarding the development of the Southbank JEA land that was purchased a few months ago from a beaches developer? With people saying that the 9-story hotel of the proposed San Marco Riverwalk supposedly breaking ground later this fall, I was thinking as to the JEA land development and its status? I remember from reading the article proceeding the purchase, that it was several towers probably no higher than 15+ floors and wondered if they might change that instead and build 30+ floor towers which I think would definitely enhance our downtown's skyline significantly. Just imagine when the St. John's Project, San Marco Riverwalk, Berkman II, "Riverpointe" I, and hopefully with tall towers on the JEA site how our skyline will rival the other major cities of Florida.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just wondering if anyone knew any information regarding the development of the Southbank JEA land that was purchased a few months ago from a beaches developer? With people saying that the 9-story hotel of the proposed San Marco Riverwalk supposedly breaking ground later this fall, I was thinking as to the JEA land development and its status? I remember from reading the article proceeding the purchase, that it was several towers probably no higher than 15+ floors and wondered if they might change that instead and build 30+ floor towers which I think would definitely enhance our downtown's skyline significantly. Just imagine when the St. John's Project, San Marco Riverwalk, Berkman II, "Riverpointe" I, and hopefully with tall towers on the JEA site how our skyline will rival the other major cities of Florida.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rival and/or even surpass other major Florida cities!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I'm all for letting everyone send letters to the editor, but this just mde me laugh!

NEW MAIN LIBRARY

Put courthouse in building

Like the majority of people, I supported the construction of a new downtown library under the Better Jacksonville Plan. But, my opinion has changed, along with the city's budget.

I no longer see the value of a huge new library complex downtown if it means that my neighborhood library will have reduced hours. The Beaches library is a comfortable place to read newspapers less than a mile from my home.

The Internet access is also enjoyed by hoards of children and adults who probably can't or won't commute to a downtown library.

So, I have a proposal. Why not offer the massive new downtown library to the judiciary as its new courthouse. It would save us the burden of new construction and also provide funds to keep our convenient neighborhood libraries open and accessible where they are most appreciated.

ALAN JUDD, Neptune Beach

No problem, right?

Shouldn't they have some form of quality assurance that ensures writers won't make an absolute fool of themselves?

Publishing that was a very cruel joke.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They should at least have left his name off. :rofl:

Yes....how dare that Neptune Beach resident have to DRIVE all the way downtown to enjoy the new library. It would be sooooo convenient to use his Beach library. And throw the main library to the judicial system.

If only he were in office, lol....

Oh, and this "solution" would kill two birds with one stone! With no new main library, we would be stuck with the Haydon Burns location for many decades! Now we wouldn't have to hear from preservationists and chocolate factories and Atkins would do the smart thing and just give up on trying to develop urban projects in this town!

Brilliant!!

^ I seem to recall that the actual editorials on urban planning and development used to be that bad on a regular basis - before the old op/ed guy resigned last year. For example, Saturday's pro-JTA bus editorial would have NEVER been published under the old editorial regime.

Here's a gem from 2002 (remember, this isn't a letter, but an actual TU editorial position:

"The anti-growth, anti-automobile crowd wants high density, to support mass transit. But crowding residents into urban areas can create mega-messes such as Sao Paulo, Brazil, or Mexico City.

Smart developers are building low-density, high-quality communities in undeveloped areas such as Nocatee on the Jacksonville-St. Johns County border, and Harmony, south of Orlando.

Such developments conserve the best of Florida, making them attractive communities without harming the environment." (emphasis added)

^ I seem to recall that the actual editorials on urban planning and development used to be that bad on a regular basis - before the old op/ed guy resigned last year. For example, Saturday's pro-JTA bus editorial would have NEVER been published under the old editorial regime.

Here's a gem from 2002 (remember, this isn't a letter, but an actual TU editorial position:

"The anti-growth, anti-automobile crowd wants high density, to support mass transit. But crowding residents into urban areas can create mega-messes such as Sao Paulo, Brazil, or Mexico City.

Smart developers are building low-density, high-quality communities in undeveloped areas such as Nocatee on the Jacksonville-St. Johns County border, and Harmony, south of Orlando.

Such developments conserve the best of Florida, making them attractive communities without harming the environment." (emphasis added)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely hilarious. The bad thing is that many people actually believe this.

That is a scary quote from the T-U. We had to destroy the forest in order to save it, I guess. I think it is better to either live in the city or live in the country. I hate this halfway stuff, i.e. living on 2 acres of land in a "nature preserve". This development really eats up land for no reason.

oh oh oh...

And then,

if they decide not to use the newy built LIBRARY for our as of yet unbuilt COURTHOUSE.... they can tear that building down, and put up a nice surface lot pay-n-park for the Hayden Library...

I think that would be lovely...

<twitch>

<twitch>

Looks like signage is finally being installed at the downtown Hyatt. I glanced out the apartment window this morning and saw big new signs littering the lawn around the building and groups of people on the roof prepping for their installation.

I'd say if not by the end of the day then definitely tomorrow. Signs usually go up quickly downtown (as witnessed by the SunTrust switch a few months ago).

Bye bye banners. :D

Smaller scale than many current projects and not a full renovation but none the less acceptable.

We keep this up and our office vacancy rate will plummet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, I hadn't even thought of that. That is a positive as well.

Doing the math, these units will average 1400 sq. ft each. Very impressive considering that 11E. and The Carling have units under 600 sq. ft. Of course, being lofts, the useable square footage may be lower since there might be open space on the second levels. I also like that is will be apartments, since so many projects either have or will convert to condos eventually (11 ., Carling, Berkman, possibly the Strand). This will also be one of the farthest residential projects from the river. It will be really interesting to see what the rental rates will be, and how quickly it fills up.

Also, it sounds like the work will start very soon. And this only recently hit the media. That is certainly a refreshing change.

Archived