Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by the current height of the Strand at 9 floors, I think it is likely that the Peninsula will surpass the Riverplace Tower in height and may be in the mid 400s in terms of feet tall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Peninsula will reign supreme when finished as the tallest tower on the Southbank and the new #3 in Jax. I am attaching a picture of the peninsula, though computer imaged, to give an idea of its size and tallness when complete.

newestrelease.jpg

QUITE IMPRESSIVE DON'T YOU THINK?

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I totally agree on downtown needing some local coffee houses that stay open late. Coming from Tallahassee where everything was open all night (or until at least 2am), I have found that locating a cup of coffee at 10pm in Jacksonville is pretty much impossible. I'm the type of person who would much rather go to a coffee house and sit and meet people until 1am than go to a bar, but that kind of scene is so hard to find here. Everyone always talks about how great Fuel is, but I checked it out and to me it was kind of a dump (in a non charming way), and it smelled like an old pool hall. If that new Shelby's stays open until at least midnight during the week, it will be my new favorite place.

Does anyone know what's the status of that one building that was proposed a few months ago on the Northbank? It was a "condo building" I believe that was perhaps 10 floors with traditional red brick exterior along with palm tress at the top of the building. I believe it's on main street but I don't remember the exact place or name of the building although it was approved by the JEDC, DRC and all the other organizations without a problem.

This is all you need to know, from the original article.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18062753.shtml

According to the Duval County Clerk's office, the Bahris bought the vacant land for $350,000 in October. They plan to build 73 one-bedroom and two-bedroom units, which would be marketed in the $300,000s.

Carla Bahri said her company, Main Street Development Corp., would likely approach the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission about city incentive options.

"For now, everything is still in the works," said Bahri.

The company does not yet have a construction timeline, she said.

There's a steady stream of projects waiting for incentives. This tells me that it will be a while before we see this thing get moving.

I posted instructions on accessing the COJ public record emails on my weblog. It is a very fascinating insight into our city government. I hope the moderator is ok with me posting a link to my site. If not I can copy the instructions directly to the message board.

http://urbanjacksonville.blogspot.com/2005...lle-how-to.html

I've been looking through some of the email sent to Peyton. There are a lot of letters urging him to not allow the demolition of the "historic" Haydon Burns Library. Why is everyone considering this building to be historic? Is it designated as such? I like how all these opinions come from the beaches and other areas like that. Some of these people probably never even come downtown. They should just report on the news that it is being saved and then tear it down. Who would know the difference?

Or just do what they did in Orlando, with Premiere Plaza, and tear down the building in the middle of the night. Seriously, though everyone here who truly is interested in seeing downtown become a vibrant place once again, should take a little time out of their schedule and write letters in support of the Atkins project.

They should just report on the news that it is being saved and then tear it down. Who would know the difference?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! That's a great idea. I bet they wouldn't know any better if we showed them a picture with "Accustaff" or "INDEPENDENT LIFE" on the modis tower or if we told them that NationsBank doesn't occupy that big blue building.

I've been looking through some of the email sent to Peyton. There are a lot of letters urging him to not allow the demolition of the "historic" Haydon Burns Library.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed that too. In retaliation, I sent him my letters of Atkins support that I posted in here a few weeks ago. I'm hoping it will inspire him some.

JEDC hopes parking spurs Bay Street

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

After all the talk about restaurants, bars and galleries, it might be parking that gets the Bay Street Towncenter moving.

The Jacksonville Economic Development Commission is in talks with Churchwell Building owner Robert Pavelka over his use of a yet-to-be-built, 38-space

parking lot on Market Street. A lack of parking stands as one of the last hurdles to Pavelka

^I've mentioned (probably in 3 ore more threads, lol) how I wish the Skyway would be extended down Bay Street (a station could be built where our old courthouse sits; and will sit for a long time) and incorporated into the Shipyards project and end at the sports complex.

Ha, like that would ever happen.....

You're right. It won't ever happen, because all of our politicans are very anti-skyway. Never mind that the entire Skyway project cost less than most of these stupid overpasses and freeway interchanges.

But even if a skyway extension did happen, how exactly would it get to the sports complex? The Hart bridge expressway crosses at Bay & A. Philip Randolph. I don't think the skyway could go under it, and it would seem prohibitively expensive to bridge the skyway over it.

I've mentioned (probably in 3 or more threads, lol) how I wish the Skyway would be extended down Bay Street (a station could be built where our old courthouse sits; and will sit for a long time) and incorporated into the Shipyards project and end at the sports complex.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Skyway track is designed to be extended down Bay street; there is a section of track at the intersection of Bay and Hogan that seems set aside for future expansion. It would be great if they could continue this at least to Berkman. Either of the surface parking lots at the corner of Main and Ocean would make a great location for an elevated station. Even better would be a loop down Bay street, across Liberty street, and then up Union street to tie in with the FCCJ station. But I guess the only way to see that built is to dust off the old copy of SimCity that's been hiding in the computer desk.

However, I do think the Skyway project will soon become much more popular given the boom in residential construction on the Southbank. Kudos to whoever designed the extension over the Acosta bridge!

You're right. It won't ever happen, because all of our politicans are very anti-skyway. Never mind that the entire Skyway project cost less than most of these stupid overpasses and freeway interchanges.

But even if a skyway extension did happen, how exactly would it get to the sports complex? The Hart bridge expressway crosses at Bay & A. Philip Randolph. I don't think the skyway could go under it, and it would seem prohibitively expensive to bridge the skyway over it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they built the overpasses with room for a median/future expansion of Bay or APR then the skyway could go down to ground level to get under the highway then back up on the other side.

Archived