Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

I just wanted to post a question regarding the construction of The Peninsula. I know that the groundbreaking for it is on October 27th. What does the term "groundbreaking" actually mean? I know that they've already started the foundation construction on this building, so what does this "groundbreaking" term mean? Does the term mean that's when they're putting up the high-rise crane for its construction? Is this when there's actually a wall being built for the actual building and not just the foundation? Could someone please explain what does this term actually means? Thanks.

I received a mailer on the groundbreaking, which stated that kites would be flying at the 400' height that the building will reach. Riverplace Towe is 432'.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the possitive language too ... though we have to take it with a great of salt. I believe the magazine is funded by "downtown vision" the tax-district funded non-profit PR firm!!

The most interesting thing I noticed was their claim that Berkman phase II has made some changes. I wonder what they could be? There's certainly room for improvement!

I like the possitive language too ... though we have to take it with a great of salt. I believe the magazine is funded by "downtown vision" the tax-district funded non-profit PR firm!!

The most interesting thing I noticed was their claim that Berkman phase II has made some changes. I wonder what they could be? There's certainly room for improvement!

- I wasn't aware of the fowntown vision funding. Nonetheless, the more positive words that are printed and spoken, the more people start to believe in the sucess of downtown.

- I agree that there is definitely room for improvement on Berkman II. I can only hope that the big improvement is in height! I'm not too keen on the look, but the second phase would most definitely be of the same style if not a dupilcate.

On another front - remember that 10 story project for the site at Union and Main? Well there is a large crane outsite of it right now. I figure we couldn't have all missed a construction announcement.

Are you talking about the Union Street Lofts?

I really hope the Union and Main project gets built. I love the design and it would start to form a bridge between Springfield and downtown. As for the construction equipment, I assumed it was part of some road improvements in the area and the City was just borrowing the lot for storage. I am sure we would have heard more if the building was about to start construction.

Downtown This Week is published by Bailey Publishing, the same folks that publish the Daily Record, as well as some other local publications. I'm sure Downtown Vision provides some of the maps, etc. that appear in DTW, but I am not aware of any staff or financial ties.

^No there's definately some construction work taking place on site. However, at this time, I'm still assuming its probably in connection to road or sewer improvements, adjacent or under the site.

They are removing old fuel tanks and contaminated soil. Possibly in preparation for a new building?

somebody should send an email to the company that wants to build the Lofts to see if the construction on that lot is related to their plans to build...

Three response, but only two real answers

No, not our stuff - measn what it means

Yes, we are doing X to get ready - YEY!!!

Not at liberty to discuss - YEY!!! (if it wasnt their stuff, why would they not be at liberty)

Cheers

I was wondering if anyone knows exactly how the construction is progressing for Riverside Avenue Partner's 13-story office building next to the Fidelity Campus?

I know that construction has been approved or whatsoever, but I think they're just clearing the land now or something. Does anyone know for sure what's been done so far?

I only pass by the highway which doesn't really give you that good of a view especially w/the construction of the new 8-story Fidelity Office Building.

Thanks.

As Vicup already said, DTW is wholly owned by Bailey Publishing. I know - I'm a former DTW writer. Downtown Vision has no editorial influence. They offer a lot of content, though, with their numerous events.

One of the things that led to my dissatisfaction with DTW was the constant positive spin. The Daily Record is the same way - all fluff, no real news. Bailey will never beat the Times-Union for timeliness of a story - the paper is distributed at 10 a.m. - and management isn't interested in in-depth reporting so The Business Journal is a better source for trend pieces and background. What does Bailey add to the print journalism of Jacksonville? Well, they run the legal ads...

On another note, though, I was quite pleased to see some of my stories linked here with feedback. At least the readers thought I did a good job, even if management didn't.

Downtown Vision, Inc. (DVI) is a not-for-profit 5016 organization whose mission is to build and maintain a healthy and vibrant Downtown community and to promote Downtown as an exciting place to live, work, play, and visit.

DVI's annual meeting is today at 5:30. It is open to the public with a reception at 6:15 following. I know a couple of you had asked me about this. Sorry I couldn't get the info to you sooner.

Downtown Vision, Inc. (DVI) is a not-for-profit 501

An interesting article about the retail-in-parking-garages ordinance downtown....

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43761

Even though our retail market is low, I would hope that they would put SOMETHING on the ground floors of these garages. Maybe townhomes wrapping around a garage. I'm sure we could handle a few more residences in the downtown market...

Archived