Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

6 minutes ago, grodney said:

Hate to follow and possibly draw attention away from the quality rant above, but what is this re-zoning for, and why does it require re-zoning?   In laymen's terms.  I mean I can read the rezoning docs, but I don't get it.  Thanks!

https://www.charlottenc.gov/Growth-and-Development/Planning-and-Development/Rezoning/2023/2023-129

This is for skyline signage at the top of the building (i.e. the handle). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

I think Buc-ee's is an embarrassment for our state personally... we need less of this, not more. They should just rename Mebane to "Obesity, North Carolina." 

While Buc-ee's is cute for the novelty once, I personally find the stores nauseating. Again, just my opinion... but seeing people load up on fudge, jerky, brisket, candied nuts, et... in amounts never seen at your average gas station. People encouraging their obese children to get an obnoxious amount of junk food. A guy downed an entire bag of Buc-ee's Beaver Nuggets walking around the store... that's 1,700 calories on a snack. When I was browsing the novelty clothing.... almost no Smalls or Mediums in stock for most items.... no surprise given the clientele. 

I know I sound elitist, but Buc-ee's is basically the poster child for fat America alongside the Cracker Barrel just down the street and the fast food cluster on Mebane Oaks Road. We need to be actively working as a state to reduce our obesity epidemic, not pour lighter fluid all over it. At other gas stations, people definitely are buying junk food, but never as much as I've seen at a Buc-ee's. 

The bathrooms are clean though! Great place to go to the bathroom after fighting through the crowds of people in the store loading up on fudge. Just steer clear of the food or have a cardiologist on speed dial. 

I am their clientele  thank you and not overweight as you suggest many of their customers are.  As a traveller across the southeast and Texas their stores are welcome relief with sandwiches and drinks and yes clean bathrooms.  I rather go here and get a freshly made sandwich than any fast food joint.  To each their own but let the rest of us make our own decisions. 

• Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am their clientele  thank you and not overweight as you suggest many of their customers are.  As a traveller across the southeast and Texas their stores are welcome relief with sandwiches and drinks and yes clean bathrooms.  I rather go here and get a freshly made sandwich than any fast food joint.  To each their own but let the rest of us make our own decisions. 

You can absolutely make your own decision and I reserve the right to be embarrassed for our state being excited for more junk food in Mebane's fast food corridor. I've lived in Texas and think the store's food is largely disgusting... just like fast food is disgusting. I don't get the hype. The bathrooms I think are great. You are free to eat there all you want, but I am absolutely not excited Mebane is just becoming a corridor of junk food. I also wouldn't have opposed the project if I was in government based on my personal opinions... just disappointed. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

You can absolutely make your own decision and I reserve the right to be embarrassed for our state being excited for more junk food in Mebane's fast food corridor. I've lived in Texas and think the store's food is largely disgusting... just like fast food is disgusting. I don't get the hype. The bathrooms I think are great. You are free to eat there all you want, but I am absolutely not excited Mebane is just becoming a corridor of junk food. I also wouldn't have opposed the project if I was in government based on my personal opinions... just disappointed. 

I had heard the hype for years and gave it a try in 2023 for the first time. The bathroom was truly next level clean and nice. But the food wasn't for me. The brisket sandwich was extremely sweet. A strange amount of sugar in that sauce. And my first one was inedible - mostly a huge chunk of pure connective tissue and fat. I asked for another one and got it, but couldn't eat more than a third of it before giving up. It should be a crime to represent TX BBQ that way.  Plus with so many soft drink fountain options - not one was water. I walked in with an empty water bottle and left with it still empty.  At least they have some cut fruit? 

• Like 1

About two months ago I had dinner at Curry Gate #2 on South Blvd. There were ~ 12 diners while I was there, 1+ hours, but the outgoing food system was astounding. Delivery drivers arriving, holding their phone so the order was visible and the cashier handing it to him and off he went. By the time I realized what was happening I started counting and easily 25-30 orders were in the queue. I had never seen anything like it. A week later I was at Midwood BBQ Park Rd Ctr and I asked the barmaid what the percentage of dine in was and she said it depends on day of week, time of day, etc., but her shift it was about 30% dine in and delivery was most of the rest. A few carry out orders such as mine. This week it was Viva Chicken, and more than half of orders are outgoing with delivery services per the cashier. I have thought that delivery was an add on to the restaurant business but with these percentages delivery IS the business. These are mid-style restaurants, neighborhood focussed, mid priced, ethnic influenced but i am still surprised how food delivery has changed their business. If anyone has been/is in the business and can add to these anecdotal figures I would appreciate it. My feeling was that restaurants did not like delivery because there is no upsell opportunity, no alcohol sales, No word of mouth about the dine in experience, but they must be satisfied or they would not participate.

Sir Edmund Halley said no delivery services for them. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

So… a little bit of a different topic here, but around 715P tonight did anyone see a giant UFO over Independence?  Friends of mine live in Oakhurst and were getting in their hot tub in their backyard and captured it on video. This craft was moving east very slowly and very low. I can’t load the videos here obviously, but have some still shots.  The pattern looks like those triangular shaped light arrangements from those crafts that all those people saw in Phoenix about 10 years ago. I haven’t seen anything downtown here but has anybody seen or heard anything about this?

And yes, I believe in aliens. 

IMG_3862.png

IMG_3861.png

IMG_3863.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, turbocraig said:

So… a little bit of a different topic here, but around 715P tonight did anyone see a giant UFO over Independence?  Friends of mine live in Oakhurst and were getting in their hot tub in their backyard and captured it on video. This craft was moving east very slowly and very low. I can’t load the videos here obviously, but have some still shots.  The pattern looks like those triangular shaped light arrangements from those crafts that all those people saw in Phoenix about 10 years ago. I haven’t seen anything downtown here but has anybody seen or heard anything about this?

And yes, I believe in aliens. 

IMG_3862.png

IMG_3861.png

IMG_3863.png

Gman is out and about with his drone

• Haha 4

Fully off topic but people should look into the current UFO moment. I’ve never followed UFOs but I do have friends staffing in Congress and it’s all they talk about now.

15 hours ago, MothBeast said:

Fully off topic but people should look into the current UFO moment. I’ve never followed UFOs but I do have friends staffing in Congress and it’s all they talk about now.

Something else to keep their focus off the real issues here on Earth and in the US, huh? 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I just want to say I've been posting on this site since it was founded when I was a teenager, in 17 days I turn 39. That's wild. Thank you @Neo for bringing it into existence. 

did RickyDavisFan die off?  You have had more rebrands than the local Atrium hospital.  

Yes we did all miss UP the day it was gone!  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CLT Development said:

I just want to say I've been posting on this site since it was founded when I was a teenager, in 17 days I turn 39. That's wild. Thank you @Neo for bringing it into existence. 

Absolutely agree, signed up for this site in 2005 and have visiting regularly ever since.  I can't say that about any other site.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Now you're making me feel old! 🙃

Completely irrelevant to us here but…

Much to my surprise, the value of one ton of recycled cardboard is now as high as $150 per ton in the Southeast. I believe this is approaching the price of aluminum cans.

https://www.wsj.com/finance/commodities-futures/one-of-americas-hottest-commodities-is-probably-in-your-trash-ead33985

another few bucks of price increase and my amazon orders will start paying for themselves.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4