Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

My dad bought 4 burial plots at Sharon Memorial Park at Monroe and Sharon Amity in the early 1960s.  The rate of return of these was greater than any real estate they ever owned even if they held on to for 60 years.   While some people like me like to buried in the ground many now are choosing cremation which is lessen the demand for cemeteries nationwide.  

Completely changing this subject I was updating my Airbnb listing and I saw the following experiences listed here in Charlotte.  Basically where you can stay somewhere with something extra and some of these are let;s say off beat.

Drive a Tractor in Stanly County from $49 a person,  Learn Magic and drink Craft Brews from $50 a person plus lodging, Paint with a guy named Mark in Ft Mill from $55 person,  Flyboard above Lake Hickory from $65 person        Who says Charlotte ain't gotta a lot!    All these are listed as "Experiences" on Airbnb in the Charlotte area. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

I made it to Russian River brewing last week, and had my first Pliny the Elder.  It did not disappoint......one of the best beers I've ever had.  And for the rant you knew was coming, it's 8.0%abv and a full 16oz draft pint was $5.25.  5.25!!  I am so tired of these Charlotte breweries charging 6, 6.50, 7 bucks a pint.  Screw you Wooden Robot.

And while I'm at it, the pedestrian experience out there is amazing.  Sonoma, Santa Rosa, Berkeley, wherever......pedestrians just walk out in front of traffic!  And while we were being pedestrians, if we got within 10 feet of a crosswalk, traffic would stop and wave us across.  Awesome.  It was a whole other world.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, grodney said:

I made it to Russian River brewing last week, and had my first Pliny the Elder.  It did not disappoint......one of the best beers I've ever had.  And for the rant you knew was coming, it's 8.0%abv and a full 16oz draft pint was $5.25.  5.25!!  I am so tired of these Charlotte breweries charging 6, 6.50, 7 bucks a pint.  Screw you Wooden Robot.

And while I'm at it, the pedestrian experience out there is amazing.  Sonoma, Santa Rosa, Berkeley, wherever......pedestrians just walk out in front of traffic!  And while we were being pedestrians, if we got within 10 feet of a crosswalk, traffic would stop and wave us across.  Awesome.  It was a whole other world.

Did you go to the Windsor or Santa Rosa location?  I have been to both but the new Windsor location blew me away when I visited it this April.  Just a beautiful brewery and the food was really good as well.  The metal cups to protect your IPA outside was amazing as I have never heard of anyone doing that.  Came home with a suitcase of the sours (I had bought Pliny all week in San Fran and Napa). 

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Did you go to the Windsor or Santa Rosa location?  I have been to both but the new Windsor location blew me away when I visited it this April.  Just a beautiful brewery and the food was really good as well.  The metal cups to protect your IPA outside was amazing as I have never heard of anyone doing that.  Came home with a suitcase of the sours (I had bought Pliny all week in San Fran and Napa). 

Santa Rosa location.  Nothing special (but nothing bad) about the brewery in my mind, and the food was good but not great.  And although pints were only $5.25, a to-go bottle (I think it was 17.6? oz) was $5.50......so I only bought a few, and none of them made it back to CLT, hahahaha.  By the way, I found the Heist of the West at Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley.  They had 7 IPAs on tap and 6 of them were Hazy.  So I had 5 hazy and the 1 west coast.....all 6 were really delicious.   Also shook hands with Jerry Brown and chatted a bit (he criticized our food choices and suggested "veggies") after randomly running into him at a diner.  So this was an amazing trip, hahahaha.

Edited by grodney
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, grodney said:

Santa Rosa location.  Nothing special (but nothing bad) about the brewery in my mind, and the food was good but not great.  And although pints were only $5.25, a to-go bottle (I think it was 17.6? oz) was $5.50......so I only bought a few, and none of them made it back to CLT, hahahaha.  By the way, I found the Heist of the West at Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley.  They had 7 IPAs on tap and 6 of them were Hazy.  So I had 5 hazy and the 1 west coast.....all 6 were really delicious.   Also shook hands with Jerry Brown and chatted a bit (he criticized our food choices and suggested "veggies") after randomly running into him at a diner.  So this was an amazing trip, hahahaha.

Yeah the Santa Rosa brewpub is nothing special space wise (besides the great beer).  The Windsor location is 180 degrees different.  Bright and airy, tons of room, large beer/merch shop, etc.  Its also a massive production brewery.  Acres of grass / open space (kids had room to play soccer when we stopped by).  They just opened it in the fall so still new and shiny.  

The pliny bottles are 500ml (so 16.9oz) and the same price at Whole Foods in the Valleys.   Still the original king of WCIPA!   The ones I was getting  at the stores out there were 7-10 days old...can't beat that!  

I heard great things about Fieldworks but I didn't want to take Bart an hour when I could get to Cellarmaker with a 5min walk from my class. Great tiny brewery in SoMa. 

6 hours ago, grodney said:

I love a Good Morning Vietnam but the $7 thing irks me too. Luckily we still have Birdsong with honest priced local beers

• Like 2

I didn't want to derail the Ally thread but Re: dog parks...who owns this giant piece of grassy land by the charlotte plaza building across from the hilton. This plot is massive and has got to be one of the largest, centrally located grassy/tree-y areas left uptown and I dont even think it's labelled a park or anything really. I've said this a long time ago in the romare thread when dog parks got brought up, but this plot is super underutilized and would be perfect for a dog park. Plenty of space to throw frisbees and run around. Until a developer builds a tower here, you aren't going to find an area that large and grassy and centrally located than this spot here. 

20190812_214037.thumb.jpg.328551102c7b024daa49088071f7637f.jpg

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz