Charlotte Off Topic

monsoon

On 9/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, Nick2 said:

So she was against it because family was bootlegging because alcohol was illegal?

Sorry. Just now seeing this.

She was against it for two reasons: 1) family situation  2) the suffragette movement was allied with prohibition. There's some kind of vague history I believe regarding booze and suffragettes. 

25 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Sorry. Just now seeing this.

She was against it for two reasons: 1) family situation  2) the suffragette movement was allied with prohibition. There's some kind of vague history I believe regarding booze and suffragettes. 

I'm not real well read on the subject, but my general understanding was that women were suffering the most from alcohol abuse. That came in the form of men/husbands drinking too much and causing them physical & mental abuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whaaaaat?!  South County library (at Rea and 51) is closing Nov 3 for "renovations"....re-opening **winter 2021?!?!!!**.  What the actual?  I mean, you could bulldoze and completely rebuild by 2021.  They build goddam skyscrapers in less time.  This is like when the airport needed 6 months to install a metal detector.  And what is winter 2021 anyway?  Is that Jan/Feb 20201 or Nov/Dec 2021 and why don't people think of this when writing "winter 2021"?

library.jpg.0758265704fbff5182694c058c64eefc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wow this is a terrible crane collapse in downtown New Orleans at the Hard Rock Hotel.  anyone know about this project were they adding floors above something existing or what?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/person-killed-18-hospital-crane-collapses-hard-rock/story?id=66232002  video here

more photos at Nola.com

https://www.nola.com/news/article_32bf6f0c-ed19-11e9-bbf3-83ac53629e42.html

Edited by KJHburg
  • Sad 2

^ I saw that that on the news. What a tragedy and sad for the loss of life. How does something like that even happen and what caused it? OSHA will be all over this. I bet it will be a long time before construction resumes. This happened at the corner of Canal and N. Rampart Street. Here’s the video.

Edited by NCMike1990
Add video
  • Thanks 3

^ I wake up everyday and am pleasantly surprised the power isn't out because Duke can't keep their power lines from falling off poles in 2 mph winds. I'd say I budget 2 fridges worth of food being thrown out per year due to 12 hour+ power outages and plan on 15 - 18 minor power outages a year that get resolved within 12 hours. Most typical cause is it is raining and the power line into the neighborhood falls back onto the street again. 

Edited by CLT2014

• 2 weeks later...