MIAMI | Downtown, Brickell, Omni, Edgewater

bobliocatt

Now that you mention the 395 canyon (hehe) isnt the metromover at pretty much the same height as the highway?  If so what good will it do to remove it when the metromover will still obstruct the view just the same??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe because i havent been keeping up w/ it latley, what have they planned for the I-395 project anyway?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No official decision has been made.

The two options are to build a much higher bridge to let some light in (this is what DOT wants), or build a recessed trench in its place. I believe the MPO (Metropolitan Planning Organization) would have the ultimate decision on this.

The recessed highway worries me because of flooding issues and hurricane evacuation concerns. As an example, Houston has recessed freeways and whenever there's a heavy rainstorm the water can't drain fast enough so they flood so much that they look like rivers.

There are several things they could do to the bridge. Make the bridge an attractive, not just functional and hideous. The construction projects of late around the state and the country have been more pleasing to the eye.

There's a rendering that shows a possible new park with a few lagoons beneath. I'll see if I can find it. If they make the bridge, say, 40,50,60 feet high, decorated the pylons with a Miami theme, it could become something we could be proud of... And imagine the breathtaking views from up high...The ones from the existing bridge are spectacular enough as it is.

No official decision has been made.

The two options are to build a much higher bridge to let some light in (this is what DOT wants), or build a recessed trench in its place. I believe the MPO (Metropolitan Planning Organization) would have the ultimate decision on this.

The recessed highway worries me because of flooding issues and hurricane evacuation concerns. As an example, Houston has recessed freeways and whenever there's a heavy rainstorm the water can't drain fast enough so they flood so much that they look like rivers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Following up on my question earlier, what will they do with the metromover which has about the same height as the I395 bridge?

Since the bridge over the water is already there, they would probably keep the existing bridge... The new viaduct (flyover) would have to descend at that point to go beneath the Metromover to meet up with the original bridge...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh another late bird I see

So then the metromover bridge would otinue to distort the view from downtown like the 395 bridge does. I guess I thought that was the whole point of modifying the 395 bridge.

Yep, that's NE 14th St, between the Omni Center and the PAC... Took a little squinting to figure out but that's it. The irregular lot helps give it away.

I can't tell from that pic if the project stops at 15th Street or just slightly south of it, where the Omni bus terminal is. Speaking of which, I don't see the Omni in there either... Wonder if the artist had plans for that structure... :)

So then the metromover bridge would otinue to distort the view from downtown like the 395 bridge does.  I guess I thought that was the whole point of modifying the 395 bridge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought it was more about reconnecting Overtown or making friendlier and more usable space within that corridor.

I'm waiting to see when the MPO will start looking into this again.

an update on the SMA/Capital Brickell project:

Capital at Brickell, a mixed-use project to include towers of 53 and 57 stories, would sit on a 2.6-acre site bounded by South Miami Avenue and Southwest 14th Terrace, First Avenue and 14th Street.

Cabi plans to market Capital at Brickell next month, though renderings and sales information have already hit real estate websites.

[...]    In addition to about 830 residential condominiums - lofts, studios and one-, two- and three-bedroom - Cabi plans about nearly 100,000 square feet of office spaces and more than 47,800 square feet of retail space, according to city records. Construction is expected to begin next year, with completion planned by 2009.

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/050818/story6.shtml

Capital%20Tower%20Top2.gif

Capital%20Tower%20Top.gif

The modern twist on the Chrysler Building is beyond words to describe. What a great fit for Miami.

Archived