MIAMI | Downtown, Brickell, Omni, Edgewater

bobliocatt

People will believe whatever they want to believe, or whatever's in their best interest to believe. And even if some parts of the country don't acknowledge Miami's achievements, this hemisphere and the world have. And for those that don't, honestly, it's their loss. This is a city that marches to a different beat, and that's not a bad thing.

So chin up Toucano, we got a good thing going here, and there are plenty of ways to debase and prove the naysayers wrong. :thumbsup:

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the best thing that Miami has got going for it is the drive, energy and ambition of its people and their openness to people from other countries and cultures. So come real estate boom or crashing bust, I'm very high on its prospects.

Living away up North most of the time, I have to say that to the extent Miami has a bad reputation amongst some ignorant Americans, then that's really great for Miami. I usually encounter the attitude that Toucano is describing only amongst the xenophobic, poorly educated "America first" crowd. And I am very glad they feel that way. I always say to them, "yes Miami is full of Hispanics and it's full of foreigners...you must speak Spanish to get by...do avoid it if you can, PLEASE"

:P

Of course, that's not to say some of the current real estate development does not deserves serious criticism and rejection, and that some busting of the boom shouldn't be welcomed at least for some stinker buildings.

You forget that Nationally Miami always gets a bad rap in everything.  Miami is always looked as another country within the United States.  We get screwed in everything (Including the BCS) and yet our image continues to improve by the day, we are still seen as a bunch of Hispanic Idiots down here...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For my part, I'd say that, other than the scUM football program, Miami does not desrve the badmouthing it gets nationwide.

Hey anyone know about updates to the port of miami tunnel?

The more I drive through Biscayne the more I reliaza the nuisanse there monsters are particularly when they are trying to go back to I95

Its a given that the bisycane revitalization will take place prior to any other entry to the port exists. This will create a huge bottleneck if indeed these condos end up with residents.

It's still being studied... I've heard a couple ideas and alternatives floated around:

• One Miami-Dade commissioner suggested building a flyover from the port to I-95

• I've also heard the suggestion of building a truck tunnel from the port to the mainland that would surface somewhere around I-395 or I-95.

• The one that I believe FDOT wants is the tunnel that would go under the main port channel to Watson Island and surface on the MacArthur Causeway... the problem with that one is that if the channel ever needs to be deepened, they might not be able to because of the tunnel being in the way.

Is that Miami or Rio?

Awesome picture.

On the port tunnel, last I heard, money was an issue with the tunnel idea.

I'd personally like to see a rail tunnel but with Midtown rising, there's no real place to go to. Something definitely has to be done about the trucks though.

Sadly enough, no action will be taken by the time most of the biscayne buildings are up and ready sooooo, here comes traffic hell.

On another subject, I may have missed this but what will happen to the railroad tracks on 6th (behind/next to the freedom tower) when they build whatever they finally decide to build.

Finally, they have removed the Sheraton sign! Another Implosion????

Is that Miami or Rio?

Awesome picture.

On the port tunnel, last I heard, money was an issue with the tunnel idea.

I'd personally like to see a rail tunnel but with Midtown rising, there's no real place to go to.  Something definitely has to be done about the trucks though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's Rio with much better architecture. B)

man i must say that i love sfdave from ssc..this guys through everything to get us some renderings...

decided to go downtown today to the city admin. building where the public hearing dept. is.  wanted to see if i could find some renderings i haven't seen yet for various projects.  let me tell you, i'm gald as hell i decided to go check it out cause it was well worth my time.

first of all, the people there were super cool & were very accomodating.  gave me access to anything i could find.  i asked if i could take pictures, figuring i had  a 50-50 chance at best, & the lady didn't even bat an eyelash & said go for it.   

she also asked if i'd seen their website, which, of course, i hadn't, so she showed it to me.  the city of miami site has a page where they've started uploading all of the project docs (renderings & all) for public view.  exactly what we've all been wanting.  here's the link: http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/pages/  from there, click on "Legislative Hub" in the "Your Government" area at the bottom & a full screen page will open up.  click on "Legislative files" & you'll get a search bar.  search for projects by address or name.  they're still updating projects so not everything's on there yet, but a bunch of projects are. 

now, to the pics i took at the office:

Infinity 2

622050058uf.jpg

622050075cx.jpg

Cardinal Symphony

622050085xg.jpg

622050109oa.jpg

600 Biscayne

622050118iw.jpg

622050131vx.jpg

622050144ph.jpg

622050154hk.jpg

622050168ls.jpg

a few i snagged from the website docs:

Platinum on the Bay

platinumonthebay6ma.jpg

more Infinity 2

infinity220tg.jpg

infinity233jg.jpg

infinity244jk.jpg

infinity250bf.jpg

& finally, just cause it's so damn fun to save the best for last, i was able to get a pic of Brickell Citi Centre while at the office:

622050039mn.jpg

as ice cube said, today was a good day.    :pepper:

EDIT:  i gotta say, since seeing these new renderings of 600 Biscayne, it's really grown on me.  i *might* just have to take back what i said before about it not working with the freedom tower, cause these pics make it look like it compliments it fairly well.  or at least doesn't completely drown it as much as i had thought.

WOW!!! I have to agree what what Dave said... 600 Biscayne looks better with the Freedom tower than I thought. Also, I really like the look of Infinity 2 from ground level. I never liked that tower, but if it looks like that from the ground, I may change my mind.

Claude Pepper Park is a city of North Miami park, about 9 miles north of downtown Miami. Has some baseball fields, tennis courts, and some other recreational uses.

Did you find that info on the General Obligation Bond page?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gotcha. Yes, I believe it was from that particular page. It's been a few days.

I believe that Bayfront Park has a trust and that modest improvements are planned, no ?

Archived