MIAMI | Downtown, Brickell, Omni, Edgewater

bobliocatt

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know its a little premature to comment on this, but does anyone else feel that One Miami is turning out to be a little of a concrete overkill for such a small area? I like what the towers are doing for density, but I hope it doesn't just create the appearance of solid walls.

I'm willing to give One Miami a pass on this because it was one of the first ones. We were just happy to have downtown residential even being thought about when this one came through the pipeline. I agree on it's appeaance though. Too much concrete.

Miami One looks cheap and dimished the vista from Bayfront park quite a lot. Although the renderings never looked that good to begin with.

Does any one know whether Miami follows a discretionary planning approach? It's a bit strange that lots and lots of garbage seems to be getting approved very quickly at the very height of an enormous boom. If we were in a bust, I could maybe understand it.

completely agree, in fact I would have no rectangular towers approved where one side is so much longer than the other. it creates a terrible walling effect and the skyline is permanently scarred. You get a bulky (short and fat) look rather than a soaring feeling (note how ugly the skyline from Rickenbacker can look in the first mile or so before you get to the first tall bridge) And Miami One has done that to the previously beautiful Bayfront park skyline, it soared before, now it looks overcrowded.

unfortunately, developers on the waterfront want such buildings to maximize views.

Where are the city planners, asleep?

Ice is on it's last legs and looks to be cancelled. With high construction costs and a shorter of contractors, this could be the first of many that don't make it.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11894947.htm

''We encountered unforeseen dramatic cost increases as we began work on the project,'' Gold and Wohl explained to buyers in their most recent letter, dated May 25. ``As a result, our bankers required us to seek additional financing. Because of the delays in finding a new equity partner, certain of our subcontractors withdrew from the project, and we suffered a further round of cost increases.''

Ice in the P&C index: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...963entry88963

Ice is on it's last legs and looks to be cancelled.  With high construction costs and a shorter of contractors, this could be the first of many that don't make it.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11894947.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's slightly remarkable that more projects have not failed to date. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I read elsewhere that ICE would likely resurface under a new developer.

But for perspective, Las Vegas, which is arguably earlier into its development cycle than is Miami, has witnessed several failed projects already. Yet, nobody is predicting a slowdown for Las Vegas.

I don't meant to imply that it will cause a slowdown, but the sheer number of projects means that we'll see a lot of failures as well. It was not a failure of demand but a failure of planning on the developers part. The thing that sucks most is the ones that bought into this years ago and will have nothing to show for their money.

Yes, yes I would, but a lot of these projects are still proposed or in land clearing mode. In terms of number of towers we're only just getting strated. We still have plenty of time for overnight developers to crash and burn

It's further amazing how fast some of these have gotten off the ground. If only the Related group and the Neo people were building them all.

Yet, nobody is predicting a slowdown for Las Vegas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forget that Nationally Miami always gets a bad rap in everything. Miami is always looked as another country within the United States. We get screwed in everything (Including the BCS) and yet our image continues to improve by the day, we are still seen as a bunch of Hispanic Idiots down here...

Archived