MIAMI | Downtown, Brickell, Omni, Edgewater

bobliocatt

Posted on Fri, May. 06, 2005

REAL ESTATE

Omni Center sells for $100M

Developers purchased the long-struggling Omni Center for $100 million, creating a huge section of properties poised for development in Miami's Performing Arts Center district.

BY MATTHEW HAGGMAN

[email protected]

The Omni Center, an enormous concrete structure covering a lengthy stretch of Miami's Biscayne Boulevard, has been sold for $100 million in a move that portends more dramatic changes in the rapidly evolving Performing Arts Center neighborhood.

Argent Ventures purchased the 11.2-acre parcel, currently occupied by a Radisson Hotel, an art school and chamber of commerce offices, from Lehman Brothers. Also on the property is the gutted Omni International Mall. The purchase comes on the heels of developer Pedro Martin's Terra Group buying a nearby 10-acre swath of land in March from The Herald's parent company, Knight Ridder, for $190 million.

Read more: Miami Herald

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted on Fri, May. 06, 2005

DOWNTOWN MIAMI

Walk this way: State plans grand Biscayne makeover

A boulevard of broken sidewalks is set to get a new look, as state officials seek bids for revamping Biscayne into a grand thoroughfare more befitting for walks.

BY ANDRES VIGLUCCI

[email protected]

Hardly anyone dares cross Biscayne Boulevard in downtown Miami between AmericanAirlines Arena and Bicentennial Park, and for good reason.

Cracked, narrow sidewalks, no real median, few pedestrian crossings and six lanes of rushing traffic can turn a crossing attempt into a life-threatening sprint -- one big reason why Bicentennial sits forlorn and unused today.

By the end of next year, that should all be different: The critical eight-block stretch is to have a new pedestrian-friendly look befitting the boulevard's expected role as the grand foyer for a revitalized downtown.

The entire stretch will be reconstructed -- and straightened out, requiring a shift to the east. That will accommodate broad new sidewalks on both sides, generous landscaped medians, new streetlights and even parallel parking on the boulevard's west side...

Hallelujah! Such good news today!

Omni progress!

Biscayne's Makeover!

I really hope they do a good job on Biscayne, making it like some of the signature boulevards in other world-class cities. And I had read some PDF about the Omni area, and it had really neat visions of what the area could be like with a dense, urban skyline.

~Tyler, pleased.

anyone see SMA CAPITOL BUILDING YET,well ijt posted them on ssc.

what an entrance, IJT816!  welcome to the forums. 

these towers are definitely unlike anything miami has seen & that's a good thing.  i mean, they've got *gasp* spires!  looks like only the taller tower is around 800 ft. to the tip of the spire, but that's ok. 

what a week we're having!

sma14tp.jpg

sma26qs.jpg

sma38ot.jpg

sma40xk.jpg

sma53wl.jpg

i think i can get these into my photoshop pic, too.  i'll try today & post it later on.

http://www.floridarealestate.tv/sma.pdf

Great-looking towers.... Imposing on the sky with a nice footprint at ground level.

Also in the area, it appears that the Park Place project has been renamed to One Broadway at Brickell.. If you will recall, I mentioned a while back that SW/SE 15th Road was renamed to Broadway, the original name of the street.

You can find out more information about the One Broadway tower in the P&C thread: One Broadway

Florida DOT will partially close down Biscayne Blvd at the Performing Arts Center construction site, in order to begin work on an infrastructure and bricklaying project that will create a plaza between the two sides of the PAC, the Herald reports.

hmmppffff!

There goes my short drive to work!!!!

Do you have the link to the article or more information as to the detours available / duration of closeure?

Florida DOT will partially close down Biscayne Blvd at the Performing Arts Center construction site, in order to begin work on an infrastructure and bricklaying project that will create a plaza between the two sides of the PAC, the Herald reports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted on Tue, May. 10, 2005

MUSIC

PAC lures famed orchestra

Miami's Performing Arts Center scored a musical coup, luring the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the nation's finest, to perform three weeks a year.

BY ENRIQUE FERNANDEZ

[email protected]

The Cleveland Orchestra, one of the nation's most prestigious symphony orchestras, will play a 10-year series of three-week residencies at Miami's new Performing Arts Center, beginning in January 2007.

Although word about the move had circulated in the local classical music community for months, confirmation and details were released Monday during an exclusive Herald meeting with top brass from the PAC and Cleveland Orchestra, including its Austrian-born music director, Franz Welser-Most...

Nice move on the PAC's part to fill seats, but Cleveland?

We havn't had a Ohio connection since Fisher left Miami Beach.

I'm kidding a little bit, but I would have expected something more from the coast.

I'm really glad to see that the PAC is going to be actually used for something.

lol... we do: Miami Symphony Orchestra

The Miami Symphony Orchestra is Dade County's flagship orchestra. Founded in 1989, the orchestra is now entering its sixteenth anniversary concert season. Under the leadership of a highly regarded and renowned Cuban-American conductor, Manuel Ochoa, since its founding, the orchestra has come to represent the excitement and cultural vitality of our community.

That is a great looking project!!

I have a question for you miamians. Does anyone have a Miami map outlining the neighborhoods, so that us out-of-towners may follow the lingo. If so I would very much appreciate it. :)

I wish we had a talented, successful orchestra of our own.  Why isn't there a "Miami Symhony Orchestra"?  We need a full-time orchestra, in their rightful venue.  I don't think that New World group will do as many concerts as a full orchestra.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Miami had a great orchestra (The Florida Philharmonic) that disbanded about 3 years ago. I think that reorganizing that group needs to be a top priority, especially now that the city will have such a world class performance facility (Miami's performance facilities were previously the worst of the 3 S. Fla. counties by far).

I don't remember the details of the split, but I think the Phil. was disbanded more for management reasons, rather than lack of community support. Also, the fact that they split their time between 3 S. Fla. venues (Kravis Center in WPB, the hall in FTL, and Gusman in Miami) made management a unique challenge, and the management ran it into the ground. The musicians went on strike, no settlement was reached, and the orchestra disbanded. This orchestra could easily be revived, and become a stronger presence in Miami.

That is a great looking project!! 

I have a question for you miamians.  Does anyone have a Miami map outlining the neighborhoods, so that us out-of-towners may follow the lingo.  If so I would very much appreciate it.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure thing... I will put something up and I'll even PM you when it's ready. :)

Property Report: If Whole Foods Market is part of retail/condo complex, new apartments sell briskly

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

By Ryan Chittum, The Wall Street Journal

The sheer size and glamour of the 74-story Met 3 condo tower in Miami should be enough to bring in buyers. But with more than 50,000 condos in development in the city right now, what really sets Met 3 apart is the Whole Foods Market that fills its ground floor.

The hip purveyor of organic produce and fancy cheeses has joined the gym and the concierge as a must-have amenity in luxury-condo towers that are sprouting up in cities across the country.

With the resurgence of urban living, Whole Foods Market Inc. has found a sweet spot serving the sophisticated tastes of these new city dwellers. The fast-growing chain, based in Austin, Texas, not only alleviates the dearth of supermarkets in many downtowns but does so with style.

Ron Shuffield, president of Esslinger-Wooten-Maxwell Realtors Inc., the Miami-based company selling units in the three-building complex that includes the Met 3, says the developers sought out Whole Foods. "This is a huge draw for people to buy in these buildings," he says. "We hear it every day from our buyers." About a third of the pricey condos in the 650-unit building are already sold -- three years before the building is scheduled for completion...

Full Article:Post Gazzette

Archived