New Greenville developments

gs3

Yea, I noticed that too; however, the store downtown looks almost identical to that pictured in this photo:

clay_terrace.jpg

This would lead me to believe that this shop is going to exclusively sell Vera Bradley products. Also, although there is no sign on the outside of the space, there is a very prominent "Vera Bradley" sign on the wall in the back of the shop.

Oh well...I guess I can donate some old T-Shirts to United Way, Goodwill, or Miracle Hill. :lol:

There's a piece in Monday's GSA Business about the two new high rises slated for Broad Street.

http://www.gsabusiness.com/addedValuesPI/s...Reader$908

To sum it up:

As has been widely reported, PHC Communities, LLC has plans for a 20-story, mixed-use development, the Tower at Falls and Broad, with retail, residential, office condo and lease components.

Additionally, the site at the corner of Main and Broad is being developed by Columbia-based Holmes Smith Developments Inc.. They are proposing a 14-story, mixed-use building with retail, residential and office space.

Also, as had been reported in one of these threads, another project still in the planning stage for the intersection of Main and Broad is for City Hall Plaza to be restored or developed. And, as of yet, there have been no responses to the request for proposals released by the City. However, with the other two projects nearby, the City expects this site to become more interesting to developers.

Also, the Greenville News will be investing $12 million into printing equipment; however, there are no plans for the site to be developed into anything other than what it is today :sick:

Thanks for that summary, RT.  I had posted Monday about the article, but didn't have time to elaborate on it.  Great job! :thumbsup:  It's very exciting to actually hear/read about the projects from the developers themselves. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, I thought that seemed familiar when I read it... Mia coupa, Skyliner. I've had two solid weeks of late work nights and am in much need of a rest. :blush:

It is exciting to read stuff like this though. I find it interesting that the facade of the Tower @ Falls & Boad is being kept Art Deco, too! I'm not sure how I feel about that ultimately, though. :unsure:

The article mentioned that the Greenville News had no current plans to move, despite their building being the oldest on the Main and Broad corners. A Greenville News tower somewhere else in the CBD would be nice. The existing G-News building could be razed and would be a prime spot for mixed use development (or even exclusively residential).

Something else that would fit well on the current Greenville News site, and would be compatible with the Peace Center and the arts focus of the West End, is an Art Institute. They have locations in 31 metro areas across the country:

http://www.artinstitutes.edu/locations.asp

Getting one of these in Greenville would go a long way in solidifying our presence as an arts-friendly city. Does anyone know how a city goes about getting one of these?

Anyone know what is going on with Pendleton West. I know that they have changed architects (I think) so is this project still in the works? What about any other updates on condos for the downtown. I guess that many of them are waiting to see how many they can sell before begin to build but I havent heard if any will begin building soon???

Anyone know what is going on with Pendleton West.  I know that they have changed architects (I think) so is this project still in the works?  What about any other updates on condos for the downtown.  I guess that many of them are waiting to see how many they can sell before begin to build but I havent heard if any will begin building soon???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Phase one is being held up becuase new drawings had to be done. Considering I have a deposit down on a lot, it better still be happening.

Good News NYTransplant! I have a good friend who works for Fresh Market. He just returned from their corporate headquarters in Greensboro, and was told that they have reversed course again and will be moving forward with plans for a new store on Woodruff Rd. They hope to have it up and running by the end of next year. How about that, my first post and I get to bring someone good news!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is also a 45,000 sq.ft Whole foods market planned for Woodruff rd.

:thumbsup:

The new Whole Foods store is coming along very well. I stopped by the new Circuit City (beside Whole Foods) on Saturday evening and was impressed with the layout. Haven't checked out Best Buy yet, but the old location is closed now. I also went to Haywood Mall yesterday, but couldn't really tell much has changed. There are sheets of plastic hanging all over the place, taking away from the open-air feeling it once had. Thankfully it's all for a good cause though. :)

I honestly don't know what is up with this, but I have seen some renderings of some big West End development near the stadium... It includes from what I could tell was a large parking garage among other things. I think it's going to hinder the views of the Central Business District from the stadium... but it's more progress for that area!!! But like I said, I don't know if it's just a consideration or if it's a GO.

... and the new ballfield residential building called The Fieldhouse on S Main Street overlooking right field.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Overlooking Right Field rather than Left Field? Are you certain about this, Brad, or was this a typographical error on your part? I'm simply curious because the renderings that we have seen thus far show a residential or mixed-use building on South Main Street overlooking Left Field, as such:

9-greenville_downtown%20aerial.jpg

One of those intangible qualities that I've personally felt had the potential to be most attractive about the new ballpark is the view of the Central Business District Skyline beyond Right Center Field, especially as time goes on and the skyline welcomes new features.

If there will be a residential building (or a building of any kind, for that matter) overlooking Right Field, that would seem to detract from the aura of this view. On the other hand, depending on the building, it could potentially add to the view as well.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Overlooking Right Field rather than Left Field?  Are you certain about this, Brad, or was this a typographical error on your part?  I'm simply curious because the renderings that we have seen thus far show a residential or mixed-use building on South Main Street overlooking Left Field.

One of those intangible qualities that I've personally felt had the potential to be most attractive about the new ballpark is the view of the Central Business District Skyline beyond Right Center Field, especially as time goes on and the skyline welcomes new features.

If there will be a residential building (or a building of any kind, for that matter) overlooking Right Field, that would seem to detract from the aura of this view.  On the other hand, depending on the building, it could potentially add to the view as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not a huge baseball fan, but the building will run down the third base line ( going from the southern corner on S Main and going north to the railroad crossing ( approx across the street form Rocks and Ropes building). The view of the Downtown skyline is very important to the fan experience and will not be obstructed.

The building is actually two buildings joined by a stair tower and the southernmost building will be retail and office above and the Fieldhouse will be the northern most building, 36 -40 units from $185,000 to $300,000).....max of four stories per the Design Preservation Committee