New Greenville developments

gs3

13 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

How does this connect to population gain?  We've grown by roughly 15k since 2010, but this lists over 40k building permits issued just in the last 6 years. Surely most of those would be housing but where are the population gains? What am I missing?

A building permit is not a 1 to 1 link to population gain. One building permit could mean 200 apartments with 2 or 3 bedrooms each. Also permits are issued for cell towers, carports, garages, outbuildings, etc.  that don't correspond to population at all.  Obviously any remodeling or construction job for commercial requires a permit too. 

Apples and Oranges.

Given the city was LOSING population for a few decades, a 15k gain is pretty significant, especially considering  annexation was not a major factor. 

10 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

How does this connect to population gain?  We've grown by roughly 15k since 2010, but this lists over 40k building permits issued just in the last 6 years. Surely most of those would be housing but where are the population gains? What am I missing?

Of course, there's certainly commercial permits that would not relate to any population gains. Site work also requires a permit, which happens way in advance of building construction actually happening. Furthermore, a single address can see multiple permits being pulled for different phases of construction (core and shell, tenant upfits, renovations). Thinking of some downtown retail turnover, there's been many permits that overlap with no "additional" businesses being added, just replaced. Similarly, you have residential renovations. Residential tear down and replacement on the same lot. Neither of those are gaining population.

Permits can also be issued and nothing is built due to a variety of reasons (market conditions, financing, etc). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/15-million-parking-lot-prisma-greenville-downtown-cbre/article_c3df2e68-bc5f-11ee-aa1f-638f9920a35c.html?utm_term=gvltoday&utm_campaign=daily-newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=gvltoday&utm_content=gvltoday

From GVLToday: "The parking lot across from Yee-Haw Brewing Co. is for sale, listed at $15 million. The 2.27-acre parking lot on McBee Avenue is advertised as “one of the only large infill sites remaining in downtown Greenville’s central business district.” The city says it would like to see “significant density” on the site. (The Post and Courier Greenville)"

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2024 at 9:26 AM, vicupstate said:

So we lose 36 housing units in a city with a housing shortage because of NIMBYism when it had already gotten approval and did not exceed what was allowed in the first place. I don't call that a victory at all. 

Not surprising. The stupid city won’t even allow a Whataburger. :rofl: They want to become a 24 hour city so badly but won’t even allow 24 hour amenities. Not all of us work first shift. But a 24 QT and Waffle House next to downtown got approved no questions asked. Can’t wait for Whataburger to sue and win. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Work has started on the one story building at the corner of Webster + Calvin Streets (below the billboard and Church St bridge). Does anyone know what they're doing, or what may be going into this building? 

17 hours ago, gman430 said:

What happened to all of the development news? :D 

Where have you been the last few years? News is coming out almost weekly now. That said, the high interest rates are making it difficult for huge developments to make sense. I look for less big projects to be announced for another year or two.  Commercial real estate delinquencies are high too. The whole country is being affected by negative commercial real estate issues. 

Edited by gman

4 hours ago, gman said:

Where have you been the last few years? News is coming out almost weekly now. That said, the high interest rates are making it difficult for huge developments to make sense. I look for less big projects to be announced for another year or two.  Commercial real estate delinquencies are high too. The whole country is being affected by negative commercial real estate issues. 

News is coming out but still no tower cranes to show for it. I don’t think we’re going to see any of those for at least three years. But you are right. I don’t see interest rates dropping any time soon either. If anything, I expect the Federal Reserve to raise them again before the end of the year. It does help my savings account though with that high APY so I guess I can’t really complain too much.

Edited by gman430

41 minutes ago, gman430 said:

They’re all DEAD. Thank you Knox White and City Council for killing all of the planned projects downtown. THANK YOU!!! 

Some people would be happy with such an outcome. They want Greenville to be completely stagnant, and though they understand why people move to Greenville they still scream "WE'RE FULL!" although there is still plenty of room for growth. 

Just now, GVLover said:

Some people would be happy with such an outcome. They want Greenville to be completely stagnant, and though they understand why people move to Greenville they still scream "WE'RE FULL!" although there is still plenty of room for growth. 

The way these developers are acting with just twiddling their thumbs, I guess they think we are full too.

3 hours ago, GreenvilleSucks said:

The way these developers are acting with just twiddling their thumbs, I guess they think we are full too.

I wish a company like Related (NYC/Chicago), Kane (Raleigh), or Carroll (Greensboro) would consider doing projects here. Greenville County is one of the fastest growing counties in the fastest growing state in the US, it makes no sense as to why developers struggle with financing. Greenville should be in the middle of a building boom right now but it's shocking how much can be planned yet continue to fall through so I totally understand your frustration there. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, btoy said:

many of these developers are just are annoyed as you are.  they want to build their projects but the capital markets and economics keep putting hurtles in their way.

Welp…I guess they can just twiddle their thumbs for a few more years then. If they are waiting on inflation and interest rates to drop then they are going to be waiting a looong time. 

Edited by GreenvilleSucks

9 hours ago, GreenvilleSucks said:

Welp…I guess they can just twiddle their thumbs for a few more years then. If they are waiting on inflation and interest rates to drop then they are going to be waiting a looong time. 

Waiting is the smart thing to do. Otherwise, the developer will risk losing big money. 

• Like 1