First Ward Urban Village / North Tryon Vision Plan

uptownliving

17 minutes ago, JBS said:

This sounds like a serious upgrade if it ever happens.  Like everyone else, I simply have zero confidence in Levine following through on anything he says.  It seems possible (likely?) that this could sit unfinished until the next boom cycle.  Best case scenario is Levine continues to sell off parcels to good developers who might actually, you know, develop.  Grubb at least has an excuse (the hospital).    

image.png.7c813fe91ed6481515960b7721787662.png

This was the original back (pretty horrible, but the ribbon at least was a slight improvement. So it'll be 4 floors taller than this now. Cleary they did not do any of the brick here.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Also its levine, its all stalling tactics.

Do you have any educated guesses as to why this might be this time around? I'm at the point now where I feel it is complete incompetence, but I can't help but wonder if he is just trying to figure out a new way to hose the city again.

7 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Do you have any educated guesses as to why this might be this time around? I'm at the point now where I feel it is complete incompetence, but I can't help but wonder if he is just trying to figure out a new way to hose the city again.

Cash liquidity, paying bills, being a cheapskate. 

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The Levine "it takes years and years to build" Parking garage.  I did see workers all on the top floor look closely. Today.    Why oh why is this garage not open?  The state of NC paid some money for some of the parking spaces and yet still not open.   someone in the media should under FOIA look at the contract the state signed here with UNCC  and Levine and see if there is a breach. 

I hate this thing and do not know how it is allowed to shut down two lanes of traffic for years without being fined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just had to update old info on our Development Map that showed the deck and the apartments set to open in 2016.   Daniel Levine is absolutely incompetent at everything he has ever done other than inherit money.  

He is an absurd human being, and I can't wait to watch Lennar build a 30 story building before this parking deck is occupied. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is techinically 1st Ward but more of N Tryon Corridor.  Here is the RFQ for the first 2 blocks the Spirit Square, Library, Hall House etc blocks.

https://www.seventhandtryon.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Seventh-Tryon-RFQ_3.14.18.pdf

To me this seems a lot more complicated than it should be.  Why not choose a developer for the hotel? the office portion, the residential.  Not too many developers have all these expertise  in the areas.  I just want this to move along and not get tangled up in some huge project that is on slow motion for years.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know many people have differing opinions on what makes a building worth keeping. But to me, we have so few brick buildings from another era, why risk dismissing any of them?

I love this little building on 9th St, you can see the bricked-up former window in the front on the left, and it just reminds me of something I'd see in any small southern town. It could easily house a small establishment if its preservation was included in the block's eventual redevelopment. The entire block clearly seems like a land-bank.

First shot is from atop Skyhouse.

20180326_213702.png

20180326_212229.png

20180326_215439.png

20180326_215523.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know many people have differing opinions on what makes a building worth keeping. But to me, we have so few brick buildings from another era, why risk dismissing any of them?
I love this little building on 9th St, you can see the bricked-up former window in the front on the left, and it just reminds me of something I'd see in any small southern town. It could easily house a small establishment if its preservation was included in the block's eventual redevelopment. The entire block clearly seems like a land-bank.

20180326_213702.thumb.png.7c2526cbcd32e18a0be3725fc1c29de5.png
20180326_212229.thumb.png.f31673e183053cf0d6a781852e401023.png
20180326_215439.thumb.png.ffeb41d4d625dbd848dc10ddf3d9e86d.png
20180326_215523.thumb.png.b8775a7c113b01a017016e8f4dae0682.png

I wonder if/how I could get my hands on one of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the 1980's and 90's that was Bill Hefner Plumbing. He was my plumber for a few years and also for a business my wife ran. Typical 50's auto service style design and that window says that (if I did not know it was for auto service) it would be a diner window. 

Hefner Plumbing still exists. Bill, I dunno. Off Yancey in Lo So.

18 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

20180326_212229.png

If I didn't know any better, I'd think this picture was snapped in rural Georgia, or something. The Northern End of Uptown is atrocious. Plus side: tons of potential.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, JBS said:

Did anyone else know about this:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article208451364.html#storylink=latest_side

Very surprising based on proximity to new park.  That said, I support ALL new parks and greenways even if the location is curious.  I don't agree with some of the commissioner comments.  In my view, Uptown is for everyone and I sincerely doubt a new park will primarily be used by the wealthy.  That rich people are apparently willing to fund a significant portion should be applauded and not criticized.

We don't need a publicly funded park so close to First Ward Park. if it is completely privately funded then I don't mind as much. it is a shame that First Ward Park doesn't get as much attention as Romaire Bearden.

1 hour ago, norm21499 said:

We don't need a publicly funded park so close to First Ward Park. if it is completely privately funded then I don't mind as much. it is a shame that First Ward Park doesn't get as much attention as Romaire Bearden.

Nothing is that binary. "Not needing a publicly funded park" is not accurately painting this situation. This city needs more help for the poor, but so does every other major city. This sounds like political even more grandstanding from the city council. 

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Nothing is that binary. "Not needing a publicly funded park" is not accurately painting this situation. This city needs more help for the poor, but so does every other major city. This sounds like political even more grandstanding from the city council. 

*County commission

• Like 3

On 4/10/2018 at 7:56 PM, JBS said:

Did anyone else know about this:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article208451364.html#storylink=latest_side

Very surprising based on proximity to new park.  That said, I support ALL new parks and greenways even if the location is curious.  I don't agree with some of the commissioner comments.  In my view, Uptown is for everyone and I sincerely doubt a new park will primarily be used by the wealthy.  That rich people are apparently willing to fund a significant portion should be applauded and not criticized.

At first I was surprised that they would specifically want a park there of all places, considering the amazing First Ward Park is a block away... but then... I was trying to eat lunch at FWP today, and a whole class of elementary age school kids were using the enire grassy area, being kind of loud. In that moment, I would have loved to weave down the rail trail, one block over, and have an entirely different park option.

If/when this gets done, First Ward to NoDa will really be 1.5 miles of Greenway and parks. Pretty sweet.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

At first I was surprised that they would specifically want a park there of all places, considering the amazing First Ward Park is a block away... but then... I was trying to eat lunch at FWP today, and a whole class of elementary age school kids were using the enire grassy area, being kind of loud. In that moment, I would have loved to weave down the rail trail, one block over, and have an entirely different park option.

If/when this gets done, First Ward to NoDa will really be 1.5 miles of Greenway and parks. Pretty sweet.

Theres always kids out there.  It's great they have a place to play uptown.  Raise those youngin's to be UPpers who question why Charlotte doesn't have 1000 footers like NYC (until they realize what economics are)

I'd like to see more high school aged kids involved uptown. College students are rolling in. Families are bringing their kids in a lot these days. The more demographics served by uptown, the better IMO. As annoying as screaming little kids are. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Theres always kids out there.  It's great they have a place to play uptown.  Raise those youngin's to be UPpers who question why Charlotte doesn't have 1000 footers like NYC (until they realize what economics are)

I'd like to see more high school aged kids involved uptown. College students are rolling in. Families are bringing their kids in a lot these days. The more demographics served by uptown, the better IMO. As annoying as screaming little kids are. 

Oh my bad, no, I love the little tykes! I can only hope I raise my kids to be comfortable navigating this city.

I just took note in that moment how great an interconnected series of distinct parks would be in a multiple-block stretch (as opposed to one massive giant park, a la Bearden)

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

The high school kids tend to head over to Romare Bearden and mingle in that area in the late afternoons and evenings. They are out there being their ridiculous, annoying selves and I love it (most of the time).

• Like 1