Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you give me some history? Woodward looks like it was supposed to be the main street simply for it's location.
Judge Woodward's original intent was that 200' wide Washington was to be the main street, since it runs due north/south, and would've been one of the region's main arteries under his plan. However, the French had started the tradition of building perpendicular to the river when they constructed the ribbon farms in that manner. So naturally early development in Detroit also occured perpendicular to the river. So while it was not the intent for Woodward to become the main street, it just happened.

Of course the state capitol was supposed to be constructed in Grand Circus Park so that you'd get a nice vista of the building while looking up Washington, but it was decided that it was too far out (beyond Adams Street was the woods), so they settled on Capitol Park instead.

I can't believe I didn't know this. So, historic Detroit started developing west of Woodward first?

Wait, I remember now, Fort Pontchartrain was actually where the Hotel Pontchartrain is today, so the city did start west of what would become Woodward. Woodward was a Native American trail, wasn't it, as were most the spoke roads?

Not my photo, but an interesting view I don't think I've ever seen of Campus Martius Park (courtesy of Rundell Ernstberger Associates, LLC):

CMP-aerial.jpg

Detroit has its heart back. The park makes everything else around it feel so cosmopolitan. I can't think of a more worthwhile downtown development. It's probably helped spur more interest than anything that happened after Comerica and Ford Field were built.

It's probably helped spur more interest than anything that happened after Comerica and Ford Field were built.

True.

The stadium district spurred a lot of resturaunt and entertainment type development, something that was already somewhat sustainable downtown. CMart brought a quality of life component that really makes residential a much more enticing and worthwhile development in the CBD. Plus, creating a place like this is very good for surrounding (retail) businesses.

Yes, whether people in American cities realize it or not, they want a central meeting place. A place where you can say "meet me at..." and everyone knows what you're talking about. Downtown seemed so disorganized before the revitalization of this square (and after Kennedy Square was destroyed). And, it still does, but much less than before. If the city can somehow find a bridge to the westside of downtown, everything would fall into place. Currently, there is no mirror to Greektown in southwest downtown.

I was driving on the far east side today before a planned dinner with some friends at Slow's when I noticed black smoke billowing into the sky a few blocks away. I drove over like a madman, knowing there was a fire. I arrived to see flames shooting out of a dormer on the second story of a 1920s bungalow. I called the DFD, then proceeded to snap as many photos as I possibly could. About 3 minutes later the first fire truck showed up. It was clear that the fire had been delibrately set. Neighbors came from blocks around to view the spectacle. Some saw it as entertainment, while others were very upset that some idiot had destroyed yet another piece of their neighborhood.

2005_10_30.jpg

"Nice" probably wouldn't be the most appropriate word for the effect. Interesting may be a better term.

I used the word nice because it adds some grittiness to the photo, and from that standpoint i like it. I personally think those people are complete morons but for the photo i think its nice. Is that PC enough?