Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michi,

Hotel Yorba is still operational. These days it is more like an apartment building, though it appeared that some truckers who had just come over from Canada were staying the night there.

Oh, thanks for that info. I didn't know that.

That clock pic is very mysterious. It helps tell the story of Detroit. :)

Alright now your just pissing me off. :)
LOL, it never hurts to have too many friends in high places. ;)

Maybe you just need to become a Detroit photo whore like me. :P

It helps that I practically live downtown these days. I have way too much free time on my hands. And people told me that taking 20 credits wasn't possible! Of course it helps that I'm taking about 10 credits of bullcrap. LOL.

Ugh...horrible lapses in the photo of the day again. I really can't help it though. It's midterms, and I've been working 24/7 on my presentation for Thursday. I haven't actually left the building where my studio is for two days now. I haven't slept in three days either, but sleep is overrated. :)

Anyway, Here is north Corktown....

2005_10_12.jpg

To be honest, if the homes are occupied than I'm not worried how they look. As long as the lot is being used for something good, I dont care what is on it. At this point in redevelopment, I dont think we can be picky about new housing that goes up in the city-that is picky about the design. The important thing is that homes are being built and occupied.

hmmm.... I don't know what a loft in manhattan has to do with this, but I was really wondering why a picture of houses only distinctive in their poor architectural design was posted in the first place. I'm not against the fact that it was posted, I'm really just wondering why, because maybe there's a good answer.

I like them they fit in nicely with the North Corktown neighborhood.

well I don't know too much about Detroit, as I have never been there, assuming that North Corktown is a historical neighborhood, its easy for me to distinguish these houses as new based on their unintelligent design. Bad design is a good indicator that something was built in the last 50 years. So unless N. Corktown is made up of poorly designed houses (which I highly doubt, as it is in Detroit, a city of architectural excellence), I can't imagine how these houses would blend in with a historical context. What's even more ridiculous, is that these houses obviously aren't designed in a contemporary style, which leads me to believe they were commissioned specifically to fit in a historical context. This demonstrates how bad the architect is that designed these houses, because designing wood frame, multi-family houses is not a particularly difficult commission, and this particular designer made a simple assignment terrible. I mean, if this was done by a high school student taking an architecture class, it would be alright (but even my high school, which was very small, btw, produced houses far superior to these). But for someone who gets paid to design a house, this is an example of absolutely no design ability. The fa

Edited by jackson