Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackson, you are awfully opinionated too know little about Detroit. Maybe it's better if you sit back and take it all in before making broad judgements. I'm not a big fan of the architecture, either, but your whole attitude trying to make the person that posted the pics feel like there was no need for them is perhaps something you should have kept to yourself.

Except for the ridiculously ugly paint scheme and some disproportioned window sizes, the houses aren't too bad. They look pretty close to the character of the neighborhood. Granted, they aren't the most beautiful structures, but why should they be?

Yes, Corktown has its share of nice homes, but other than that, many of the surrounding areas are just your typical 2 story framehouses. These were built merely to fit in. Although, yes, the cosmetic touches on these structures are not so attractive.

Why is posted? Well because to most people who don't know the city still see it as a blighted, crime infested mess with no new construction. Well, Allan found some making it necessary to post.

It's really ironic you post such a comment jackson. My good friend from White Plains, NY was over in Mexicantown, just a short distance from Corktown and believed that no one would ever want to build a new home in SW Detroit. Uhm... well, looks like I got something to prove.

Edited by wolverine

Jackson, I took the liberty of finding the threads where Allan posted pictures of Corktown, perhaps then you can get more of a feeling for where these houses are supposed to be. These are the historical homes they were based on:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...190&hl=Corktown

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...191&hl=Corktown

While I admit they might not be as good, they certainly weren't just thrown together as I'm sure these would be pretty expensive to replicate completely.

WS

Edited by Wordsmith

I live in Detroit and I didn't know those houses were built. If anything, as an urban planner, I like learning of stuff like this because I'm very critical of what goes on in this city (critical meaning I tend to weigh positives and negatives and ask myself questions).

Detroit isn't a typical case by any means, and these houses illustrate that. My Manhattan comment relates to what the typical Detroit homebuyer can afford and what type of neighborhoods the city is layed out as (not Manhattan).

These houses aren't that bad. Sure they're nothing compared to what was built 100 years ago, but we live in a different time. In an era of McMansions on cul-de-sacs 50 miles outside of town, seeing these built can be nothing but good. Especially since they didn't use aluminum or vinyl siding! (At least it appears as such.)

Besides, you're looking at them while they're still under construction. Once the yards are manicured and the knick-knacks go up anyone who says they would rather see a street of empty lots is just a moron.

alright, alright, they're not that bad. But the point I'm driving at is that these houses are worse than what exists in the rest of the nieghborhood--doesn't that just seem wrong? I mean, when we build things, don't we want them to be better, rather than stand out as being not as good? Understood, there probably wasn't a giant budget to build these. However, the architect should do better than this, no matter what the budget. I looked at the links of the neighborhood, and it shows that these houses show a trend of worse and worse architecture, and its too bad that the newest addition is simply a continuation of that trend. I am in no way against modern architecture, but I think that if you're going to do something traditional, you don't have to try and be innovative in the sense that you stive for a worse version of a simple house that we had previously built perfectly fine and abandoning some basic principals of design without having a specific concept as to what you want your structure to look like. And if this is the final product of this architect's effort towards this design in such a sensitive urban environment as this, then I'd say we've reached a new low in architectual design.

But anyways its good to see some redevelopment taking place, and some clean and decent housing being created for low-income families. But its definately going to do at least a little to contribute to the vitality of the neighborhood, and I hope this effort continues.

But my opinion stands: the houses are poorly designed.

Jackson, how can you expect better than what was in a past with a city half its former self? Even Detroit's old mediocre architecture is going to be better than the mediocre of today in almost every case.

I think the thing you seem to be missing is just how much Detroit lost in terms of people investing in the city.

BTW, your point only stands on the grounds of the architecture. The houses are no more or less shoddy (structurally, than many of the old, frame houses currently in the neighborhood).

Someone please point this guy towards a Corktown thread and show him what the current housing looks like. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it will not change his opinion. Maybe, its just a lost cause, and we should just move on, and use this thread what it was supposed to be used for.

Detroit architecture these days is based heavily on economics. The sooner you realize that the sooner you will appreciate this development.
I appreciate architecture based on talent and effort, and how well a building's elements of mass satisfies the environment that its in. And that's it.

BTW, your point only stands on the grounds of the architecture.

Those are precisely the grounds that I speak on. Although I've used strong words to criticize these houses, I don't really feel strong one way or the other about them. In fact, I most certainally beleive that they will have a positive effect on the neighborhood. However, the point that I'm making is that these homes, from an architectual standpoint, are far inferior in comparison to the other homes in the neighborhood. Why is it that nobody else seems to care that what we build today is inferior to what we used to build? Shouldn't we, as a society, embrace advancement in what we create, as opposed to creating something that is worse than what we built houndreds of years ago? What Kind of message does this send, that we accept this?

I'm sorry, but I simply don't settle for this. I guess you guys don't really care that architecture, which is the physical representation of the vitality of our civilization, is worse than what it used to be. Why doesn't anybody else see this as the very opposite of evolution?

I don't know. But hey, at least we've generated some discussion over the issue.

Edited by jackson

Jackson I understand your point that the houses built weren't exactly designed to there predecessors. But As you found out Detroiters have a strong affinity to their city. The houses built in north corktown respresent much more than merely houses that aren't perfect. The houses are a symbol of revitalization. This is huge because of the political, economic and racial turmoil that has ravaged the city, the region, the state and the country for the last fifty years. From the white flight in the 50's, 60's and 70's to the riots in the 60's to the automotive industry's technological revolution which laid off 10's of thousands of workers to corrupt mayors. So, although the homes in north corktown may not be symmetrical and everything else. That is I guess not the point.

Great picture. I love the way the lines match up.

I'm sorry, but I simply don't settle for this. I guess you guys don't really care that architecture, which is the physical representation of the vitality of our civilization, is worse than what it used to be. Why doesn't anybody else see this as the very opposite of evolution?

No we do care. The people you are speaking to are architecture students and people interested in urban planning. Whats happening in Corktown is great for the city but its only babysteps. Detroit is trying to rise from the ashes and the first people to develope arent going to build great homes with great architecture. That would be stupid. Detroit's neighborhoods have some great old homes with lots of character but thats because they were built in a different time. A time when there was much more money in the city and people were flocking to work in the auto industry. Until Detroit recovers fully you wont see homes like that. Until then you will see projects like this that are less expensive but try to honor the history of the area while keeping things affordable. See it for what it is and try to understand the city before wasting too much breath on how you dont like the architecture of affordable housing in a neighborhood thats trying to make its way back.

I can agree that architecture is definitely not as great as it used to be. I think a lot of people can agree on that. Why? It's because the a lack of pride in our work. We don't pump as much money into constructing buildings as we used to and architecture has become so space oriented, that the aesthetic qualities that once made buildings appealing are gone. Jackson, I think a lot of people agree with you that these houses don't exhibit the best architecture. If I had it my way, they'd look like all the other 100 year old houses in the area. But building those simply isn't cost effective, and is a huge risk considering Detroit still has an unstable real estate market. At least these houses are better than the housing projects and block units that got thrown up around the city in the 50's. You already understand that Detroit is not the best place to live in the US. Therefore it's exciting to see some new development going up that shows an attempt to preserve the surrounding character of the neighborhood.

All I'm saying is put architecture asside on this one. Damn, we are getting buildings at least! We've been rambling about a 5 story condo building going up in midtown for over a year now while dozens of new buildings two to three times that height are giong up around the outside of Detroit. So I think the posting of this is necessary. Ugly or not, at least something is getting done to improve the neighborhood.

Oh, and nice photo Michi. Sorry to be a dumbass, but is that taken with a new camera. I'm sure this was asked before.

Jackson,

Because, if I'm not mistaken, we can't afford to build that way. Especially here. This region is certainly lacking in those that appreciate the old versus the new and therefore the money simply does not flow as it should. It affects everything, especially quality. And given what I've seen around here--and I'm sorry to say this--but these houses are a step up. A century ago it was possible to build these houses within a reasonable budget while these days even the detailing can be considered an unnecessary frivolity, as it entails--you guessed it, more money. Vicious cycle.

WS

Edited by Wordsmith

Oh, and nice photo Michi. Sorry to be a dumbass, but is that taken with a new camera. I'm sure this was asked before.

No, that's one of Tony's pictures. He gave me permission to use them since I'm always there to go out and take photographs of the city.

But I DO have a new camera that I've been using since August now and am building myself a nice sized library of photos. I just have to get some webspace which should hopefully happen very soon.

Fountain Pics:

DMI32.jpg

DMI100.jpg